• ...and so much more!
  • mike4sigs

Master
    Rating - 94.4%
    34   2   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County
    Word of Advise to everyone
    Before you Mess with some Body Make sure you know who you are messing with.
    Several Years Ago i had 3 cold sales call in one night. i figured My # had just been sold and i was tired of it . So the Very next Call that i received was a # that i did not recognize. so when i Answered it. i Answered it in a Squeaky Voice with a weird accent and some made up language and they hung up. They called right back Repeat from Call 1 , 3 call back Same thing, However the lady on the other end Identified herself .Crap it was a customer service person from a Company that we was needing to talk to.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    When I'm bored I like to see how long I can keep them on the phone. Last batch I'd hook them pretty well and then tell them it was time to watch the 700 club and they'd have to call back tomorrow. Listen to them scramble.... ahhh.... good times.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    A 3pound hammer hitting full force on a steel bench right next to the phone works wonders.
    My extended warranty is about to expire on my vehicle? Sure, love to renew it. What do I have? 1963 Ford Falcon.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    My latest is when they call wanting to buy my house I tell them they sound like a nice girl and ask why they are working for those that want to steal my house? I go on and on embellishing as I go but you get he gist...

Neal

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    North central Indiana
    After reading all the posts in this thread, I was thinking,
    if everyone responded to phone scammers like all of you,
    maybe the phone scam industry would die out. When my dad was living and he received an unwanted call, he would tell them
    to hold on. Then he would lay the handset down and go finish
    watching his TV show and when it was over he would go back to
    the phone and the telemarketer/scammer was gone. Now that we have cell phones only, if we do not recognize the number, we do not answer. For a while, I was getting calls every day or 2 from Marion, Indiana. But, every call was from a different number. After a week or 2 they must have given up. Lately the callers
    that have left voicemails, its about eliminating tax debt or
    help with student load forgiveness, even though we have
    neither.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    When you block a number using *67 or whatever - is it blocking the real number or the spoofed number?

I have never blocked a number, mostly because they appear different every time anyhow. But that is the spoofed number. If there is a way to block the real numbers that might be useful.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    When you block a number using *67 or whatever - is it blocking the real number or the spoofed number?

I have never blocked a number, mostly because they appear different every time anyhow. But that is the spoofed number. If there is a way to block the real numbers that might be useful.
    Its not for inbound calls.

*67 is used by YOU when you want to call somebody without THEM knowing its you calling.

When you use *67 (and then dial the number) the recipient sees "anonymous" instead of seeing your number.

So if you want to use it, dial *67 317 555-1212 and the recipient will not know its you.

EDIT: Why am I explaining old school 30 year old technology?

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

*67 is used by YOU when you want to call somebody without THEM knowing its you calling.

When you use *67 (and then dial the number) the recipient sees "anonymous" instead of seeing your number.

So if you want to use it, dial *67 317 555-1212 and the recipient will not know its you.

Right - I really wanted to know how to block the actual number of spammer calls.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville

*67 was the only way to make prank calls after caller id messed it up. We had a friend of ours that worked at Casey’s gas station crying one day, he really thought he sold us old donuts that gave us the ****s and was gonna get his ass kicked for it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I like that - a concise answer. :)
    In THEORY, using an iphone you can put every single number that you want to call you into your contact list. Then put it on do not disturb mode, and enable "allow calls from all contacts."

Everybody else goes straight to VM.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    In THEORY, using an iphone you can put every single number that you want to call you into your contact list. Then put it on do not disturb mode, and enable "allow calls from all contacts."

Everybody else goes straight to VM.
    This might actually work for me for my iphone. My list of people I want to call me is probably shorter than most. But the scammer calls problem is much worse on my land line than my cell phone.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    This might actually work for me for my iphone. My list of people I want to call me is probably shorter than most. But the scammer calls problem is much worse on my land line than my cell phone.
    Easy to fix. Remove the land line.
    My father and mother still have the land line but their provider is rather inexpensive. My mother in law was paying 70 a month for her’s and we switched her to a cell phone based in home phone for 30 a month plus 5 a month for the phone itself till paid off.

i did have to answer the “it does not work there is no dial time when I pick it up”. And the I lost all the hand helds phones. The first one she got after a few days. The second one I fixed by using an old coiled land line cord and attached it to the base and one of the hand helds so she kept it in the kitchen.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Easy to fix. Remove the land line.
    That would be a big step for me.
    My land mine costs $19.99 per month through my cable provider. I have 8 cordless phones scattered throughout the house and garage. Everybody that calls me uses that number. I enjoy the convenience of having a phone handy all over without carrying anything. When I first got a cell phone I tried carrying it around. I broke two screens just doing normal activities. I found it to be quite a hassle to carry the damn thing everywhere.
    I only use the cell phone when I go to the cabin, or anywhere out of town I guess - that is if I remember to grab it. I have unlimited data for $50 per month and rarely use any of it. I find my iPad to be so much better and easier than the phone for online stuff.

I know everybody loves cell phones but to me they are a step backwards in convenience.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That would be a big step for me.
    My land mine costs $19.99 per month through my cable provider. I have 8 cordless phones scattered throughout the house and garage. Everybody that calls me uses that number. I enjoy the convenience of having a phone handy all over without carrying anything. When I first got a cell phone I tried carrying it around. I broke two screens just doing normal activities. I found it to be quite a hassle to carry the damn thing everywhere.
    I only use the cell phone when I go to the cabin, or anywhere out of town I guess - that is if I remember to grab it. I have unlimited data for $50 per month and rarely use any of it. I find my iPad to be so much better and easier than the phone for online stuff.

I know everybody loves cell phones but to me they are a step backwards in convenience.
    DoggyMama is hard on her cell phones for some reason. I don't know if she's ever had one that she didn't eventually crack the screen on. I keep mine in my front pocket when I carry it and have never ever cracked a screen, dropped it in a toilet (she used to clean houses and did that a lot!), or anything like that. Maybe it's because I so rarely use it. We both have the same unlimited plans through Straight Talk (Walmart) but I'm sure I probably only use maybe 200 minutes or less per month, but she'll be closer to 2 or 3 thousand. :n00b:

Top Bottom