• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • straittactical

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   1
    Dec 16, 2008
    I was thinking of picking up some rappelling gear and was looking for some advice. first is there any good places to rappel around northern Indiana.
    and what is some good gear to get. best quality for the money. I dont want to go the cheapest route. considering a equipment malfunction could mean death. But on the same note is the Most expensive nescessary.
    any info would be great
    thanks

r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside
    If you are just starting - find a school. If you have rappelled at AIT or the School of Infantry - find a school. If you have some experience - find a partner with more experience or find a school.

Don't try to save money on equipment - ropes wear out, get abraided, and weaken. Get the best harness you can afford - same with ropes.

Petzl is rather good as is Omega Pacific. Research the equipment, ask knowledgable climbers and read up.

The decent is a rush but the preparation and preservation is a drag (as well as expensive).

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    If you are just starting - find a school. If you have rappelled at AIT or the School of Infantry - find a school. If you have some experience - find a partner with more experience or find a school.

Don't try to save money on equipment - ropes wear out, get abraided, and weaken. Get the best harness you can afford - same with ropes.

Petzl is rather good as is Omega Pacific. Research the equipment, ask knowledgable climbers and read up.

The decent is a rush but the preparation and preservation is a drag (as well as expensive).

Good advice ALL!

I did SOME rappelling in my high school days. We did not know from good equipment. There was NO internet to search. We went out and bought our ropes (hemp) at the local hardware store, along with a D-ring.
    We manufactured our own harnesses out of the rope (VERY uncomfortable) and headed down to Turkey Run, to drop off the cliffs they have there. At the time, if caught, you would be scolded and run out of the park.
    Now, such actions will SURELY land you in the gray-bar motel!

That was a whole lot of fun!

KIDS, Please don't try this at home!

quiggly

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Noblesville
    Rappelling is the death rush of a climber.

Most rock climbers will tell you they hate the rappel as that is where the most things can go wrong.

That being said I have fun doing both. Mostly because I am not a good climber.

Not many places you can go "legally" unless you can get permission to go off buildings. I learned by tree climbing. Find some big trees climb up and jump off.

If you want to try it, you can learn at one of the rock gyms. I suggest Climb Time towers as it seems more relaxed and there is a couple of nice areas that you can do a short climb then rig your rappel.

You don't need really expensive equipment but the cost difference isn't a bunch between good and fair equipment.

Harness probably 2 for you and a friend. Get an ATC if you are of reasonable weight and strength. Campmor usually has some good deals on climbing equipment. Get yourself a static rope not a dynamic one. You are paying extra for a rope that will stretch and you do not need it unless you get into lead climbing. Then you will need some assortment of slings rings and or carabiners to rig your anchors. This will vary widely depending on what you want to climb / rappel from. Leather gloves are an option worth the investment once you start to go fast.

Climbing is like shooting. Seems intimidating at first but most of the people in the sport are always willing to help out newbies and get them interested in the sport.

PM me if you want more information.

EDIT: Sorry I thought you said Central Indiana. Same still applies I just don't know of any Gyms up that way.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Check out:
    REI online &
    TAD Gear online

Rappeling and fast roping is fun but please be careful.I did it in the military and tho we had top notch training,I haven't done any since being a civilian.

jstrahl

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 22, 2009
    Franklin
    I did some when I was younger and in Boy Scouts. A couple of our leaders were ex-military and bought all the equipment. We would go down to Mammoth Cave in Kentucky a few times each year and one year for Spring Break we went down to some state park in Huntsville, AL. Not sure if there is anything up North, but in Bloomington there used to be a great indoor climbing facility. Some place like that would probably be able to answer any questions concerning gear.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    If you're looking for an outdoor place to rappel, and don't mind driving, I believe there is a place somewhere in the Hoosier National Forest that they allow rappelling. I'm not sure if its any good, or how challenging it is, but thought I would mention it. I've never done rappelling, I just happened to see a paper about it at the HNF office in Bedford when I went there once.

Top Bottom