Anyone buy Kirkland branded canned chicken?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    After a trip through, the hot dog will cost you $150, maybe more.
    Like I said, I've never been to Costco or Sam's, but I think I went to Wholesale Club when they were in business and didn't see any real savings. Just because something comes in a giant container doesn't mean it's cheaper if you calculate the cost per unit of measure.

Lpherr

Occupied
    Like I said, I've never been to Costco or Sam's, but I think I went to Wholesale Club when they were in business and didn't see any real savings. Just because something comes in a giant container doesn't mean it's cheaper if you calculate the cost per unit of measure.
    Just have to watch what you buy. There are some good savings, and each have better prices than the other on some items.
    Example: Dole 3lb bag salad is $1.98 at Sam's, and at the grocery it's a 1lb bag for $2.69.
    Two loaves of bread at Costco, is only $.30 more than the exact single loaf at the grocery.
    Any of the meats are a lower cost at Costco, than the grocery, and the quality is better.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Just have to watch what you buy. There are some good savings, and each have better prices than the other on some items.
    Example: Dole 3lb bag salad is $1.98 at Sam's, and at the grocery it's a 1lb bag for $2.69.
    Two loaves of bread at Costco, is only $.30 more than the exact single loaf at the grocery.
    Any of the meats are a lower cost at Costco, than the grocery, and the quality is better.
    A 1 lb. bag of salad goes bad before we can use it. A loaf of bread lasts me at least 2 weeks. Meat (except bacon) mostly sits in the freezer unless I am buying it to use the same or next day. DoggyMama eats like a bird, so I don't cook nearly as much as I used to, and what I do cook ends up getting thrown out. That's why I eat out so much.

Lpherr

Occupied
    A 1 lb. bag of salad goes bad before we can use it. A loaf of bread lasts me at least 2 weeks. Meat mostly sits in the freezer unless I am buying it to use the same or next day. DoggyMama eats like a bird, so I don't cook nearly as much as I used to, and what I do cook ends up getting thrown out. That's why I eat out so much.
    Of course, it's not sensible for everyone. I eat in bulk, so I buy in bulk.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Of course, it's not sensible for everyone. I eat in bulk, so I buy in bulk.
    My preference would be to eat in, but I just can't seem to cut down recipes enough to just make "a" meal. Even when I am just making steaks and baked potatoes, I'll eat mine, and she will eat half a steak (if that) and half a potato. And then the next day, she may not eat at all. :(

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    A 1 lb. bag of salad goes bad before we can use it. A loaf of bread lasts me at least 2 weeks. Meat (except bacon) mostly sits in the freezer unless I am buying it to use the same or next day. DoggyMama eats like a bird, so I don't cook nearly as much as I used to, and what I do cook ends up getting thrown out. That's why I eat out so much.
    I purchase steaks and some other meat at Costco. I have a food vac sealer and package up steaks individually (she likes ribeyes and I like strip). That said, I'm going to have to start cutting hers in half before I seal and freeze them these days.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I purchase steaks and some other meat at Costco. I have a food vac sealer and package up steaks individually (she likes ribeyes and I like strip). That said, I'm going to have to start cutting hers I'm half before I seal and freeze them these days.
    I just got a FoodSaver vac sealer for Christmas and have been using it. Cutting her steaks in half is a great idea!

Lpherr

Occupied
    I purchase steaks and some other meat at Costco. I have a food vac sealer and package up steaks individually (she likes ribeyes and I like strip). That said, I'm going to have to start cutting hers I'm half before I seal and freeze them these days.
    We do that sometimes, when the steaks are cut real thick. We'll half the steak, and have salad, along with other sides.
    It's more than filling, and can stretch the steaks out.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I purchase steaks and some other meat at Costco. I have a food vac sealer and package up steaks individually (she likes ribeyes and I like strip). That said, I'm going to have to start cutting hers in half before I seal and freeze them these days.
    You use the left overs the next morning for steak and eggs. (Scramble omelette burrito taco take your pick)

Lpherr

Occupied
    You use the left overs the next morning for steak and eggs. (Scramble omelette burrito taco take your pick)
    Yes sir, cook the steak to a rare - med rare the night before, and slice it up, and add onion, mushroom, cheese, and place inside an omelet. With a side of hash browns, it makes an excellent start to the day.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I just bought a six-pack of canned chicken from Costco...Kirkland brand. Price was attractive for the size of the cans compared to Walmart, Meijer, etc. Basically 75 oz (12.5 oz per can) for $16.

I haven't tried it yet, but the cans themselves seem a little thin. By that I mean, the cans seem to be made of a thin metal...squeezable to some degree. I tried to squeeze some other cans I had on hand (beans, vegetables, etc.) and they seemed more squeeze resistant.

Anyone else have this experience?
    I use it in a number of dishes. I think it is good.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    We've had that Kirkland Chicken in rotation for over a year now. The OG uses it in lots of recipes. Her Chicken Quesadillas are pretty awesome. Shelf life is very prepper friendly.

Top Bottom