• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I am looking at a SOUTHERN MOUNTAIN RIFLE KIT sold by Jim Kibler. Styling is from the 1820s based on the work of Whitson in western North Carolina. I was wondering just how close the inletting is on putting it together. I remember the kits from the 70's and don't want to spend a $1000 on junk for me. Would like to talk to someone that has bought and assembled one of the kits.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    I built a Kibler 58 caliber Colonial recently. It was easy, inletting was very close, required minimal work to fit it well. IMG_2793 2.jpg
    Took longer to fit the ramrod than anything else. Quality of all the components are the best you are going to find. Lock is fast and well assembled.
    I ordered the mid grade wood and it has a lot of figure. More than satisfied.

These are not like any other kit offered. Talked to Jim on the phone and thru email several times. Jim and his wife are awesome at customer service and answered a couple dumb questions I had very quickly.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    You read about people doing these rifles in a few days. I took 3 months to put mine together. Did the carving myself, practiced it on wood blocks until there was a good chance I could do it on the rifle correctly.

I enjoyed the whole process immensely. Now have a rifle that is a joy to shoot and look at that I had a hand in assembling.

Don

Top Bottom