• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    Well Friday after work I went to make some 9mm subsonic with my Dillon 1050 and just after refilling the primer filler kabooooooom. A primer detonated just after pulling the arm and all of the primers in the tube detonated and if it was not for the steel shroud the aluminum tube would have split into pieces. The rod for the low primer sensor is gone to outer space and i am missing a case. I have ordered the damaged and missing pieces from Dillon.

After talking to a buddy of mine he had the same experience and when he spoke to Dillon they immediately asked if he was using Federal primers. He was. I was also using Federal primers that I picked up years ago.

Anyone else have that problem?

Chuck

p.s. My dog is pretty squeamish to go to the basement with me after that. Scared him pretty bad.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Federal primers are known for mass detonation, that is why they come in much bigger packages, to allow more space between them. They use a more sensitive priming compound. It sounds like the Dillon priming system did its job in protecting you from the danger!

This is also why it's important that when a priming system (I know Lee does for some of theirs, I don't know about others) says not to use Federal primers in their system you should heed the warning!

Mossmug

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Greene County
    A Dillion 1000 in 223 did that with Rem 7 1/2 primers.

The metal primer tube held and I was not hurt ( ears ringing like hell ) .

The funniest thing was the cat that was sleeping about 5 feet from me flying thru the air . It would not go into reloading room for about 6 months .

Make sure your swaging station is doing it's job. I check several cases after that station with a hand reamer to make sure it goes into primer pocket without any pressure .:ar15:

GSPBirdDog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Henryville
    Well Friday after work I went to make some 9mm subsonic with my Dillon 1050 and just after refilling the primer filler kabooooooom. A primer detonated just after pulling the arm and all of the primers in the tube detonated and if it was not for the steel shroud the aluminum tube would have split into pieces. The rod for the low primer sensor is gone to outer space and i am missing a case. I have ordered the damaged and missing pieces from Dillon.

After talking to a buddy of mine he had the same experience and when he spoke to Dillon they immediately asked if he was using Federal primers. He was. I was also using Federal primers that I picked up years ago.

Anyone else have that problem?

Chuck

p.s. My dog is pretty squeamish to go to the basement with me after that. Scared him pretty bad.

I had the same thing happen to me last year while loading the first 1,000 bullets on my 650....I immediately called dillon and that was the first thing they asled me as well.....and yes Federal primer for me as well....Dillon sent me a whole new 650priming system and I only use CCI primers now.So far i haven't had that problem again and luckily my dog will still go in the basement with me!!! But then again he is a german shorthair bird dog and is used to the sound of gunfire:laugh: He just isn't used to the smell of a grown man ****ting himself:)::laugh::)::laugh: Kinda weird how our stories are so much alike and i have heard of this from others as well. Looks like dillon needs to take another look at their primer feeds!!! I even had problems on my SL900..damn 209 primers would jam all the time:noway:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Yikes! Another member told me of a similar experience last year. Same deal, 650 and Federal primers.

Anyone in the market for 2000 Federal LP primers?

rocked

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Fishers
    I've just finished up the last of my 2,000 Federal primers in a Dillon Square Deal and had no such issues. Sounds like I may have been lucky! I purchased 5k CCI primers at the 1500 and think after hearing these stories will make sure that's all I use from now on.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    330   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    CCI primers are notoriously harder than other primers on the market. I use them 100% of the time for my pistols and rifle reloading, and have never had a primer detonation. *knocks on wood* Lee also says not to use Federal primers in their auto prime systems, and although RCBS does not put similar warnings on their products, its quietly wispered under the table that detonations happen with their auto prime systems and Federal primers too.

I use Remington STS 209's, and have never had one detonate on my Mec 9000 either. Luck? Who knows.

Having said that, I know of only one rifle (a very dirty AR) with a FTF on CCI primers, it left a small ding in the primer cap, but didn't strike it hard enough to detonate. Never had any other problems though.

My rules, keep my guns clean and use hard primers. And if one ever seems to not want to seat, ***don't force it.***

mhs

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I've been using Winchester primers with my Loadmasters, and the only detonation I've had in way over 100,000 rounds is when I used a new decapper, and forgot to tighten the pin. I tried to seat a primer in a pocket that still had one, and blew up the primer I was trying to seat and several up the trough. Lee sent me a new primer assembly for free. Now I have a polycarb shield between me and the primers.

GSPBirdDog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Henryville
    This is just my personal opinion and opinions are like *******...everyone has one! I see no reason to buy anything other than CCI primers anyways as all primers are the same in cost...now if you are loading for benchrest ect.....then yeah,you might want to go with a different primer!
    As far as loading shotshells goes...I have always used Remington STS's as well as Winchester 209's with no problems! And i have owned A P/W 800C....Mec 9000H...and currently a Dillon SL900 with no primer detonations! But my favorites are the STS's when i can get them or afford them:)

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Dillon recommended Winchester primers when I got my first press, so that is what I've used. Never had any problems. Thanks for the warning about Federal primers.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    So I guess I should leave all this Federal Ammo I've been buying in the box and not dump it into ammo cans to save that little bit of space.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Op

Did you have a glock sitting next to you?

Dillon....

Federal Primers....

GLOCKS!!!!!

OMG!!! I'm gonna DIE!!!

picture46l.jpg

Last edited:

GSPBirdDog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Henryville
    So I guess I should leave all this Federal Ammo I've been buying in the box and not dump it into ammo cans to save that little bit of space.

The pressure being placed on the primer while being seated is totally different from the stresses placed on them while in a loaded case.Priming puts alot of pressure and at times extreme pressure if you stumble across one hard to seat...In that case a person needs to stop, pull that round out of the press and soak the half primed round in water or wd40 to be safe;)

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    The pressure being placed on the primer while being seated is totally different from the stresses placed on them while in a loaded case.Priming puts alot of pressure and at times extreme pressure if you stumble across one hard to seat...In that case a person needs to stop, pull that round out of the press and soak the half primed round in water or wd40 to be safe;)

This is a common misperception.

Neither water, nor oil will deactivate a primer. Primers are pretty hard to kill short of detonating them.

Top Bottom