Anyone Ambidextrous using their pistol????

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Any ambidextrous shooters here? Not people that practice left handed shooting but are right handed. I can pickup a gun or hammer in either hand and use. The only thing hard for me is writing with the left hand. Had the left hand hit to many times in the 1st and 2nd grade with a wood ruler if the pencil was in it. At one time if you took training on the use of a knife you could confuse the guy you were sparing with as trying was slanted toward right hand use.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Being cross-eye dominant also requires some adjustment, such as a modified Weaver stance. I was never completely left-handed, but use both. Learned fencing left handed, throw frisbee better left, periodically work on writing and brushing teeth left, play volleyball with either hand (which gets me in hot water with players that keep telling me to use both hands together). Most of my firearms are as ambi as possible, partly since our youngest is left handed.

Since I learned fencing left (it's an advantage as you mentioned, as most train against right handers), I keep my knife in the left pocket.

Last edited:

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I started out left handed but born in the 1960s and having a Dad that was 44 when I was born. I was not allowed to do anything but eat left handed. Way old school.

My writing skills sucks but have managed to be good shooting right or left When I shoot left it doesn't feel awkward so I'd be good either way.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    My brother-in-law qualified his FAM for both right and left. But when it came time to test if that worked or not, they wouldn't let him on active duty when he was rehabbing a right shoulder injury. Apparently it was on record somewhere that since is right hand was dominant it didn't matter and they wouldn't let him just switch.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I am right-handed, but last year I tore my right bicep and needed 2 surgeries. For several months I could only use my left hand for everything. That's the hard way to become abmbidextrous. When I went back to shooting, I used my left hand for a while. I have been shooting gunfigher style (SA revolver in each hand) in cowboy action for around 20 years. I have several COFs in my pistol league where we shoot weak-hand only, also. I more that occasionally train left-handed, I shoot that way quite often.

Right now I am back to shooting right handed when shooting with two hands. I'm not quite where I was, but close. For Bullseye shooting (one-handed) I still do better left-handed. I have shot sectional and state bullseye matches this year with my left hand and I placed about where I normally would shooting with my right. For years I have had a shake in right hand and hardly any in my left. Even when my right hand gets 100%, I think I will continue to shoot Slow-Fire with my left and I may shoot Timed and Rapid with my right hand.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Ambi waiting for my VP9 to come in. I am left eye dominant and shoulder fire weapons more effectively LH. I can write with either but my scribbling has always sucked for legibility.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I enjoy shooting a pistol with which ever hand I pick it up with, or which ever side of the table I happen to be at. Never had a problem with "weak hand" or "strong hand" because both hands are "strong".

And I do feel very lucky about it.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Ambi, L eye dominate and was forced to write right handed.

I am as screwed up as they could make me, but it sure makes it easy to shoot...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I bat and golf right handed, but everything else is left handed. I practice shooting right handed, but am no where as quick. I should practice more.
    I write, bat, golf, shoot and throw frisbee right handed, but throw and bowl left handed. Basically anything requiring more strength than precision I do left handed. I'm right eye dominant though. When I was a kid, I had the only pair of boxing gloves in my little group of friends, but that worked out for me because I could use the left glove and only block with my right hand, and they'd do the opposite.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I posted this on a thread about ambi safeties earlier but it's more relevant here.

I'm a lefty but I'm semi ambidextrous too. I wrote left handed up until age 6 when I broke my left wrist. After 8 weeks in a cast, the cast came off and I never stopped writing with my right hand. I throw left handed, shoot left handed, bat right handed, swing a golf club right handed, kick with my left foot, eat right handed, drive nails and use hand tools with either hand. Some of the right handed stuff I think I learned by mimicking my older brother. Here is the rub. I'm right eye dominant which doesn't work well for a lefty shooter. I can't shoot any handgun or long gun right handed to save my life. I need to teach myself that skill but at my age, old habits are very hard to break.

Top Bottom