• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    At one point I had a cheap Mosin M1944 or M1938 tanker. The crown had been counter bored. I guess the story goes that they were knocked around in the tank and their barrel crowns got messed up. With the short barrel, it kicked like a mule!
    In a nutshell. Soviet WWII tank crews weren't issued Mosins, or any other personal weapons for that matter. The M38 was a carbine for issue to machine gun crews, artillery, and other troops that had other primary jobs. Because these weren't their primary weapons they tended to get misused and beat up. The Soviet command in a rare moment of wisdom found the M38 to be a better all around weapon than the 91/30 with the exception of not having a bayonet. So, they stuck a folding bayonet on it and thus the M44, which then became the standard issue bolt action rifle.

Purdue1991

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 19, 2022
    In a nutshell. Soviet WWII tank crews weren't issued Mosins, or any other personal weapons for that matter. The M38 was a carbine for issue to machine gun crews, artillery, and other troops that had other primary jobs. Because these weren't their primary weapons they tended to get misused and beat up. The Soviet command in a rare moment of wisdom found the M38 to be a better all around weapon than the 91/30 with the exception of not having a bayonet. So, they stuck a folding bayonet on it and thus the M44, which then became the standard issue bolt action rifle.
    Thanks for the info. That makes perfect sense.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2022
    Indianapolis
    I bought my 91/30 several years ago, but haven't gotten the chance to shoot it yet. I will some day, I just have to make it down to Atterbury since none of the Indy indoor ranges allow any rifle calibers larger than 5.56. (To the best of my knowledge.)

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    @GrammatonCleric1982 check with Tim's Shooting Academy in Westfield. I Beetlejuice you can shoot it there.

No steel core or ammo attracted to a magnet, so you'll probably have to spend for modern commercial ammo.
    Just don’t say it two more times. iPhone with a new update? It’s driving me crazy too.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I fired one of these monsters once. No love from me. In fact I turned down a trade of 5 Mosins for 1 of my 03 Springfield.....I couldn't say NO fast enough or often enough.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    I too haven't had the Mosins out in a couple lustrum. I've got a real nice 91/30pu, likely a reproduction; but, it's a lot of fun to shoot. And an early M1944, it makes quite a fireball at dusk. I've gotta shoot more!

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Had two at one time. Sold for other projects.
    They are fun so shoot, but not all that practical. For the money they're going for now I'd probably just buy a modern bolt action with a rail.

Mij

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Just yesterday watched the movie where Ed Harris n Jude Law (Enemy at the Gate) were snipers, one a 98 mauser the other a mosin. Got me thinking about mine.

I started to sporterize the long one. Restocked, with composit stock, bedded action, turned down bolt, I need to scope it. Haven’t shot it in a few years.

I still have a bunch of that AP stuff. It blows through 3/8 boiler plate at 300 meters like butter. Sites are measured in arsins what ever that is.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    Just yesterday watched the movie where Ed Harris n Jude Law (Enemy at the Gate) were snipers, one a 98 mauser the other a mosin. Got me thinking about mine.

I started to sporterize the long one. Restocked, with composit stock, bedded action, turned down bolt, I need to scope it. Haven’t shot it in a few years.

I still have a bunch of that AP stuff. It blows through 3/8 boiler plate at 300 meters like butter. Sites are measured in arsins what ever that is.
    Great movie! Haven’t shot my T53 in a while. That movie always makes me want to take it out to the range.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    I certainly would like to find a legit sniper with a crisp barrel myself.
    I had purchased my Mosin when they were 100$ with a can. I was pretty invested in 54R that prompt me to seek out a PSL which is 100% easier on the body than the m44! :banana:

This project was totally inspired by Enemy At The Gates!
    MOSIN 7.62x54R
    91B758EC-3FDC-430C-A5D9-BE174B9F80F2.jpeg

Last edited:

Firehawk

a.k.a. Rainmaker, Rainhawk, Firemaker or whatever
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    A Mosin Nagant 1891/30 was the first gun I ever bought. And the first gun I shot bigger than a .22. Go big or go home right? I still have it and love it but haven’t shot it in a long time.

1669413297139.jpeg
    1669413358889.jpeg

Top Bottom