• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Bought mine from a guy here on Ingo for 60. Could prob get 300 for it.
    But I can't bring myself to part with it.
    My nagant revolver I'd let go but never the mosin.

easy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    SEOK
    Have a 91/59 and T53. Gave a couple of T53s as Christmas presents a few years back. They're cool guns. Looking for 'deals' if you no longer want yours!

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Two 91/30's a M-38 and a really nice M-44 all Russian and still about one and a half spam cans of ammo plus some good brass cased ammo. I call the M-38 my get away gun, if you are on a crowded range people start to leave when you start shooting. Might have something to do with the pumpkin size fireball. The 91/30's will keep intruders at bay across the street if you fix bayonet that is a pretty good reach. Any way love the ones I have. Jim.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    We were up to 8 in the collection at one point and that’s not counting the two that I refinished and gave to family as birthday presents. We are now down to three. Two Finn captures and an M38. They get run once or twice a year and are best enjoyed shooting prone in deep snow. Shooting a Finnish capture Mosin in the snow is a heck of a lot of fun.

Tims87gn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    Floyds Knobs
    Half of my collection is Finnish MNs. Absolutely love them and their history. They are the finest variants out there. And I also agree the carbines (M38, M44, T53) are a blast to shoot, but the shoulder gets pretty tired of their beating after a while.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Lots of love for mine! Have owned a few variants from Russia, Finland, Poland, Romania, Hungary, and China. Still have a few from Russia, Finland, and China and quite a few crates of ammo. A run-of-the-mill Izhevsk 91/30 was the second gun I ever bought, "handpicked" from a gun shop trashcan in 2003 for $99 :laugh: Still have that one, but man do I wish I knew then what I know now when digging through piles of these things - back then as a broke college student my only criteria was trying to avoid cleaning cosmo; I had zero idea what markings, characteristics, and other things made a gun unique or collectible. I remember shooting an M38 at night for the first time - between the concussion and the muzzle flash you might as well have been standing next to a Space Shuttle launch. They are fun, reliable, and resilient shooters, and are truly the quintessential milsurp gun IMHO.

Two of my favorites - a Finn M39 and an authentic, numbers matching PU sniper (pretty easy to tickle steel at 300 yards with surplus Russian silvertip):

a9n6KJyh.jpg

J9R7Lcah.jpg
    That PU is Gorgeous.. I so wish I would have gotten one back when they were affordable lol.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I had one. After every shot I had to take a rubber mallet to open the bolt. Tried every remedy I could find to no avail. It would have been fun if I could have fixed that little issue.

That is the same rifle that shot my dad through the neck in WWII. Kinda weird, but my brother and I thought it was neat to own a version of the gun that dad saw the business end of and survived to talk about it. :)
    Wow! Thats some history right there.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Half of my collection is Finnish MNs. Absolutely love them and their history. They are the finest variants out there. And I also agree the carbines (M38, M44, T53) are a blast to shoot, but the shoulder gets pretty tired of their beating after a while.
    I'm jealous. Would love a Finn.

Does anyone remember the website of the lady that had the MASSIVE cache of Mosins for sale? She was in NY state, I believe. Always sent really dry emails and used ALLCAPS alot...great inventory and always came through, but was possibly the most awkward communicator in gun-selling history!

EDIT: It was Pat Burns...thank you Duck Duck Go!

Website does not seem to be alive these days, but it was always a trip to see what she had.

PAT BURNS
    PERSONAL COLLECTION
    FORMER INVENTORY OF A WHOLESALE COMPANY
    P.O. BOX 866 AQUEBOGUE, NY 11931
    E-MAIL: finnishm39@yahoo.com
    M-39 FINNISH RIFLES
    CALIBER 7.62X54R

Last edited:

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Even at today's pricing, it's tough to beat for the firepower you're getting. Its impossible to beat at 10 years ago pricing. Mine is at no risk of going anywhere.

If I had more time to shoot, for sure. I sold mine this year simply because my range time is basically nothing right now, I hadn't shot it for at least 2 years, and the money was worth more to me than the rifle. Plus, I tend to want some kind of optic for a rifle. I just didn't see the practical purpose for it, even in a doomsday scenario.

Call me a butcher, but I took the rear sight off of mine and mounted a pistol scope on it. I didn't see it tripling in value in 3 years, but I still don't feel bad about it. I do feel bad about not getting around to buying a second one.

Oh well.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Even at today's pricing, it's tough to beat for the firepower you're getting. Its impossible to beat at 10 years ago pricing. Mine is at no risk of going anywhere.

Call me a butcher, but I took the rear sight off of mine and mounted a pistol scope on it. I didn't see it tripling in value in 3 years, but I still don't feel bad about it. I do feel bad about not getting around to buying a second one.

Oh well.
    I actually used to have two. One was given to me and was already mismatched in parts. I did the same thing. I cut the front of the barrel off, and had it re crowned. I removed the rear sights and tapped a scope rail. Put it in an archangel stock and made a cool sporterized Mosin sniper rifle. The stock was the best part of the rifle system. The detachable 10 round magazine was a game changer.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I actually used to have two. One was given to me and was already mismatched in parts. I did the same thing. I cut the front of the barrel off, and had it re crowned. I removed the rear sights and tapped a scope rail. Put it in an archangel stock and made a cool sporterized Mosin sniper rifle. The stock was the best part of the rifle system. The detachable 10 round magazine was a game changer.

The detachable mags thing was just starting to come online back when I was tinkering with mine. There was a guy working on it but it looked like it was never going to happen. Sounds like things changed.

I had wanted to, but I never cut mine down and crowned it, which I'm sort of happy about in retrospect. Didn't tap the rear rail either. Just clamped scope rings to it. I'm sure it's not robust, but short of the damage to the finish from the torch to melt the silver solder out of the rear sight, mine could be put back to original if someone really wanted. I stopped before "Full Bubba" set in. ;)

I do wonder what a sporter sells for these days. Maybe there isn't a value penalty at all?

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I had several in my collection, but sold them all off except an unissued Polish M44 and two Finnish M39's.
    I love the M39's.
    One 1968 dated one, and a "B" barrel one in unissued condition.

Top Bottom