• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Just wondering if anyone still has a love for and shoots the ole tried an true Mosin Nagant? Granted the prices have went stupid over recent years with the surplus ammo and the rifles no longer being imported. However I still find myself cracking a bit of a smile whenever i see mine in the safe and decide to take it out. After buying my PSL last year I've slowly started to get the eye for them again (bad timing for sure) but the old mil-surp stuff sure does bring a smile to the face...

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I wish I had been in possession of the money for a M38 or a M44 when they were flowing freely but I think (based both on previous Krag experience and the Krag being easier on the eyes) that I will enjoy the 1899 Krag carbine that's on its way more that a mosin.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Sold mine a few years ago
    On a side note, Chipmunk .22 rifles have one out that looks like a mini Mosin. I saw one at Blythes in Valpo a week ago. pretty cool looking little .22

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Lots of love for mine! Have owned a few variants from Russia, Finland, Poland, Romania, Hungary, and China. Still have a few from Russia, Finland, and China and quite a few crates of ammo. A run-of-the-mill Izhevsk 91/30 was the second gun I ever bought, "handpicked" from a gun shop trashcan in 2003 for $99 :laugh: Still have that one, but man do I wish I knew then what I know now when digging through piles of these things - back then as a broke college student my only criteria was trying to avoid cleaning cosmo; I had zero idea what markings, characteristics, and other things made a gun unique or collectible. I remember shooting an M38 at night for the first time - between the concussion and the muzzle flash you might as well have been standing next to a Space Shuttle launch. They are fun, reliable, and resilient shooters, and are truly the quintessential milsurp gun IMHO.

Two of my favorites - a Finn M39 and an authentic, numbers matching PU sniper (pretty easy to tickle steel at 300 yards with surplus Russian silvertip):

a9n6KJyh.jpg

J9R7Lcah.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I had one. After every shot I had to take a rubber mallet to open the bolt. Tried every remedy I could find to no avail. It would have been fun if I could have fixed that little issue.

That is the same rifle that shot my dad through the neck in WWII. Kinda weird, but my brother and I thought it was neat to own a version of the gun that dad saw the business end of and survived to talk about it. :)

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Who doesn't like to belch fire from their M44 ?!?! ... I love mine. ;)
    Now that you ask, I'll raise my hand. Grew tired of all the aspirin required after shooting them, sold um all ammo included to a relative who still thinks he got such a great deal; what he fails to realize to this day is I got the better deal with what I was able to buy and enjoy shooting with that $.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    If I had more time to shoot, for sure. I sold mine this year simply because my range time is basically nothing right now, I hadn't shot it for at least 2 years, and the money was worth more to me than the rifle. Plus, I tend to want some kind of optic for a rifle. I just didn't see the practical purpose for it, even in a doomsday scenario.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Man you (last three posts) dudes are killjoys ! :ugh:
    I thought that this was a thread about people who are enjoying their Mosins !

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Man you (last three posts) dudes are killjoys ! :ugh:
    I thought that this was a thread about people who are enjoying their Mosins !
    Darn! I was one of the three! It would have been a joy to have fun with if it hadn't been for the issue with the bolt. Loved having that bayonet extended.

Carry on without me! Enjoy them!

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Got rid of all my non-Finns a couple of years ago, then dumped all the surplus ammo I had. Still shoot some of the Finns on occasion, but only with my light to moderate handloads. As I've gotten older I've found getting walloped every time I pulled the trigger to be less than enjoyable.

Top Bottom