Anybody using an Ultrasonic cleaner to clean suppressors?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Looking at buying an ultrasonic cleaner big enough to hold a suppressor for cleaning. Just seeing if anybody else does this and any tips in the matter. I'll be cleaning a serviceable 22LR can, a 556 non serviceable can, and a 30cal non serviceable can.

Most articles saying using simple green and hot water is a pretty good solution to get most gunk out

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I dont have any, but I do know one thing from looking at them online.

If its sold by Lyman, or any other shooting company specifically aimed at reloaders or shooters, move along. They appear to rebrand and upcharge standard ultrasonic cleaners.

A buddy of mine showed me two back in the day. Looking at the pics, both were obviously the exact same model, except for the badge. Same size, shape, buttons, baskets, etc. The only difference was a brand sticker that apparently costs upwards of $50 to print and apply, because that was the price difference. :):

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I originally bought an iSonic P4820-SPB25 for about $100. they call it a "commercial" model. Not even close. I have seen the same model branded by different sellers.

I would not buy it again. My main complaint is it has a 25 minute timer and I have to reset it over and over since it takes several hours to get the baffles on my .22LR can clean. It has a single transducer in the center and you need to keep the baffles centered over it to do much.

I have since bought a much more expensive model with 2 transducers. Unfortunately I haven't clean a suppressor in it yet and most people would not want to pay the price.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I put another 90 rounds thru my suppressor to dirty it up more and dropped the baffles in the untried ultrasonic. Will report later tonight.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    The new ultrasonic cleaner is doing much better than my first one. 45 minutes and the baffles were clean using heat and Hornady sonic cleaner solution. I have also used simple green in the past and it works about as well.

From conversations with others, I believe the a rotary tumbler with SS pins probably works better for considerable less money and many shooters will already have one.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    I dont have any, but I do know one thing from looking at them online.

If its sold by Lyman, or any other shooting company specifically aimed at reloaders or shooters, move along. They appear to rebrand and upcharge standard ultrasonic cleaners.

A buddy of mine showed me two back in the day. Looking at the pics, both were obviously the exact same model, except for the badge. Same size, shape, buttons, baskets, etc. The only difference was a brand sticker that apparently costs upwards of $50 to print and apply, because that was the price difference. :):

Yeah that seems to be the theme when it comes to these. The reloading specific cleaners are so expensive! Amazon has "commercial" grade 3L ones for 80 bucks. I know they are likely not really commercial quality but they are bigger and cheaper then the branded ones

Oh thanks! Apparently I cant use the search button very good lol. I'll check it out!

I put another 90 rounds thru my suppressor to dirty it up more and dropped the baffles in the untried ultrasonic. Will report later tonight.
    The new ultrasonic cleaner is doing much better than my first one. 45 minutes and the baffles were clean using heat and Hornady sonic cleaner solution. I have also used simple green in the past and it works about as well.

From conversations with others, I believe the a rotary tumbler with SS pins probably works better for considerable less money and many shooters will already have one.

Hmm thats interesting. I do already have a Frankford Arsenal SS pin tumbler. I may give that a shot for my 22can. Its serviceable and has aluminum baffles I believe. Its a Huntertown Guardian and I can't get any legit info on the baffles since they closed. Website just says stainless steel and aluminum.

My 556 and 30cal cans are not user serviceable and I can't get the baffles out so I think thats where the ultrasonic will help

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I have tumbled the crap out of aluminum baffles from Gemtech and AAC cans with stainless steel pins and never had any issues.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    You certainly wouldn't want to get SS pins stuck in a non-serviceable suppressor.

Bigger is not necessarily better. If it only has one transducer there will be a lot of space where not much is happening in a bigger unit.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    I have tumbled the crap out of aluminum baffles from Gemtech and AAC cans with stainless steel pins and never had any issues.

Do you just throw the baffles in with a load of brass at the same time? Or just the baffles themselves?
    I feel like having a full load would work better for the tumble action.

You certainly wouldn't want to get SS pins stuck in a non-serviceable suppressor.

Bigger is not necessarily better. If it only has one transducer there will be a lot of space where not much is happening in a bigger unit.

Yeah I think I'm going to end up getting one just for the non service cans and cleaning dies and what not.
    I was looking at getting this one. Specs say it has 2 60w transducers so hopefully thats enough! I just want the bigger basket size for my 30cal can because it's 7"

Amazon product ASIN B0824KC65C

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I have the hornady sonic cleaner and I use their solution. It definitely looses up the gunk in my suppressors but I still have the manually clean them with a brass brush. I had hoped it would do all that for me.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I have the hornady sonic cleaner and I use their solution. It definitely looses up the gunk in my suppressors but I still have the manually clean them with a brass brush. I had hoped it would do all that for me.
    I would expect the vibrations to remove it. I wonder if ultrasonic is actually doing anything, or if its all the solution working? If you are curious, try just soaking it without turning on the machine. See if its any harder to manually clean. Could be wasting time with the machine.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    I cleaned my Guardian 22 using ultrasonic yesterday. I believe this can has aluminum baffles and stainless steel tube.

I set the ultrasonic at 160*F and ran it for 30min. Solution was about 10:1 water to purple power. After the cleaning I pulled the baffles out and they wiped off clean with paper towels. No pitting or damage to be seen.

The tube and end caps I cleaned with Hoppes. Soaked a paper towel and wiped everything down. Let it sit for about 5min. The tube wiped out no problems. The end caps needed scrub with a brush for about 30 seconds.

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    I cleaned my Guardian 22 using ultrasonic yesterday. I believe this can has aluminum baffles and stainless steel tube.

I set the ultrasonic at 160*F and ran it for 30min. Solution was about 10:1 water to purple power. After the cleaning I pulled the baffles out and they wiped off clean with paper towels. No pitting or damage to be seen.

The tube and end caps I cleaned with Hoppes. Soaked a paper towel and wiped everything down. Let it sit for about 5min. The tube wiped out no problems. The end caps needed scrub with a brush for about 30 seconds.
    I also have a guardian 22 and I was fortunate enough to upgrade the aluminum baffles to stainless steel right before they went out of business.

originally the baffles were aluminum except for the blast chamber baffle and the direct thread adapter which were Stainless steel, the tube and end cap and rest of baffles were aluminum.

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    how long does everybody leave their baffles/components in the sonic cleaner. is there a max amount of time limit. or what's a good general amount of time to be used.

im guessing its not going to be perfect coming out of the cleaner and some elbow grease is going to be needed?

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    how long does everybody leave their baffles/components in the sonic cleaner. is there a max amount of time limit. or what's a good general amount of time to be used.

im guessing its not going to be perfect coming out of the cleaner and some elbow grease is going to be needed?

I've used 30min so far without any issues and with good results.

Top Bottom