Anybody have any experience with the laser and fake bullet practice stuff I see advertised?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country

I use that system and it works pretty well.

The downside to most of them is that in striker fired guns you have to wrack the slide each time to reset the firing pin to strike the laser.

I use a s&w 5906 da/sa pistol for mine so i just pull the trigger and away I go, but in a glock/m&p/or any other poly wonder, youre stuck pulling the slide back each time.

Now they have systems with laser guns so you dont need to mess with your gun, but they are stupid expensive. Like 400$ and up.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    We have Strikeman cartridges in 9mm, .40, and .45. Used the app and target when we got the first one but don't any more. It will quickly show you how much you're moving the gun through the trigger press. I now use them to practice instinct shooting. Not aiming, just pointing. Yes, you do have to operate the slide far enough to reset the trigger (not a full stroke) but it's not that big a deal.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    I have an old GSight laser cartridge.

I also use the BarrelBlok cartridge simulant so I can use a full stroke when cycling the slide.

I believe the laser cartridges are a huge benefit, but they do have risks and pitfalls. The lack of recoil can easily lead to a poor grip and obviously there is no recoil.

At today's ammo prices however they are an excellent tool to enhance dry fire practice while receiving visual feedback.

Last edited:

medcoxo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    Indy, Westside
    Because I have to rack the slide after each shot, I only use for drawing and firing. Excellent when trying out different concealment styles. I always say 'The one that gets the first shot on target usually wins.' Any laser round works, I use 'itarget' app.

NewHoosier51

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2022
    indianapolis
    I use 'surestrike' I bought it from Midway. There's a few apps that can track your hits and score your shooting at home. It takes a minute or two to setup a tripod or something for your phone and get the target calibrated, but it helps alot to get dry fire practice in with actual results.

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    I have a SIRT gun. Pretty nice.

Here's the deal with all of this gun stuff we buy though...if you don't use it, then it won't work.

There is something about "engraining bad habits" but that can be mitigated against to some degree.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central

I use that system and it works pretty well.

The downside to most of them is that in striker fired guns you have to wrack the slide each time to reset the firing pin to strike the laser.

I use a s&w 5906 da/sa pistol for mine so i just pull the trigger and away I go, but in a glock/m&p/or any other poly wonder, youre stuck pulling the slide back each time.

Now they have systems with laser guns so you dont need to mess with your gun, but they are stupid expensive. Like 400$ and up.
    I use that one as well. Even with a DA/SA gun, you're still not getting a true representation of trigger reset or SA pull, though, without racking the slide. I typically use it for draw/fire training (I paid the $5 to get the shot timer feature), and occasionaly just basic marksmanship and trigger press drills.

They have their limitations, but can be useful for certain applications.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Yea I'm not trying to train sa pull. I want to train with the heavier da pull because that's the first one you encounter every time.

Anyone can cleanly pull a 3 lb trigger. And you can certainly do it if you can cleanly pull a 9lb one.

Top Bottom