Any tips/advise on how to remove OEM sights from an XD45 Mod.2?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CladdaghBands

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2021
    Lebanon Indiana
    As a very recent convert to the ranks of the Tactical Tupperware Brigade I purchased a Springfield XD45 Mod.2 "Tactical" (5" bbl). The factory FO sight arrangement leaves a lot to be desired when not in a brightly lit setting. I've had few problems removing and installing replacement sights on any of my other firearms but this one...!

I own and used three different brands of sight pushers: An original model Jennings, an XL and a Real Avid. Even with repeated applications of PB Blaster and hours of soak-in time I can't get the damned FO front to budge with ANY of them! I'd heard that XDs were a PITA in this regard, but this is unreal.

I'd really like to avoid having to destroy the OEM set to get them out if possible. Would VERY much appreciate any and all tips or advice on how i might be able to get this done.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Are they tapered? One way in, one way out? I can't remember. But it seems all X series from Springfield are notorious for not wanting to come out.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I had an XD Mod2 Tactical and could not find a gunsmith to even attempt to change the sights. One of them told me he had broken 2 sight pushers trying to get those things off. I sent mine to XD Man in Alabama and had the slide back to me in a little over a week.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Had this problem a few months ago on my XDs 45. Couldn't get the sights to budge with my pusher. Ended up taking it to a local gun shop and they got the job done for me same day. Was worth the $40, especially since I had no luck trying to remove them

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I use an arbor press or a modded ounch with tbe correct bevels milled to fit the done tail olus a 2lb ball peen. I also use Kroil v.s. any other lubricant.

CladdaghBands

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2021
    Lebanon Indiana
    Many thanks and appreciation for the replies. AllenM installed a LH trigger and D&Ted 2 holes for a Lyman 66A receiver sight and made a custom FO front for me on an old Norinco ATD .22 that I got many years ago super cheap. He does some great work. I don't have access to machine tools anymore since I retired. Need to restock some Kroil, as the PB Blaster works fine for everything else I've tried it on but on this - not so much. I hadn't heard about the XDMan in Alabama but I'll check out the link you kindly provided. If I can't get over to Avon to see AllenM I'll likely go that way. Even with a heavy 6" bench vise and padded jaws I've ruined two Delrin and two brass punches screwing with the danged thing already. Really want to get those TruGlo tritiums on there and sighted-in as soon as possible.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    AllenM can definitely get it done. If you want to try one more time you can put the slide in the freezer overnight and then give it a go.

Top Bottom