• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Hidden gem elk state is Arizona. No one thinks of it and most people would have no idea that it is loaded with elk. And the hunting is generally easier than in other places like CO or WY.

Can not comment on the tag situation however. Like most places I assume you need to be drawn.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Ah crap.....now I have to get that **** out of my search history
    Not even gonna look. I will bask in my ignorance of such a thing.

iu

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Hidden gem elk state is Arizona. No one thinks of it and most people would have no idea that it is loaded with elk. And the hunting is generally easier than in other places like CO or WY.

Can not comment on the tag situation however. Like most places I assume you need to be drawn.
    Arizona has one of the worst draw systems I've looked at in my opinion. It's been a long time since I looked so I don't remember if you even have a theoretical chance of drawing without maximum points but I do remember that it took more than 10 preference points to have any realistic chance of drawing in a decent area. That was 10 years ago. I also remember that you had to buy a hunting license (~$150, IRC) before you could even apply for a point. They have some huge bulls and apparently great hunting but you better start applying while you're still young and you better be lucky.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Arizona has one of the worst draw systems I've looked at in my opinion. It's been a long time since I looked so I don't remember if you even have a theoretical chance of drawing without maximum points but I do remember that it took more than 10 preference points to have any realistic chance of drawing in a decent area. That was 10 years ago. I also remember that you had to buy a hunting license (~$150, IRC) before you could even apply for a point. They have some huge bulls and apparently great hunting but you better start applying while you're still young and you better be lucky.
    Not sure on the point/draw system. I do know that they have tons of elk and have been talking about increased hunting permits for at least several years.

Even with the hunting they do the herd size has grown and they are getting complaints from ranchers about competition for food with their cattle.

And AZ does probably have more trophy bulls than anywhere else. Probably because it at least used to be so tough to hunt there.

For me, I'd like to hunt Wisconsin or Kentucky. Friend hunted KY two years ago and bagged a cow. That would be a cool experience.

Scenarfan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2018
    Hamilton County
    I’m not much a an elk hunting veteran with only 2 cows and 2 bulls to my credit, but I’ll throw another option at you for your first elk hunt. Find an outfitter that does a 2-3 day cow elk hunt where they have OTC cow tags. That will be much less expensive, and you can spend a couple days hunting elk, watching them, and learning how to hunt them. plus cow elk meat is fricking fantastic!
    Then build points for a bull hunt 3 years from now.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I’m not much a an elk hunting veteran with only 2 cows and 2 bulls to my credit, but I’ll throw another option at you for your first elk hunt. Find an outfitter that does a 2-3 day cow elk hunt where they have OTC cow tags. That will be much less expensive, and you can spend a couple days hunting elk, watching them, and learning how to hunt them. plus cow elk meat is fricking fantastic!
    Any suggestions?

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    There's a guy named Ralph Wachle (sp?) outside Ridgway Colorado that guides hunts on his own property. I've never hunted with him but I've seen his operation and would vouch he's a good dude. He used to also have a realty business up by Montrose that could assist an internet search if you're interested.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    This is exactly the type of hunt my son, I and a couple of his buddies are doing next fall. We are going to New Mexico for 3 day cow hunt with OTC tags and will be on private property. For first time elk guys I think it should be good. We'll see.

Top Bottom