Any once appreciate JJ Abraham’s productions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Have recently watched Super 8 because my wife really enjoys his movies, so I was wondering if any one had any suggestions for any of his other movies that might be worth a watch?

Sometimes a good Movie goes a long way.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I love his Star Trek reboot, I thought they were terrific. Super 8 and the Mission Impossibles are some of my favorites of his as well. While he did not hit a home run with Star Wars he still has a pretty good batting average.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    The first JJ Trek was at least watchable the second one was terrible and I didn't bother with the third one.

Especially when they could literally have gone anywhere storywise but they just remade Star Trek II with the worst possible everything.

I liked all three. I also liked that they split the Trek universe into the Kelvin timeline. It made sense that the movies had similar moments, but they weren't exactly like the original films. The addition of some action and such in the films breathed new life into the old "we created a fake problem that we will solve with fake science (throw a tacheon beam at it and call it an episode)" type stuff Trek had been doing for years. don't get me wrong, I'm a big Trek fan and like all that stuff. I just liked the change.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I think he is good with coming up with a good start to a story but he cannot for the life of him figure out how to end anything properly.

Dennis Villeneuve and Rian Johnson (minus his star wars movie) are significantly better Sci-Fi directors IMHO.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I think he is good with coming up with a good start to a story but he cannot for the life of him figure out how to end anything properly.

Dennis Villeneuve and Rian Johnson (minus his star wars movie) are significantly better Sci-Fi directors IMHO.
    I can definitely get behind that about Abrams

New Trek trio is OK if you aren't a die hard. There's a whole other thread about new ST.

last 3 SW yes, exactly, started out OK but the driver showed up with a cornucopia of pharmaceuticals before they did the bulk of the writing.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I can definitely get behind that about Abrams

New Trek trio is OK if you aren't a die hard. There's a whole other thread about new ST.

last 3 SW yes, exactly, started out OK but the driver showed up with a cornucopia of pharmaceuticals before they did the bulk of the writing.

The issue with the last 3 is Disney let each director write their own movie. It's totally fine having a different director for each movie but the overall story should have been written by a team and stuck with. That would have avoided 90% of the issues the new SW films had.

JJ sets up an interesting story , provides little to no background on anything other than relying on basically a carbon copy of ANH , then Johnson comes in and subverts expectations because that's what he does (see Looper), then you had JJ do the third movie and with the hot mess 7&8 were 9 was doomed from the get go.

Top Bottom