• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    More progress was made on the JK today. I put the Rugged Ridge Spartan rear bumper on it and I think it turned out great. Installation was easy. I also extended the fog light wires and got the fog lights up and running. Then she got a bath.

PXL_20210529_150452469.jpg
    PXL_20210529_223308301.jpg
    PXL_20210530_003952953.jpg PXL_20210530_004014122.jpg
    So she's looking good and just about ready for the next big off-road trip.

Then I gave the JL some love today, too. I ordered a set of General Grabber X3's a month ago. General and Discount Tire both told me it could be 4 months or maybe longer to get them. (they are C load range 35x12.5x17's, which are scarce and under high demand). They found a set in an Arizona distribution center and they arrived yesterday! So Mike at Discount Tire in Avon took great care of me and squeezed it into their busy schedule today. They are easily the nicest riding mud tires I've owned. I love the red letters, too!

PXL_20210529_210723255.jpg

Btw, I have a stock rear plastic JK bumper for anyone who wants it. It is in good shape with no dents/dimples. The only issue is that I used some kind of trim restoring spray and it made for a finish I don't really like. I'm sure it will eventually wear off, but the bumper is free. Otherwise I'll toss it.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I painted some old red shackles that had turned pink in the sun and restored them to their proper color, thanks to Rustoleum. Now the rear bumper is complete. Now I'm tossing arund the idea of a Magnaflow axle-back to help that old 3.8 make some music. Then again, I might not. I have one on my JL and it sounds sweet as can be and the tips take a beating, surviving 2 trips to Moab. So we'll see. But for now, the JL is coming together. I also installed an adjustable front track bar and centered the front axle. But I ran out of daylight so the steering wheel will have to be re-centered tomorrow.

PXL_20210530_212710602.jpg PXL_20210531_235450080.jpg

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Need to get some pics, I think. Maybe posting this will force me to go snap a few.

Completed a few tasks in preparation for our trip to Silver Lake, MI for Jeep Invasion this coming weekend.

#1 - Installed factory "Trail Rails" in the bed. Easy as pie, being a factory part. Found them on Amazon for cheaper than the dealership.

#2 - Now I have somewhere to hang my Hi-Lift jack, using the Gladiator Trail Rails mount. Again, easy as pie.

IMG_1711.jpg

#3 - Onboard Air, using a Viair kit, but a different (smaller) tank. NOT easy as pie. Rather than purchase an aftermarket mount, I built my own from 1/4" steel. Mounts the compressor and tank under the cab, nestled between the driveshaft and exhaust. For as large as these Jeeps are, there is NO room underneath. For the light-duty wheeling we intend to do, the compressor should be fine underneath. The air intake was extended up into the bedside (between the inner and outer bedsides). I mounted the air coupler in the bed, thru an existing 3/4" hole. near the tailgate Switched power is via the factory switch panel available in the Rubicon models (switch 3, as I am reserving 1 and 2 for future winch control).
    070A287D-6F29-4DD7-87E8-5B46366AE48C.jpeg
    0BA067F6-992A-459D-B514-F40647183A62.jpeg
    Updated with pics.

Still looking for a good in-bed weather/dust resistant storage container. Have a couple of 10 gallon totes for now. One for tools/recovery gear and the other for "stuff". Kinda works?

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Need to get some pics, I think. Maybe posting this will force me to go snap a few.

Completed a few tasks in preparation for our trip to Silver Lake, MI for Jeep Invasion this coming weekend.

#1 - Installed factory "Trail Rails" in the bed. Easy as pie, being a factory part. Found them on Amazon for cheaper than the dealership.

#2 - Now I have somewhere to hang my Hi-Lift jack, using the Gladiator Trail Rails mount. Again, easy as pie.

View attachment 142377

#3 - Onboard Air, using a Viair kit, but a different (smaller) tank. NOT easy as pie. Rather than purchase an aftermarket mount, I built my own from 1/4" steel. Mounts the compressor and tank under the cab, nestled between the driveshaft and exhaust. For as large as these Jeeps are, there is NO room underneath. For the light-duty wheeling we intend to do, the compressor should be fine underneath. The air intake was extended up into the bedside (between the inner and outer bedsides). I mounted the air coupler in the bed, thru an existing 3/4" hole. near the tailgate Switched power is via the factory switch panel available in the Rubicon models (switch 3, as I am reserving 1 and 2 for future winch control).
    View attachment 142415
    View attachment 142416
    Updated with pics.

Still looking for a good in-bed weather/dust resistant storage container. Have a couple of 10 gallon totes for now. One for tools/recovery gear and the other for "stuff". Kinda works?
    Great mods! My brother did the same Hi-Lift mount with his Gladiator. I'm going to show him the air compressor setup.

His Gladiator, btw, was amazing in Moab. It was the undisputed hill climbing champ! Those things are amazing.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    Been driving a Jeep out West since 2012. Learned some basics in a mostly stock 2010. Bought a 14 half door 6sp soft top new. A lot of great adventures in CA, AZ, UT and CO. So much more to see, but thinking about another plan.

In a couple months we'll be traveling in a van, and thought about pulling a trailer with a UTV on occasion. I don't want to flat tow or drive the Jeep separately. May sell the 14 Jeep in this better used market. I don't have social media, any recommendations for a place to sell?

IMG_20210429_092457_559.jpg IMG_20190726_161946.jpg IMG_20170331_211918_328.jpg IMG_20171225_205810_214.jpg

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Ok Jeepers, by the end of the year or early next year I plan on getting a Wrangler. Based off my budget and what I think I'll be able to save for, I'm looking at late 90's or early 2000's model. Main use will be summer/nice weather cruising, getting me to and from work when it snows (70 mile round trip), and occasional off roading. I think I want the I6, 4.0 in a manual.

I've heard great things about the I6, 4.0 but how much power is lost with the 4 cylinder? Pricing seems to be a tad lower on the 4 cylinders but is the 4.0 worth the extra $?

Soft top vs. hard top, for winter driving is a hard top a must have due to in cab temperature?

From what I've read/heard/seen, frame rust is common with these model years, anything else to be on the lookout for?

Would like a little lift and larger tires, but is a stock Wrangler capable of offroading? What size tires can a stock Wrangler accommodate before they rub?

TIA... I'm sure as I get closer and continue shopping I'll have more questions. Looking forward to spending some more time in this thread.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    145   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Ok Jeepers, by the end of the year or early next year I plan on getting a Wrangler. Based off my budget and what I think I'll be able to save for, I'm looking at late 90's or early 2000's model. Main use will be summer/nice weather cruising, getting me to and from work when it snows (70 mile round trip), and occasional off roading. I think I want the I6, 4.0 in a manual.

I've heard great things about the I6, 4.0 but how much power is lost with the 4 cylinder? Pricing seems to be a tad lower on the 4 cylinders but is the 4.0 worth the extra $?

Soft top vs. hard top, for winter driving is a hard top a must have due to in cab temperature?

From what I've read/heard/seen, frame rust is common with these model years, anything else to be on the lookout for?

Would like a little lift and larger tires, but is a stock Wrangler capable of offroading? What size tires can a stock Wrangler accommodate before they rub?

TIA... I'm sure as I get closer and continue shopping I'll have more questions. Looking forward to spending some more time in this thread.

I have a 97 that I have been daily driving for a little over two years. It’s a 4.0 that I installed an AW4 (overdrive) in. It cruises fine at 70-75 mph on the highway. From what I’ve seen on the Facebook groups, I’d stay away from the 4 cyl if you can. Every post about them is looking for more power and talking about regearing.
    I have done a decent amount of mods to mine, but unfortunately have not made it off road with it yet. It has about 3 1/2” of lift and I’ve got later model 33” tires on it. I only have a soft top and half doors with slider uppers. It’s not bad in the winter, your cab is about the size of a phone booth, so it warms up pretty quick! Plus the 4.0’s run at 210-220 degrees so the heat works well. I have heard of some people leaving a Bimini top installed under their soft top and it helps to keep warmth in and road noise out a little better. Stock keeps are pretty respectable off road and with better tires and a little clearance, they seem to go amazing places! Like I said, I’ve not had mine off road and I recently bought an 01 XJ that has turned into my daily so I’m thinking of letting go of my low mileage, rust free TJ. And yes, rust is a big problem here in IN. Body go, frames get holes in them. Frames can be repaired but it ain’t cheap if you can’t do it yourself. There are lots of replacement parts available, spring and control arms mounts, frame patch kits, etc of you are good with a welder. But starting out rust free or minimal rust is a big plus.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Probably the best TJ expert I know is For Fox Sake off-road and Metalworks. 2512 W State Rd. 144 in Franklin. Sean Fox is the owner. He can tell you what to look for in terms of rust on the frame and give you an idea of what to expect. If I were in the market for a TJ and thought I found a good one, I'd pay him to look it over.

He may even have a TJ or two for sale or know of good ones that fit your needs.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    My latest JK mod was a small but important one. I replaced the turn signal stalk. It would not hold in position. Now it is better than new. I think the new one was about 70 bucks on Amazon or Ebay.

PXL_20210610_220356444.jpg

Next up is the Magnaflow axle-back exhaust. The old girl is almost there! I still also have new aux lights, license plate housing, and front steering component skid plate to install and then I think that's a wrap on the makeover.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    My latest JK mod was a small but important one. I replaced the turn signal stalk. It would not hold in position. Now it is better than new. I think the new one was about 70 bucks on Amazon or Ebay.

View attachment 143361

Next up is the Magnaflow axle-back exhaust. The old girl is almost there! I still also have new aux lights, license plate housing, and front steering component skid plate to install and then I think that's a wrap on the makeover.
    JEEP!!!! Just Empty Every Pocket!!!! way to go Principal Skinr!!!!

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster

TRAIL RATED ! ! ! ! all Wranglers are this!!!! Even the honkin huge Gladiator is Trail Rated. and yes stick to the 4.0 Inline. All kinds of power and low torque. Just don't expect to drive by many gas stations!!! Jeeps are like Huey helicopters.....they don't fly.....they BEAT the Air into SUBMISSION!!!! Jeeps don't cut the wind.....They HAMMER IT!!!! You don't hit bugs with a Jeep, you ANNIHILATE them!!! BIG SHOTGUN BLASTS all over the windshield!!!! Be prepared when your stopping for gas, you'll be scraping the windshield.....luckily the windshield isn't that big.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster

If you decide to go newer, stay away from 2007 to 2012 JK's with the 3.8L. Absolute junk motor; start drinking oil around the 100k range. You might not see it even in the exhaust. If a 2012 has the 3.6L your ok. I'm not sure when they switched over, but I do know it was in 2012 at some point. By the way, that 2014 Rubicon listed earlier in this forum looks nice!!!!!:oldwise:

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    Been driving a Jeep out West since 2012. Learned some basics in a mostly stock 2010. Bought a 14 half door 6sp soft top new. A lot of great adventures in CA, AZ, UT and CO. So much more to see, but thinking about another plan.

In a couple months we'll be traveling in a van, and thought about pulling a trailer with a UTV on occasion. I don't want to flat tow or drive the Jeep separately. May sell the 14 Jeep in this better used market. I don't have social media, any recommendations for a place to sell?

View attachment 143119 View attachment 143120 View attachment 143122 View attachment 143121
    NICE JEEP!!!! put this in the Non-Firearm Related classies.....I think it will be gone!!!

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    The Magnaflow is on, and it sounds great! Glad to get rid of that old rusty OEM exhaust, although it still did its job and could have lasted much longer. But it was just boring. The Magnaflow is high quality, well made, and tuned to the milder end of the spectrum for a custom exhaust. It has a nice sound and rumble at idle and when accelerating, but when cruising, such as on the highway or a mid speed road, it is nice and quiet.

Before....
    PXL_20210611_133138248.jpg

And after....

PXL_20210611_160514149.jpg
    PXL_20210611_160529697.jpg

Top Bottom