• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    Has anyone tried the LED headlights on Amazon as a replacement on a JK? I’m considering changing out my stock headlights as my JK has become my daily driver due to a job change. This includes quite a bit of travel for work.
    Bought some called Sunpie, probably cheap china knockoffs, but they've been fine for 4.5 years now. Hard wired into turn signal and LED white running light on top 180 will flash amber with signals. IMG_20190728_145132.jpg

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Has anyone tried the LED headlights on Amazon as a replacement on a JK? I’m considering changing out my stock headlights as my JK has become my daily driver due to a job change. This includes quite a bit of travel for work.
    I've had Trucklites (now owned by Rigid Industries) for years on my JK. They are outstanding. But I'd recommend that you get headlights with a heating element in them, no matter what brand you buy. I've had the LED's on my JK and my JL freeze over. It doesn't happen often, but when it does it is miserable. I drove through a blizzard in Colorado in 2015 and the headlights completely froze over. I still had incandescent fog lights and off-road lights that got us through it.

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    I've had Trucklites (now owned by Rigid Industries) for years on my JK. They are outstanding. But I'd recommend that you get headlights with a heating element in them, no matter what brand you buy. I've had the LED's on my JK and my JL freeze over. It doesn't happen often, but when it does it is miserable. I drove through a blizzard in Colorado in 2015 and the headlights completely froze over. I still had incandescent fog lights and off-road lights that got us through it.
    +1 on the headlamp heaters. It's not one of those things you think about converting from incandescents but LEDs produce negligible heat versus incandescents so don't clear themselves of snow and ice without heating elements. Found that out with my semi, ask me how! LoL

Jndturner317

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2021
    Noblesville
    Stopped in a local shop today to get a quote on a lift. They wanted over $4k for a Rubicon Express 2.5” install with a bunch of extras. Everything from drag links to axel seals at the same time. They wanted to do an inspection first to see what all needs to be done and this was the most I could expect.
    I’ll probably go the route of the AEV 2.5” Dual lift and do it myself.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Stopped in a local shop today to get a quote on a lift. They wanted over $4k for a Rubicon Express 2.5” install with a bunch of extras. Everything from drag links to axel seals at the same time. They wanted to do an inspection first to see what all needs to be done and this was the most I could expect.
    The AEV wasn't difficult to install. Of course I had access to a lift, but not hard. I did add I think a 1/2" spacer to compensate for the winch up front. I love the stance on it now. Pretty close to level. That AEV can haul a load, too, without any sagging in the rear. It'd probably have been fine up front without the spacer. But it turned out perfectly.

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    Yeah, there's plenty of us here and in any Jeep club who have done enough lift kit installs there's no reason to spend that kind of $$$ at a shop. The kit will be about 1/4 to 1/2 that price depending on how complicated you want to go but by all means get to know your fellow Jeep community and you'll save a lot and learn a lot along the way.

My first lift I over-analyzed and agonized and debated but in the end I did it myself in the garage with basically hand tools on a 2008 Wrangler Unlimited so it can't be that hard if you do some homework, ask some questions, and have a little self-confidence. Just know that once you're done though you've only begun, because from then on you'll never be satisfied and you'll forevermore be chasing down gremlins.

Jndturner317

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2021
    Noblesville
    Yeah, there's plenty of us here and in any Jeep club who have done enough lift kit installs there's no reason to spend that kind of $$$ at a shop. The kit will be about 1/4 to 1/2 that price depending on how complicated you want to go but by all means get to know your fellow Jeep community and you'll save a lot and learn a lot along the way.

My first lift I over-analyzed and agonized and debated but in the end I did it myself in the garage with basically hand tools on a 2008 Wrangler Unlimited so it can't be that hard if you do some homework, ask some questions, and have a little self-confidence. Just know that once you're done though you've only begun, because from then on you'll never be satisfied and you'll forevermore be chasing down gremlins.
    The main reason I was looking at having it done was time more than anything. I’m fairly certain I can do it based on the YouTube clips I’ve watched. Even buying a floor jack and stands I’ll be a lot of money ahead to do it myself

miles2253

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    North Webster
    The main reason I was looking at having it done was time more than anything. I’m fairly certain I can do it based on the YouTube clips I’ve watched. Even buying a floor jack and stands I’ll be a lot of money ahead to do it myself
    I’ve installed numerous lifts. They are pretty easy to install with basic tools, a buddy, and a weekend. I installed the 2.5” AEV Dual Sport on my wife’s. It is a quality kit! I have a few recommendations. 1) Get an adjustable front track bar. 2) Inspect all mounting bracket holes prior to installation, especially the track bar brackets. Make sure they’re not enlarged. 3) torque all control arm and track bar bolts with vehicle sitting on the tires. 4) take your time. 5) get it aligned afterwards.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm not a "Jeeper" yet but I'm on the hunt for an XJ Cherokee so I will be eventually! I'm not going to read all 224 pages of this thread to get caught up though! :)

But I'll check out a few pages to see if this is all Wrangler owners or if there are any Cherokee owners here.

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    I'm not a "Jeeper" yet but I'm on the hunt for an XJ Cherokee so I will be eventually! I'm not going to read all 224 pages of this thread to get caught up though! :)

But I'll check out a few pages to see if this is all Wrangler owners or if there are any Cherokee owners here.
    The OP was an XJ owner

Jndturner317

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2021
    Noblesville
    I just added new wheels and tires to the JK. I went with Mickey Thompson wheels and KO2 tires. I stuck with 33” as this is my daily driver. I put about 1200 mile already this week with a work trip.

Attachments

• 4E2A869C-AA19-41FE-8733-52593F117753.jpeg
      4E2A869C-AA19-41FE-8733-52593F117753.jpeg
      537.3 KB · Views: 2
    • CCD4A2A0-1AD9-4C67-B4B4-9B549E494A38.jpeg
      CCD4A2A0-1AD9-4C67-B4B4-9B549E494A38.jpeg
      575.3 KB · Views: 2

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    Rusty is getting lifted this weekend! 3.5" Lift I think, 35" tires and wheels, new bumpers, tire carrier, and if there's time I have a new starter and a muffler! Also been putting it off but oil and diff fluids need changed. So lots to do.

Oh and Rusticon graphics but not sure if I'll tackle that myself or not.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    87   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I just added new wheels and tires to the JK. I went with Mickey Thompson wheels and KO2 tires. I stuck with 33” as this is my daily driver. I put about 1200 mile already this week with a work trip.
    I think the KO2 is a good choice for a daily driver. The CJ7 I'm building will be a daily, and I just got her a set of 35" KO2 tires...

11l.JPG

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I think the KO2 is a good choice for a daily driver. The CJ7 I'm building will be a daily, and I just got her a set of 35" KO2 tires...

View attachment 185629
    Nice! They are darned good off-road, too. I took the same set to Moab twice. Once when fairly new and once when fairly worn They handled the rock crawling, sand, and slickrock exceptionally well. They've also been in midwest mud, dirt trails, snow, etc. They performed well in anything I put them through, and did it quietly.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    87   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Nice! They are darned good off-road, too. I took the same set to Moab twice. Once when fairly new and once when fairly worn They handled the rock crawling, sand, and slickrock exceptionally well. They've also been in midwest mud, dirt trails, snow, etc. They performed well in anything I put them through, and did it quietly.
    I've had the old ATs before, on my suburban.

87 Suburban Cammo.JPG

Found they did very well in just about everything except mud, and way better on snowy roads. As light as a CJ is, I need something that's good in snow. Had Toyo MTs on my Super Duty. Great off road, but sucky on snowy roads. The new rubber compound is supposed to stay soft in winter, and I've got a lot of time in this build. I want to daily it as much as possible so I went with the KO2 rather than the KM3. I do have a Detroit Tru-Trac on each end, so that will help.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I've had the old ATs before, on my suburban.

View attachment 185854

Found they did very well in just about everything except mud, and way better on snowy roads. As light as a CJ is, I need something that's good in snow. Had Toyo MTs on my Super Duty. Great off road, but sucky on snowy roads. The new rubber compound is supposed to stay soft in winter, and I've got a lot of time in this build. I want to daily it as much as possible so I went with the KO2 rather than the KM3. I do have a Detroit Tru-Trac on each end, so that will help.
    You guys have some really nice rigs! Love this one especially!

Top Bottom