• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • themadmedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Anyone know much about trails in Arkansas? Looks like there are a lot of them. Might be a fun destination to explore?
    Not as familiar with AR, but SW MO has a lot of options. There is SMORR if looking for a park, and a lot of gravel county roads if looking for something nontechnical in more of an over landing type experience such as the Glade Top Trail

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Not as familiar with AR, but SW MO has a lot of options. There is SMORR if looking for a park, and a lot of gravel county roads if looking for something nontechnical in more of an over landing type experience such as the Glade Top Trail

Cool! We're looking for a mix that includes some technical stuff. If a park is a good one, like Windrock, we'd be inclined to do it. Hilly or mountainous country is a plus.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Well, after much discussion, we are back to going to Moab! I found a condo for a very good price that is just a mile or so south of town. Since it has a kitchen, we can avoid restaurants, and save a few bucks. So we'll be leaving the 26th and arriving either to Moab on the 27th or Montrose, CO, should we elect to do the Rimrocker Trail. We'll be leaving for home April 2. We will be doing trails on days the EJS is not on them, including some outside of Moab (north a ways) that were recommended by a friend who lives there. As for trails we might do, they include:

Hells Revenge (for sure), Finns n Things, Elephant Hill, and a couple others. We also might do White Rim Road and the Shaeffer Rd. Switchbacks.

Anybody else heading out that way for EJS?

99zhuggerz99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    McCordsville
    Has anyone opted for the 3.0 in either a JL or JT and use it for anything other than daily driving? Wheeling/towing/or else?
    we have seen issue after issue with the Eco in DS and DT trucks. Just not enough Jeeps to get a gauge yet. Just wondering if people have had issues or too new to know (sub 10k miles).

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Spent the day yesterday with our group preparing Jeeps for Moab! We installed two lifts on JK's, serviced 10 differentials, 2 transmissions, 5 transfer cases, did 2 oil changes, fixed a winch solonoid box, and had lots of laughs. The lifts turned out perfectly. One JK's NSG 370 manual transmission had not ever had fluid changed in 160k miles! YUCK! It got a nice transfusion of Pennzoil Synchromesh for the save! Interestingly, it has exhibited no issues in all that time and the driver didn't report any difference in feel. But the Jeep did appear to have a smile on its grille! It was a long day (Nearly 15 hours) and we're paying for it now. Thank God for Ibuprophen! We've got 3 JKU's, 1 JKR, 1 JLUR, and one JTR going on the trip.

I just have 2 small things left to do before mine is 100% mission ready. I need to slighty adjust the front track bar and install a new Odyssey main battery and Die-Hard Platinum aux battery. Then I'll park it and pack it.

Btw, the Valvoline Flexfill bags of gear lube are WONDERFUL! They cut down tremendously on the mess when changing diff fluid!

PXL_20210305_221253228.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20210306_152456313.jpg
      PXL_20210306_152456313.jpg
      2.3 MB · Views: 12
    • PXL_20210306_162111614.jpg
      PXL_20210306_162111614.jpg
      2.4 MB · Views: 10
    • PXL_20210306_162120742.jpg
      PXL_20210306_162120742.jpg
      2.7 MB · Views: 9
    • PXL_20210306_162151432.jpg
      PXL_20210306_162151432.jpg
      2.4 MB · Views: 8
    • PXL_20210306_213407088.jpg
      PXL_20210306_213407088.jpg
      2.4 MB · Views: 10
    • PXL_20210306_213616815.jpg
      PXL_20210306_213616815.jpg
      2.6 MB · Views: 10
    • PXL_20210307_050930760.jpg
      PXL_20210307_050930760.jpg
      2.5 MB · Views: 11
    • PXL_20210307_022503714.jpg
      PXL_20210307_022503714.jpg
      2.6 MB · Views: 9
    • PXL_20210307_051928633.jpg
      PXL_20210307_051928633.jpg
      2.4 MB · Views: 9

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    At 9700 miles my Wrangler is showing off the reliability that Jeeps are so well known for. My check engine light came on and it wouldn't accelerate. I restarted it and now it seems to be driving like normal, but the check engine light stays on. I have had a: Nissan, an Infinity, 2xAudis, 4xBMWs, Mercedes, 3xToyotas, and not since my first vehicle a Chevrolet have I had a problem.

Funny though, my Jeep is still my favorite.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Well, today we head home from Moab. What a trip it has been! We warmed up Sunday on Fins N Things, then on Monday we went for the scenery of Canyonlands National Park, via Pucker Pass and Shafer Road switchbacks (WOW!). White Rim had a few spots that were FAR more puckering than Pucker Pass. I have to say White Rim was the most beautiful drive I've ever experienced, and I've been on 5 continents and seen some incredible places in this world. God's artwork there is simply astounding.

So on Tuesday we did 7 Mile Rim, which was super fun and then Wednesday we hit Hell's Revenge, and yesterday Elephant Hill. Those two were my favorites before until White Rim, which may have displaced them, but it is very close.

So overall, we hit the jackpot on trail choice. We wanted to do a couple more like Poison Spider, but just ran out of time, partly because we're exhausted.

The Jeeps overall did very well with the big surprise being the 2 JKU's on 33's. They both had 2.5" lifts, with one being a Rough Country lift on Cooper all-terrains and the other being a more expensive AEV with a rear track bar bracket set-up and Bilstein shocks and Falken Wildpeak mud tires off my brother's Gladiator. These things did the trails that Red Rock 4wd club claim require lockers. Both had sway bar discos, which helped greatly, but both handled those trails incredibly well, including some climbs that I really thought we'd have to winch them up. There was another older 2008 JK on 35's and also with a 2.5" Rough Country lift and it performed beautifully, as well, with the old 3.8 never struggling to keep pace. It also had open diffs with sway bar discos, which I think are the most important traction aid short of lockers. We saw a Toyota Taco TRD Pro STRUGGLE through Elephant Hill on some stuff that the open diff JK's walked over with ease. Why? Because the Jeeps keep the tires on the ground while the Toyota's independent front just couldn't do that. It got through the obstacles, but it had a hairy time doing it. (This is why the Bronco won't outperform the Wrangler on the trail.)

The JL Rubicon, JK Rubicon, and Gladiator Rubicon, all on lifts and 35's, never struggled over anything. BUT...the 2 door JK Rubi did place a foot wrong on the entry descent for Hell's Gate, and he paid the price. (Or at least he will when he replaces the door and fender flares. He rolled it onto its side! Fortunately, the damage was less than expected. He also damaged the Freedom panel on his hard top. It'll be a good excuse for a Sunrider. Here are a few pics of that.
    zt2ZunB.jpg

My son was riding shotgun. Here he is climbing out of it...
    cQCEo72.jpg

YT4u8wP.jpg

I'll post more pics from the trip when I get more time. Some of them are really good shots.

We head home today starting with the Colorado River Scenic Byway, which is a great way to end a great week!

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    Ok folks, its time for another addition to the family. Really looking hard at the Gladiator Mojave edition. What kind of real world reviews are we looking at here?

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Ok folks, its time for another addition to the family. Really looking hard at the Gladiator Mojave edition. What kind of real world reviews are we looking at here?
    I drove one for a long weekend when they did a Uconnect update program on my JL. It was fantastic. I'd go for the Rubicon, though, for the sway bar disconnect and front locker, but the Mojave is great, too. If you plan to lift, though, I think the Rubicon has better value since the main feature of the Mojave is the shocks. (Plus rear locker.)

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    I drove one for a long weekend when they did a recall program on my JL. It was fantastic. I'd go for the Rubicon, though, for the sway bar disconnect and front locker, but the Mojave is great, too. If you plan to lift, though, I think the Rubicon has better value since the main feature of the Mojave is the shocks. (Plus rear locker.)
    I thought I read where someone here drove one for awhile. Thanks for the reply, that was a consideration I hadn't thought about.

Grogmister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    I drove one for a long weekend when they did a Uconnect update program on my JL. It was fantastic. I'd go for the Rubicon, though, for the sway bar disconnect and front locker, but the Mojave is great, too. If you plan to lift, though, I think the Rubicon has better value since the main feature of the Mojave is the shocks. (Plus rear locker.)
    Valid points but the Mojave is 1” taller stock than the Rubicon stock which is 1” taller than a Sport S stock Meaning the Mojave is 2” taller from the factory than mine was. All I would do is add 35s to a Mojave and love the ride. Talked to a kid at the dunes last year with a Mojave and he said it was so smooth. I know a LOT of the added cost to the Mojave is the tuned suspension. If I was going to trade and I could afford a Mojave there would be question that’s the route I would go. Check out www.jeepgladiatorforum.com for all kinds of info if you want first hand owner review.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Valid points but the Mojave is 1” taller stock than the Rubicon stock which is 1” taller than a Sport S stock Meaning the Mojave is 2” taller from the factory than mine was. All I would do is add 35s to a Mojave and love the ride. Talked to a kid at the dunes last year with a Mojave and he said it was so smooth. I know a LOT of the added cost to the Mojave is the tuned suspension. If I was going to trade and I could afford a Mojave there would be question that’s the route I would go. Check out www.jeepgladiatorforum.com for all kinds of info if you want first hand owner review.

There is no height difference. The one I drove was parked right next to a Rubi, which is the one my brother wound up buying. The stance and height were exactly the same, as were the tires. (33" Wildpeak MT's) Both can run 35's with no lift, but if you go off road and flex, you'll have some rubbing. In normal driving you won't. You'll have more rubbing with the Rubicon when the sway bar is disconnected.

I highly recommend the Mopar lift if you want to run 35's. And that would again steer me toward the Rubicon because you'd lose the reservior shocks on the Mojave.

The only way I'd go Mojave is if I were planning on doing high speed desert running. Anything wide open where you might go at speed here east of the Mississippi the Rubicon will do as well as the Mojave. You'd have to get out to the wide open spaces of the west to take advantage of it.

Keep in mind the pricing on the two is the same. I just think you get more capability with the Rubicon and it is a better fit for the type of off roading you'd be likely to encounter.

We just got back from Moab with my brother's Gladiator Rubicon. He's got the Mopar lift and 35's and it was an animal out there. All it did was convince me even more that the Rubi is the way to go. We did a few trails where we got a little speed and the Fox shocks on it handled it beautifully. My JL's Mopar lift and Fox shocks did well, too, with no overheating. In fact, both the JL and JT's Fox shocks stayed cool to the touch when some of the other guys' Pro Comp and Rough Country monotube shocks got hot to the touch.

Not dissing the Mojave, because it is amazing, too, if you are going to run in the element it is meant for. Don't get me wrong, it will be outstanding in any off-roading. But that sway bar disco and front locker give that extra 10-15% to the Rubi. The Mojave will certainly trounce the Toyota Taco TRD Pro, though. It can't keep 4 on the ground like the Gladiator, even without the sway bar disco. We saw one in Moab that struggled mightily over things the Gladiator did without breaking a sweat, time and again.

Either way, you'll be thrilled. The Gladiator is the King Kong of hill climbers, for sure, in either form!

One thing I REALLY loved about the Mojave I drove was the Sting Gray color with orange trim. It was pure badass, especially with the wheels it had.

Last edited:

Grogmister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    There is no height difference. The one I drove was parked right next to a Rubi, which is the one my brother wound up buying. The stance and height were exactly the same, as were the tires. (33" Wildpeak MT's) Both can run 35's with no lift, but if you go off road and flex, you'll have some rubbing. In normal driving you won't. You'll have more rubbing with the Rubicon when the sway bar is disconnected.

I highly recommend the Mopar lift if you want to run 35's. And that would again steer me toward the Rubicon because you'd lose the reservior shocks on the Mojave.

The only way I'd go Mojave is if I were planning on doing high speed desert running. Anything wide open where you might go at speed here east of the Mississippi the Rubicon will do as well as the Mojave. You'd have to get out to the wide open spaces of the west to take advantage of it.

Keep in mind the pricing on the two is the same. I just think you get more capability with the Rubicon and it is a better fit for the type of off roading you'd be likely to encounter.

We just got back from Moab with my brother's Gladiator Rubicon. He's got the Mopar lift and 35's and it was an animal out there. All it did was convince me even more that the Rubi is the way to go. We did a few trails where we got a little speed and the Fox shocks on it handled it beautifully. My JL's Mopar lift and Fox shocks did well, too, with no overheating. In fact, both the JL and JT's Fox shocks stayed cool to the touch when some of the other guys' Pro Comp and Rough Country monotube shocks got hot to the touch.

Not dissing the Mojave, because it is amazing, too, if you are going to run in the element it is meant for. Don't get me wrong, it will be outstanding in any off-roading. But that sway bar disco and front locker give that extra 10-15% to the Rubi. The Mojave will certainly trounce the Toyota Taco TRD Pro, though. It can't keep 4 on the ground like the Gladiator, even without the sway bar disco. We saw one in Moab that struggled mightily over things the Gladiator did without breaking a sweat, time and again.

Either way, you'll be thrilled. The Gladiator is the King Kong of hill climbers, for sure, in either form!

One thing I REALLY loved about the Mojave I drove was the Sting Gray color with orange trim. It was pure badass, especially with the wheels it had.
    I don’t disagree with you on your points except the 1” higher Mojave. both are great options and the Gladiator in general is bad ass. I don’t do a lot of rock crawling and really only hit the dunes a few times a year so either would work for me but I just dig the Mojave. I’m just on a Sport S budget. LOL

Attachments

• 343CB83E-2B44-404E-849F-315313DEA14C.png
      343CB83E-2B44-404E-849F-315313DEA14C.png
      1.7 MB · Views: 5
    Top Bottom