• ...and so much more!
  • TheEngineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Down South
    [video=youtube_share;2R5cLghSWGQ]https://youtu.be/2R5cLghSWGQ[/video]

So I've wheeled the San Juan Mountain Range area in Colorado, including Black Bear, and I'm member of a few Facebook groups for the area...this has been a big story the past few weeks.

Black Bear Pass is an amazing trail but at the end there is a pretty hair raising set of switchbacks that you take to zig-zag down the side of the mountain...there are many wrecks that happen and many deaths. Keep in mind my Jeep isn't a crazy crawler, 06 LJ with 3.5" lift and 33s, so it can easily be done...but its the kind of trail that if you aren't paying attention or make a mistake, it can cost you your life.

The basic story about this video (well the jeep rolling down the side in the video) is a man, woman, and two dogs were in a two door JK...man gets out to help spot another vehicle, parking brake fails (manual transmission) and the Jeep rolls...man runs back and grabs the Jeep trying to stop it and is taken with it. Jeeps rolls down the side of the mountain, woman and dogs are ejected...man and woman were taken to the hospital but last I heard are doing ok, the youngest puppy (few months old) was immediately found but the 10 month old black lab was missing for a few days...has since been found and everyone has been reunited.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Wonder if one of the dogs knocked it out of gear.
    And who in the hell trusts an E brake? On a friggin mountain, shoulda done all that ( minus the damn dogs) and chocked a couple wheels.

Just shows anybody can buy a jeep, not everybody should.
    On another ( non jeep ) forum the report was the gal was banged up pretty bad.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Corollary: Everyone should own a Jeep at least once.

Yeah, thought about an old CJ5 for a thrasher, kid said she wants to wheel. Buy a beater and let her wrench a bit. Physical limitations mean minimal wrenching or offroading, but itd still be fun.

Last CJ I had dont think she was even born. Older sister beat on the rollover I drug home....w a hammer " daddy I help ".

Fun stuff.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Wonder if one of the dogs knocked it out of gear.
    And who in the hell trusts an E brake? On a friggin mountain, shoulda done all that ( minus the damn dogs) and chocked a couple wheels.

Just shows anybody can buy a jeep, not everybody should.
    On another ( non jeep ) forum the report was the gal was banged up pretty bad.

JK parking brakes are notorious for having issues. They aren't too hard to adjust but they get corroded, especially when used off-road a lot, and that causes problems. Mine quit holding somewhere around 40k or 50k. I ultimately rebuilt it and it has worked well since, but I NEVER trust it. (Or any other for that matter.) When I stop, it gets shut off, put in gear, and usually at least one rock as a wheel chock, if on more than a mild hill. On boat ramps, I take a chock with me and set it behind the driver side front wheel.

My version of acrophobia would make Black Bear Pass a heart attack, so I'll probably never do it. But if I did, NO FRIGGIN WAY am I getting out of my Jeep.

I'm so glad all involved survived and are healing. I'm also glad it didn't collect the Jeep with the dash cam or anyone else. What a scary deal.

On another note, my brother, boys, friend, and I got home last night after a week on the Appalachian Byway. It was a BLAST! The off-roading wasn't challenging with the exception of a few spots, but the trails and scenery were gorgeous! We unfortunately only made it maybe 1/4 through the Virginia segment. It was getting better and better as we went, too. We'll be going back sometime to finish the Virginia route. We're also plotting and planning on when to get to VT/NH/ME. My brother had so much fun he's selling his Camaro ZL1-1LE to get either a 4 door Rubicon or a Gladiator Rubicon. The old JK impressed the heck out of him! Now the clean up commences...ugggh. My poor JK ate the JLs dust most of the trip, so its a huge mess. Never has the value of a cabin filter been more obvious! I'll post a few pics when I can.
    pNGYBoe.jpg

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Nice! My brother took a bone stock Liberty to the Badlands and we ran the heck out of it. It surprised everyone with what it could do!

Good to know. I was hoping to buy an XJ but nothing in my price range was worth the money.

Need to get front/rear tow points, and something besides street tires before venturing off the road...

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Good to know. I was hoping to buy an XJ but nothing in my price range was worth the money.

Need to get front/rear tow points, and something besides street tires before venturing off the road...

Lol, we were on street tires! But we did not get into mud. It did well on the sand, dirt, and rocks, though!

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    JK parking brakes are notorious for having issues. They aren't too hard to adjust but they get corroded, especially when used off-road a lot, and that causes problems. Mine quit holding somewhere around 40k or 50k. I ultimately rebuilt it and it has worked well since, but I NEVER trust it. (Or any other for that matter.) When I stop, it gets shut off, put in gear, and usually at least one rock as a wheel chock, if on more than a mild hill. On boat ramps, I take a chock with me and set it behind the driver side front wheel.

My version of acrophobia would make Black Bear Pass a heart attack, so I'll probably never do it. But if I did, NO FRIGGIN WAY am I getting out of my Jeep.

I'm so glad all involved survived and are healing. I'm also glad it didn't collect the Jeep with the dash cam or anyone else. What a scary deal.

On another note, my brother, boys, friend, and I got home last night after a week on the Appalachian Byway. It was a BLAST! The off-roading wasn't challenging with the exception of a few spots, but the trails and scenery were gorgeous! We unfortunately only made it maybe 1/4 through the Virginia segment. It was getting better and better as we went, too. We'll be going back sometime to finish the Virginia route. We're also plotting and planning on when to get to VT/NH/ME. My brother had so much fun he's selling his Camaro ZL1-1LE to get either a 4 door Rubicon or a Gladiator Rubicon. The old JK impressed the heck out of him! Now the clean up commences...ugggh. My poor JK ate the JLs dust most of the trip, so its a huge mess. Never has the value of a cabin filter been more obvious! I'll post a few pics when I can.
    pNGYBoe.jpg
    WOW!!!! can't wait for more pics!!!!! Like that mist of clouds BELOW the Jeeps!!!!

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    WOW!!!! can't wait for more pics!!!!! Like that mist of clouds BELOW the Jeeps!!!!

It was incredible. This pic was taken after some of it had burned off. I've been slacking, so I'll try and post a few more up this weekend. The whole trip had scenery that was just breathtaking. 5 straight days of it.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Went down to Madison yesterday with the Hendricks County Jeep Club. It was a nice, scenic drive with a stop at Hinkle's Hamburger shop and a short run up Beecamp Road. Gorgeous day for Jeeping around!

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Went down to Madison yesterday with the Hendricks County Jeep Club. It was a nice, scenic drive with a stop at Hinkle's Hamburger shop and a short run up Beecamp Road. Gorgeous day for Jeeping around!
    Heading down that way with Hoosier Wranglers next weekend. Lots of fun little roads in that area. I plan to snap pics and record the route on the GPS.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Went down to Madison, IN for a little event put on by Hoosier Wranglers and Fat Boy Jeepers. We did the road rally this time around. The rally didn't go by the waterfall on Indiana 7 north out of Madison, so we ran by for a picture afterwards.

They put together a bit of a video of the road rally here:
    [video=youtube_share;rnCrKDD4GOI]https://youtu.be/rnCrKDD4GOI[/video]

A few others ran over to the Dirty Turtle for some off-roading.

Top Bottom