• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I have always wanted a Jeep Wrangler and finally pulled the trigger on one back in April. I had so much fun driving naked all summer long. It’s just a fun ride and something just for tooling around.

Its a 97 TJ i6 just under 150k lifted with 33s.

When I bought it the owner told me there was a minor exhaust leak. Figure I’d rather take care of this now and I’m thinking I should just go ahead and have the exhaust manifold replaced.

So, my question to my fellow firearms and Jeep enthusiasts, do you know have any recommendations for a good shop that does work on Wranglers near Greenwood preferably?

I'd check out For Fox Sake Offroad. The owner is Sean Fox. He's in Franklin and is a great guy and really knows Jeeps. He's got a pretty badass TJ, himself. He'll treat you well and do the work right. 2512 W State Road 144, Franklin, 46131, 317-204-8776. Tell him Dan Wilson from Indy Jeep Junkies sent you.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County

Great looking ride, Hopper! I'll wait for the mud pic soon. :):

Very nice looking ride indeed!

Darned nice looking Jeep right there!!
    Thank you fellas. This was a long time coming. After 6 years of hearing my son call my Subaru Outback a "man purse car" (pretty sure he was afraid he'd inherit it someday), it was time to nut up a little bit this time. I gotta be honest... that Outback was a swiss army knife, it did absolutely everything I asked of it including passing plenty of much more expensive SUVs in the ditch while I was plowing through snow like a tractor. And it was perfectly (almost insanely) reliable. But hey, you can't live your WHOLE life being practical ALL the time, and with the year 2020 turned out to be it's high time for some fun.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I'd check out For Fox Sake Offroad. The owner is Sean Fox. He's in Franklin and is a great guy and really knows Jeeps. He's got a pretty badass TJ, himself. He'll treat you well and do the work right. 2512 W State Road 144, Franklin, 46131, 317-204-8776. Tell him Dan Wilson from Indy Jeep Junkies sent you.

Thank you very much PS. I really appreciate that. I’ll get with him.

Grogmister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    I'll watch for your report on the Appalachian Byway. I've been entertaining a trip out that way.

We'll FINALLY be up in Michigan this next weekend. The Silver Lake Jeep Invasion was cancelled (thanks, Michigan Government). We are invading anyway. At the very least, we can hit the dunes, explore a little, and relax a LOT.

Also planning a trip back down to Kentucky and the KAT for November. We ran the KAT in several sections west of I-75 earlier in the summer. I'm trying to convince my wife to run a bit of it to the east this time.
    Didn’t know they canceled the invasion! I did notice there were still plenty of hotels available and thought it was odd. My oldest son and I are heading up for a Sunday/Monday (his days off) dune trip on Oct 11. I expect the dunes to not be packed like they were on our last trip. Post some pics when you get back!

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Didn’t know they canceled the invasion! I did notice there were still plenty of hotels available and thought it was odd. My oldest son and I are heading up for a Sunday/Monday (his days off) dune trip on Oct 11. I expect the dunes to not be packed like they were on our last trip. Post some pics when you get back!

Check out the camp site along the KAT about halfway through this video. At about the 12:05 mark, in the morning, the fog moving through the valley is captured in time lapse. It looks like a cloud river! AMAZING! I think if you become a Patreon for this guy, he'll share that location, but I'm not 100% sure of that. I'm sure if you reach out to him he'd let you know.

[video=youtube_share;CiCKxvsV6Ig]https://youtu.be/CiCKxvsV6Ig?t=736[/video]

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Does anyone have a Curry/Rock Jock Antirock front sway bar/torsion system on a 4 door JK? If so, let me know your impressions on it.

My JKUR's swaybar disconnect has gotten to where it struggles to lock or unlock and when locked, I feel like it is worn out and just has too much play in it. I'm looking for a low-miles replacement, or one from a Rubi that has done little off-roading, with or without the electronic actuator. (I have an EVO manual actuator, so the electronic one is not necessary). The best price I've found on a new one is $1400. That's a bit painful for a Jeep that so seldom sees trails anymore. I still want the capability, but just not at that price.

So the Antirock is about 500 bucks, which I can swallow. I just don't want there to be too much body roll on the road. So how does it compare on-road to the stock locked sway bar or stock solid sway bar for non-Rubicons? I do think it would give me what I want off-road. It is the on-road part that concerns me as my wife and 17yo son will be driving it on occasion.

Last edited:

Dan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2020
    Warsaw
    Sadly at the moment I am jeepless but I’ve owned many a TJ in my life. I’ll always wish I had another. Hope to get a gladiator someday. Plus I hear jeeps considering putting out a pretty robust overlanding jeep called the Far Out edition. Supposed to be a pretty capable long distance backcountry travel rig complete with built in RTT or habitat.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I have always wanted a Jeep Wrangler and finally pulled the trigger on one back in April. I had so much fun driving naked all summer long. It’s just a fun ride and something just for tooling around.

Its a 97 TJ i6 just under 150k lifted with 33s.

When I bought it the owner told me there was a minor exhaust leak. Figure I’d rather take care of this now and I’m thinking I should just go ahead and have the exhaust manifold replaced.

So, my question to my fellow firearms and Jeep enthusiasts, do you know have any recommendations for a good shop that does work on Wranglers near Greenwood preferably?

FWIW, I have a 3 part video series on my YouTube channel of the exhaust manifold replacement I did on my 4.0 TJ last summer. It's not a terrible job to do yourself.

They're in this playlist if you want to have a look. There will be a boatload more TJ videos coming soon too. I'm just wrapping up filming a complete root-to-toot fluid flush on the entire Jeep.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I found a Rubi disconnecting sway bar, including the actuator. I pick it up Friday It is off a 2015 that was totalled when it had only 1500 miles on it, so it is in new condition. Driving out Friday night to pick it up and install it.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Successfully invaded Silver Lake! Chilly, and a bit wet, but a great weekend. I think my wife has a lot more pics on her phone. Here are a few I took:
    yCCgg39.jpg

GaWCcKV.jpg

BvlD37Z.jpg

We also spent a day exploring the local "unimproved county roads". There is some really pretty scenery in Michigan.

The Gladiator did fantastic. No troubles at all. Didn't do anything nutty this trip. Just bounced around the sand for a day and a half, explored the area, visited Pentwater, and relaxed around the fire pit in the evenings.

My wife is already planning the next trip up. Literally. Was looking at other rentals before we even left! Need to get the 2021 Jeep Invasion dates. We stayed an extra day this time. I think we will try to stay a week next year. If they have decent internet, I can work for a day or so while the girls goof off.

Wouldn't mind organizing a trip up with a group next spring/summer. We've been enough to know the ins-and-outs.

Grogmister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Looked like a good crowd. My oldest son and I are headed back up in 2 weeks for a few days. My wife is wanting to try and do a weeks vacation next year up there as well. Keep me in mind if you organize a trip!

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Successfully invaded Silver Lake! Chilly, and a bit wet, but a great weekend. I think my wife has a lot more pics on her phone. Here are a few I took:
    yCCgg39.jpg

GaWCcKV.jpg

BvlD37Z.jpg

We also spent a day exploring the local "unimproved county roads". There is some really pretty scenery in Michigan.

The Gladiator did fantastic. No troubles at all. Didn't do anything nutty this trip. Just bounced around the sand for a day and a half, explored the area, visited Pentwater, and relaxed around the fire pit in the evenings.

My wife is already planning the next trip up. Literally. Was looking at other rentals before we even left! Need to get the 2021 Jeep Invasion dates. We stayed an extra day this time. I think we will try to stay a week next year. If they have decent internet, I can work for a day or so while the girls goof off.

Wouldn't mind organizing a trip up with a group next spring/summer. We've been enough to know the ins-and-outs.

Looks like a blast! An Ingo Jeep trip would be epic!

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I found a Rubi disconnecting sway bar, including the actuator. I pick it up Friday It is off a 2015 that was totalled when it had only 1500 miles on it, so it is in new condition. Driving out Friday night to pick it up and install it.

My son and I installed the "new" disconnecting sway bar. First, it was MUCH tighter when connected than the original, so that confirms the original is worn out. Then the test....We took it over to a gravel road, put it in 4 low, and it disengaged and engaged quickly and fully. So the old Rubi is back to 100% mission capable! My brother will be driving her on the Appalatian Byway, so after an oil change, she'll be ready to go!

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Ok, I'm sore. I've completed lots of work was done mostly yesterday and during the last week on both the JK and JL, although mostly the JK. She's hitting the trail for the first time in 3 years as we take both on an Appalachian Byway adventure!

So, the following was done to the JK: Tried to fix, then replaced the disconnecting sway bar. The old one was just worn out. I also changed the front and rear differential oil, transfer case fluid, and then engine oil/filter, along with other small items like greasing the ball joints (I have aftermarket steel ball joints that were a BIG upgrade over the stock units that wore out around 100k.) Tires were also rotated/balanced. Spark plugs are next. She runs and drives absolutely like new.

On the JL, I installed an adjustable rear track bar that is heavier and can be adjusted without removal. It didn't take much to center the axle, but even a little off bugs me. I'll be adjusting the front to fine tune it, as well, but I have to remove it to do so. I also changed the oil on it and added a Gold Plug magnetic drain plug. I changed differential fluid a few weeks ago when I added a front Rancho diff skid and a rear ARB cover. All the other fluids are too new to worry about, having been changed between 10k and 15k miles ago. I also swapped the hard top and sunrider back onto it.

This trip should be a great one. We'll post lots of pics including some good ones and maybe some video from drones. We wound up with fewer people going, so we will mostly camp along the way since we have plenty of cargo room.

Gold Plug for the JL. This magnet is STRONG! Not sure if any real benefit, but it certainly won't hurt, either.
    vpZp7Qv.jpg
    R924gNF.jpg

iIee7kG.jpg
    And the old girl is ready to get back to what she does best!
    Q9ZjLk7.jpg

We'll be going from the border of NC/GA and following the route up to the VA/PA border, time permitting. We've got 1 week to make the journey. The most challenging part in terms of off-roading is supposed to be in VA in both the Jefferson and Washington National Forests. We'll be doing the purple, green, and red tracks. I'm hoping we get it done with enough time to check out Ghettysburg on the way home.
    F2iq0ws.png

If anyone wants to join us, saddle up and load up your Jeep and let me know! We leave from the SW side of Indy Friday just a few minutes after 4pm. We have CB's but will primarily use GMRS radios. 3 Jeeps in the group, including my buddy's 2 door JKR, and my JKUR and JLUR.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Here is something fun. Pentastars are notorious for twisting oil filters and mine have all twisted like Chubby Checker. I've run Mopar, Fram, and Mobil 1, and they all did it to varying degrees. The last one was different, though. It is a Mobil 1 filter and it was among the longer runs at 6300 miles.
    mxvyUPS.jpg

For reference, here's a typical level of twist on previous filters:
    KiKI5yt.jpg

And, the worst I've seen.
    TW0EZ4q.jpg

So the good news is that I asked my friend who was an FCA engineer and was one of the designers of the Pentastar if this is a problem. He said not at all. He said they did huge studies on it and found no ill effect.

I put a new Fram and another new M1 next to the one with no twist. The one with no twist was very slightly shorter. Hmm. Not sure if compression over time had something to do with it, so I'll do the same when the current filter comes out. Also, for those wondering, I torque the filter cap to 18ft lbs, which is factory spec, every time. Yes, with a torque wrench. I know, I'm a bit OCD with this stuff.

Grogmister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Had a blast with my son at SL sand dunes. Probably will do a little more tomorrow before heading home. Had a great time, sunny but windy and chilly. Nice crowd but not packed by any means. Whole damn town is shut down. Can’t even get food but it is the end of the season. Sorry damn website won’t let me attach pics for some reason. Apparently I’m over my allowance or something.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GetLow16
    Top Bottom