• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tscherry70

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 7, 2021
    Bedford
    I reload most everything I own but I have never casted a single one. Ya'll got some nice looking casts.

I'm curious what you guys think about casting pure copper bullets. Is it the same process as lead?

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I reload most everything I own but I have never casted a single one. Ya'll got some nice looking casts.

I'm curious what you guys think about casting pure copper bullets. Is it the same process as lead?

You're talking about 700⁰ for lead vs almost 2000⁰ for copper.

I've thought about buying a lathe and turning copper bullets from bar stock. This is probably the proper way to make them.

ranger391xt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2019
    West Lafayette
    I started casting back in 2019 for a small model cannon and I've expanded to casting for a whole bunch of calibers.

.380, 9mm, .45 ACP, .45 LC, .300 BLK, .45-70, 11mm Chassepot, 11mm Mauser, 11x59R Gras, .577 Snider, 450/577 Martini, .54 Burnside, .58 Minié ball, .69 round ball (both .648 and .662), and of course, 2" 2 pound projectiles for my Whitworth cannon.

I powder coat all the rounds I'm loading for smokeless powder (just lard/beeswax grease for the blackpowder bullets).

But definitely finding lead is difficult. When I started, I lucked out and bought a bunch of ingots from a guy getting out of casting. Since then, I've just bought ingots from other scrapper/casters on eBay generally.

I've called a bunch of the scrap yards/recyclers around Indianapolis and none I talked to will sell to the public. The tire shops I've talked to said they aren't seeing lead wheel weights anymore. Even the roofers I've talked to seemed to have no idea what I was talking about when I asked about roofing lead (which is weird, since I'm pretty sure it's still heavily used).

It's definitely a tough hobby to pick up now a days.
    One source to keep a check on is estate sales. If you see an auction that has reloading stuff, there is always a chance there could be some lead there.

tscherry70

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 7, 2021
    Bedford
    You're talking about 700⁰ for lead vs almost 2000⁰ for copper.

I've thought about buying a lathe and turning copper bullets from bar stock. This is probably the proper way to make them.
    I do blacksmithing and my forge can get up to 2000F. I've seen guys make pure copper hammers with sand molds, but yeah a forge is needed to smelt the metal.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Just scrapped 250 lbs worth of already cast into Lyman ingots.

Too many tire kickers or folks not following through. Done messin w the stuff.

I must have missed your add in the classifieds? :dunno:

Should have posted a link to your add in this thread. Lot of INGO casters here looking for a good deal on lead, especially ingots of already a bullet lead mix.

:scratch:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    How do you lube your rifle bullets?
    I think that polymer coating would work well for rifle bullets.
    I've used 180gr 16bhn polymer coated 180gr for my 44mag, and with the 6.5" barrel I was avg over 1750fps no fouling other than powder. I would think it might work for rifles.
    If I could find some 150gr 16bhn .309 caliber bullets I'd try it in my 308-win bolt action and see what kind of velocity I can get out of it before it starts fouling.
    Start low as possible and work up.
    I could probably try out those heavy 220gr 300blk out bullets in the 308-win also.
    Start with 40gr CFE 223. That might produce around 2100fps in my 20" barrel. Then see what happens from there.

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    I carried 65 lbs of cans to the scrapyard for 30 cents per lb. Checked on lead, 46 lbs of cast iron seals and a few wheel weights that went thud on the concrete for 15 cents per lb.

I just sent Lt Col of the high school MCJROTC program a text. "I'm ready to clean the range rooms when it's a good time for you." The reply was, you can today between noon and 3:30 pm. I'll get about 45 lbs of spent .177 pellets.

Last edited:

Swcalvert1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2023
    Morristown
    The answer is "it depends". Mainly on how much the lead costs you. If you pay $2/ lb, and are casting 158 gr bullets for 38/357, you get 44 bullets per pound, so just under 5 cents per bullet in that scenario. At $4 / lb, it's 10 cents. I think even at that cost, it's still economical in today's market.

Lead / powder coated bullets are also less wear on your barrel.
    I have around 200 lbs of lead, and I don't want to take it to the recycling center. Any suggestions or persons I can sell it to?

Swcalvert1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2023
    Morristown
    One source to keep a check on is estate sales. If you see an auction that has reloading stuff, there is always a chance there could be some lead there.
    have around 200 lbs of lead, and I don't want to take it to the recycling center. Any suggestions or persons I can sell it to?

Swcalvert1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2023
    Morristown
    I heard $2 a pound was a fair price, but that was on this forum. It also said $4/lb so idk I was thinking meet half way at $3 a pound. What do you think? You were the first person to reply
    Somewhere in this forum it said from 2 to $4 a pound but I don't know anything about this so maybe meet halfway at $3 a pound. You're the first to reply so I guess you have privilege so let me know what you're going to do because my mailbox is getting hit hard

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I heard $2 a pound was a fair price, but that was on this forum. It also said $4/lb so idk I was thinking meet half way at $3 a pound. What do you think? You were the first person to reply

Somewhere in this forum it said from 2 to $4 a pound but I don't know anything about this so maybe meet halfway at $3 a pound. You're the first to reply so I guess you have privilege so let me know what you're going to do because my mailbox is getting hit hard

Looks like I'm talking to myself here. Sorry about whatever happened. Bummer. Hope you find your way back, my friend.

On lead, I'd be looking for a much better price then that. No idea who said $2 a pound is good? Not for me. Maybe I'm just too cheap?

Any idea what the scrap yards are paying? Can't be that high, right?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

Good Luck with selling for those prices. This spring bought 700+ lbs of wheel weights for $65.00 from an Indiana scrapyard.

If you cant get what you want here for it, lead tends to go for good money om Castboolits.com
    but like here, you have to get the post count before you can use the classifieds.
    thumbnail15.jpg

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan

I got my 450+lbs for $30. That figures to $.06/lb.

Top Bottom