• BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Been casting for a while. Anyone else?
    I used to do it when I was shooting raw lead bullets. Back then, I could get scrap lead (mostly wheel weights) for little or nothing and I had a decent place to cast with ventilation. None of that exists for me anymore and I shoot indoors almost exclusively. The smoke from lube is bothersome. Wheel weights contain zinc, which is not good for bullet casting. I shoot mostly coated bullets now. I still have all the equipment, though.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    I used to do it when I was shooting raw lead bullets. Back then, I could get scrap lead (mostly wheel weights) for little or nothing and I had a decent place to cast with ventilation. None of that exists for me anymore and I shoot indoors almost exclusively. The smoke from lube is bothersome. Wheel weights contain zinc, which is not good for bullet casting. I shoot mostly coated bullets now. I still have all the equipment, though.
    I’ve been working on over 500# of lead wheel weights I got for $30 15 years ago. Have a garage, open door. All of the zinc weights melt at much higher temp. Keep melt below 725*F and should be good to go.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Lead wheel weights have no zinc, lead weights are softer than zinc wheel weights.
    Wheel weight is molten at 505F, pure lead at 621F and zinc at 787F.

My last wheel weight haul.
    20230304_140515.jpg

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    From back when I was experimenting with different lubes. This one is copper and graphite.

After doing this and using different lube grooves, I settled back with tumble lubing because it protects the lead itself from oxidation should I store cast boolits for a bit before actually shooting them.

swc.jpg

ranger391xt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2019
    West Lafayette
    I cast mainly for pistol. 38/357, 40/10mm, and 45 ACP. I also have molds for .44, for the day I finally pick up something in that caiber.

I use whatever I can get my hands on for alloy. Mainly range scrap mixed with a bit of linotype for an increase in hardness. This seems to work well with powder coating.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Powdercoat for me. I never wanted to fool with actual bullet lube. The advent of home coating is what got me started. And the cost savings, of course.

Last edited:

Guns&engines

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2021
    I've been casting for 9mm, 38/357, 44spcl/mag, 45acp, and 45colt for a little over a year now. I powder coat them. I got a mold for 50cal round balls, but haven't tried that yet. Also been thinking about trying to do some 308 rifle rounds, but that seems much more complicated.

Attachments

• 20230309_200950.jpg
      20230309_200950.jpg
      575.4 KB · Views: 10
    • 20230309_200946.jpg
      20230309_200946.jpg
      603.2 KB · Views: 10

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I wanna cast magic missile.
    So what movie do you want to cast the magic missiles in?

Kidding aside, I find this aspect of reloading interesting, but not sure I want to dive into it.

After approximately three years of reloading 9 mm, 45 ACP and .223 I have finally developed a good system and rhythm down pat.

In my particular case, because I purchased components in the pre-pandemic and scarcity market it has been very cost-effective for me to reload.

How are the economics of casting bullets?

Last edited:

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    A couple .50cal balls I cast. I was testing terminal ballistics in this pic.

After cutting the sprues, I throw them in a rock tumbler with some graphite for a bit and let them pound themselves into uniformity. They seem to shoot better this way.

balls.jpg

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Powdercoat for me. I never wanted to fool with actual bullet lube. The advent of home coating is what got me started. And the cost savings, of course.

How fast can you push powder coat over traditional lube? I've wanted to cast for 7.62x54r but don't like the low speeds that necessitates. I wonder if powder coating could get me up to around 2500fps?

Top Bottom