• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lpherr

Occupied
    Any favorites?
    I haven't partaken of Brandy, but it popped up in an irrelevant search.
    They sound like they are fruity, and have a sweet taste.

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    my liquor preference is cognac/brandy. Cognac is a regional Brandy, like Bourbon is a regional whiskey. It has an interesting history, especially with black folk, WWII, and hip hop music, lol, if interested.

they aren't fruity and sweet like a wine or so can be, but compared to other liquors then yes you can say that. recommendations are tough because it takes a type of person who has the palate for variety and details. In my experience if you're the type to just mix most drinks or rarely pay $50+/bottle for anything, brandy probably isn't the right liquor choice only because there are better alternatives. especially with prices lately - they're getting spendy.

aged levels:

VS - at least two years. most of these you'll want to mix. can't go wrong with Henny/Dusse and some Kool Aid.

VSOP - at least four years. this is where sipping neat should start, and it's nice to use a proper glass of doing so. Martell VSOPs are my favorite. Remy Martin 1738 is a blend, and while technically not VSOP, I will include here because it is priced as such. 1738 is my favorite bottle when reasonably priced, ≤$50.

XO or XR or other special - at least 6 years. truly special liquor. some can be incredible, others just fair. this is where it gets detailed and subjective. and, spendy.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Brandy should be drank warm, the snifter is made to put the stem between your fingers and the heat from your hand will warm the drink.

I like Hardy VSOP, Kelt, and Hine. Great relaxing drink…

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    A cheap way to start / whet your palate: Cheap blackberry brandy liqueur.

I wouldn't call it a "real" brandy. But it's pretty tasty.

Lpherr

Occupied
    A cheap way to start / whet your palate: Cheap blackberry brandy liqueur.

I wouldn't call it a "real" brandy. But it's pretty tasty.
    I did see several Blackberry Brandy's, and the price was much less than something like the Park VSOP.
    I figured there had to be a reason, but the flavor sounds interesting.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I did see several Blackberry Brandy's, and the price was much less than something like the Park VSOP.
    I figured there had to be a reason, but the flavor sounds interesting.
    Drink it over ice... Maybe mix it with a cola. Even a flavored cola / dark soda. Probably be good in a cherry coke or dr pepper.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    my liquor preference is cognac/brandy. Cognac is a regional Brandy, like Bourbon is a regional whiskey. It has an interesting history, especially with black folk, WWII, and hip hop music, lol, if interested.

they aren't fruity and sweet like a wine or so can be, but compared to other liquors then yes you can say that. recommendations are tough because it takes a type of person who has the palate for variety and details. In my experience if you're the type to just mix most drinks or rarely pay $50+/bottle for anything, brandy probably isn't the right liquor choice only because there are better alternatives. especially with prices lately - they're getting spendy.

aged levels:

VS - at least two years. most of these you'll want to mix. can't go wrong with Henny/Dusse and some Kool Aid.

VSOP - at least four years. this is where sipping neat should start, and it's nice to use a proper glass of doing so. Martell VSOPs are my favorite. Remy Martin 1738 is a blend, and while technically not VSOP, I will include here because it is priced as such. 1738 is my favorite bottle when reasonably priced, ≤$50.

XO or XR or other special - at least 6 years. truly special liquor. some can be incredible, others just fair. this is where it gets detailed and subjective. and, spendy.
    Bourbon isn't regional like most people think, it can be made anywhere in the USA. It just has to have a mash bill of at least 51% corn, be aged at least 2 years in new charred white oak barrels, distillation proof of no more than 160, barreled no higher than 125 proof, and bottled no less than 80 proof.

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    Bourbon isn't regional like most people think, it can be made anywhere in the USA. It just has to have a mash bill of at least 51% corn, be aged at least 2 years in new charred white oak barrels, distillation proof of no more than 160, barreled no higher than 125 proof, and bottled no less than 80 proof.
    if Kentuckians could read they'd be offended by this

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    if Kentuckians could read they'd be offended by this
    But it is true. This country does not protect food and drink names like Europe, one of the few things I believe they get right. It took France a long time to get the US to stop sparkling wine sellers from calling their product champagne, a product of a specific region of France. They still allow BS injected ham to be called prosciutto, a ham made in Italy from hogs fed the whey from parmesan cheese and aged on salt beds.

Vodnik4

Aspiring Redneck
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2021
    Monroe
    When my Dad was younger, he enjoyed his cognac and was quite a connoisseur. Didn’t buy much, but what bottles he got were quality.

If he would hear that someone is mixing a noble beverage like that with Coke, he would probably get a bit chokey and stabby.

Lpherr

Occupied
    I've always heard, the water source plays a part in the final product. :dunno:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    If he would hear that someone is mixing a noble beverage like that with Coke, he would probably get a bit chokey and stabby.
    IMO, there's a big difference between what is purchased to be mixed and what is purchased to be consumed neat.

Low shelf / Mixer stuff is more of a liqueur vs. a "spirit".

Lpherr

Occupied
    It certainly plays a big part in the flavor and smoothness of the final product, but technically bourbon could be made with any water, even tap water from Flint :puke:
    Or even from a portable john, but I was referring to the flavor part.:thumbsup:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    But it is true. This country does not protect food and drink names like Europe, one of the few things I believe they get right. It took France a long time to get the US to stop sparkling wine sellers from calling their product champagne, a product of a specific region of France. They still allow BS injected ham to be called prosciutto, a ham made in Italy from hogs fed the whey from parmesan cheese and aged on salt beds.
    All ham in Italy is prosciutto, even the BS injected ham. What you are talking about is Prosciutto de Parma which is a uncooked, salt cured, and dry aged and comes from the Parma region of Italy and the pigs are frequently fed whey but not required. There are other prosciuttos that are named specifically after other regions as well, Prosciutto de San Daniele is another one.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    All ham in Italy is prosciutto, even the BS injected ham. What you are talking about is Prosciutto de Parma which is a uncooked, salt cured, and dry aged and comes from the Parma region of Italy and the pigs are frequently fed whey but not required. There are other prosciuttos that are named specifically after other regions as well, Prosciutto de San Daniele is another one.
    That is what most folks think of when they think of Italian prosciutto, though there are others which makes my point, the US does not protect food and drink names as well.

Top Bottom