• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bighoss91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 14, 2020
    Milton
    Just lost Victory Range and Armory (VRA) in new castle. Had one of the nicest indoor ranges, were also a dealer in nfa items.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Used to frequent Westworth's from time to time but that's been many years ago. Sad to see a LGS go but I can understand why.

Another place that I used to frequent many years ago was Jim Shema's Outdoor Sports that was located in Merrillville. He owned and operated it with his wife for 31 years. (Wondering how many from the area remember that place?) Shema passed away in Jan. 2023 at the age of 78.

" He was an avid hunter, fisherman, and a champion shooter. Jim was a longtime member of U.S.P.S.A. and a Three Gun Shooter. He loved the outdoors and teaching his nieces and nephews about the great outdoors and training them on firearms."

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    That is sad news. They are the only place in the area that would still get some cool older guns in. He told me from estate sales and things like that.
    Thats because most shops put the cool older trade in stuff straight to gunbroker. I cant blame them and its there stuff to do with as they please but.......It takes the thrill outta stopping in gun shops and finding cool stuff. You know most likely all your gonna see in the case is Glocks LCRs S&W EZ and .22 rough riders. Not that there's anything at all wrong with those. I just miss the hunt and haggle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    Seems to be a trend. Gun sales are just like everything else, highs and lows. Unfortunately, the small business owner is first to take a hit. A lot of new gun owners come in hot at first then realize it can be pretty expensive hobby. For example, most don't know to seriously shop online and look for better deals let's say on ammo. So they grab a couple boxes at a shop or worse yet big box and pay premium prices, some targets, and head to a public range. So, for one day including everything they have probably dished out $100 or more four couple hours of shooting. That takes a quick toll. Now don't get me wrong I'm all for supporting our local business but sometimes they just can't compete with online mega companies.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    The 24th is there last day. The buildings being demolished and a 4th truck stop/gas station is going in. Just what that area needs :ugh:.
    The fuel companies getting push back from the county, hopefully they get rejected. We lose the range either way.
    The LGS is closing. I see more rest areas closed than built. Electronic logging devices ELD have been required for semis for a few years now. OTR drivers get a warning from the ELD prior to going over their hours and getting a violation. They need a place to park and refuel. Without the trucks running there won't be goods on the shelf. Seems to be noticeable supply chain problems already. Does the County know about this and wouldn't a big business help their tax base to improve roadways?

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    Used to frequent Westworth's from time to time but that's been many years ago. Sad to see a LGS go but I can understand why.

Another place that I used to frequent many years ago was Jim Shema's Outdoor Sports that was located in Merrillville. He owned and operated it with his wife for 31 years. (Wondering how many from the area remember that place?) Shema passed away in Jan. 2023 at the age of 78.

" He was an avid hunter, fisherman, and a champion shooter. Jim was a longtime member of U.S.P.S.A. and a Three Gun Shooter. He loved the outdoors and teaching his nieces and nephews about the great outdoors and training them on firearms."
    i shot competition (USPSA & SCSA) with jim a few times over the years/ he was always a nice guy. i was really bummed when he closed the store on broadway. it was a dun place to hang out and BS

Reactions: KG1

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    i shot competition (USPSA & SCSA) with jim a few times over the years/ he was always a nice guy. i was really bummed when he closed the store on broadway. it was a dun place to hang out and BS
    Yeah he was a nice guy. Me and a buddy of mine used to frequent his store to buy stuff and he always had the time to shoot the breeze with us for a few minutes. We got to know him pretty well. That's the only shooting we did with him though. :):

Last edited:

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Agree about the LGS stores at Sheemas, and Westforth. Sadly, times and areas change, and owners do age with the business.
    Both were pretty old school ops places. With all the attacks on 2nd Amendment, doesn't surprise me that they choose to retire and enjoy some life goals.
    Will miss them all to visit, and chat, trade and sell a few safe queens. Never felt overcharged to deal with them, they had to make an income to stay open.
    Good luck to all, enjoy them while you can, buy some ammo, and extras too. It's only money, and go out and target shoot, too. They all taught us about the sports of firearms.

Top Bottom