Another Buyer Beware Do Not Become a Victim Like Me.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Huzrjim

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Monroe County
    I primarily use this site, but have bought a few guns locally with Armslist, no issues. Several times I have gotten no replies on that site, but I have purchased some nice firearms F2F, so YMMV. For specific items, I have used GB from time to time with zero issues.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    This is the weirdest scammer story I've ever read.

Are you sure it's a real postal money order?

Yes it is real. Already checked it out with our local post office. As far as being the "weirdest" scam story? I have nothing to compare it too because it is my first time being scammed?

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Your description is exactly how the Sheriffs Deputy explained it to me. During the Deputy's questioning of her. She mentioned she had met this guy on line and he was in Dubai stationed in the US Army. So there is the foreign country connection. The deputy basically told her it appears she may also be the victim of a scam through this person. Unfortunately, he told her her "soul mate" (as you say) has left her holding the bag and now she owes me either the rifle or $1070.00 or possibly face Federal charges. That really "perked" her up and she suddenly became willing to make payments. Hopefully she continues to follow through.

Years ago one of these scammers contacted my mother on Facebook. They are excellent at manipulating people. He told my mother that he was stationed in Africa with the US army. I told her immediately that he was a scammer but she wouldn’t hear of it. She was convinced that he was her soul mate and wouldn’t hear anything to the contrary. They had long conversations via Facebook messenger.

Luckily when he started asking her for money his story was that he was hungry. My grandfather served in the Marine Corps in the 1950’s and she knew better than the army would let it soldiers go hungry at a base. That was the end of that.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    UPDATE! I contacted my local Sheriff's Dep(this past Thursday AM)t just to see what if anything could be done? The investigator told me they can take my information, but most likely very little will come of it. He did however send a Deputy out to my place to take my statement and look at what information that I had on the scammer/ dirt-bag. The officer came and reviewed and took what information I had. To include e-mails, text numbers, e-mail which she sent that contained a picture of her New Jersey I.D Card (which I figured later on was fake anyway). The officer then said. "Okay I am going out to the car, I will be back in a little while". About 20 minutes later he came back into the house and said "come out to the car, I have her on the phone" I about fell out of my chair as I had tried in vain for a week to get her. He did it in 20 minutes. Anyway, I got in the car and he had her on speaker. Now he had talked to her previous to bringing me in. He introduced me to her on the phone/computer. I stated my case to her. She denied that it was ever her.She claimed some guy (by name) had brought her into this? She did admit that the ID that was sent was hers, but claimed she never sent it? The officer told her. be that is it may, her name is all over this scam. Then he started talking to her about federal prison time for a scam like this and what she might expect, unless I either received the rifle or my $1070.00 back. After he said that she started singing like a canary. Dropping names and such. She still maintained that she didn't do it but was working with a other person who ran things. The officer then asked when I would get my money back? She said she did not have the money, but could make payments starting next Friday as that is when her unemployment check arrives as he indicated she cannot work because of Covid -19? This is the short version of what took place, but that officer(through questions and answers) had her contradicting herself through the whole conversation with he and I. Bottom line is I am to start relieving payments(postal money orders) as of this next Friday. Will I? Even the officer said no guarantees, but at least we planted the seed. This woman was as guilty as the day is long. So...we will see what turns up.

That Deputy is a boss.

Katana1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I'm guessing you are talking about buying a gun from out of state? I would NEVER buy a gun from out of state on Armslist. Armslist is for local face-to-face transactions only. I've sold a few guns on Armslist locally and have never had a problem.

Isn't person to person interstate firearms sales a no no. FFL only, if out of state, or am I mistaken.

Katana1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I have managed to stay away from Armslist. From all the horror stories I have heard, I just prefer to use GB, Sportsmans Guide, Ingo or LGS.
    Every so often I get on Armslist to check out prices and see if there is anything worth trying, but I typically get scared and end up leaving... :(

I have seen adds that require 1) An Indiana drivers licence and 2) a LTC. That sounds like it might be more legit, but then again, what is the sellers ID?

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I had no intention of going person to person. I had my FFL send a signed copy of his FFL to her. Which she concurred she had received. So yes, you are correct out of state person to person is a no no but that was never my plan.

DMTJAGER

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    WHITING
    Thanks OP very nearly bought more than a few guns off A/L. Wont consider any more. Have heard more than a few people proclaiming A/L as a scam artists preferred area of operation. Will now avoid.

Truly sorry about your loss.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks OP very nearly bought more than a few guns off A/L. Wont consider any more. Have heard more than a few people proclaiming A/L as a scam artists preferred area of operation. Will now avoid.

Truly sorry about your loss.

It not terrible, but just follow a simple rule: never, never, never send money to an Armslist seller.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Always go with back up.

Always. Unless its an Ingo deal then go for the gun the conversation and meeting good people.

Few years back I bought a revolver from a guy on INGO. We set a place to meet as well as a time. He changed the place within a few minutes of the meet. It was just a mile down the road. I show up and notice a guy in a truck staring at me and the seller.

Seller fessed up and said that was his buddy and he was back-up in case the meet went bad. Daytime, public place with lots of people. That was fine as it made him feel good. His buddy got out and walked over to us. The back-up had a pistol shoved into his front pants pocket so deep I think he needed a map to get it.

First AR I bought from an INGO member went sour. Talked everything thru. I was to meet in Indy. He sends his lady friend instead of showing up. No worries. Got thru the deal, got back in the car and my spouse asked if the woman had been sent as a distraction. She was decent looking and dressed for a non-business like meeting. It was funny. We laughed about it until I got back and the thing would single shoot only, scope was wonky, short changed me on the ammo, etc..

I hounded the guy for months. He even posted something else for sale here and I replied that I would take it in as trade then he would only owe me XX dollars for the bad deal. He finally met me close to a jobsite and brought the extras to kind of make the deal right.

But all in all I have enjoyed my deals with INGO peeps. Some are odd, some are cool. Some I will not talk to ever again. It's just like real life.

I even met this one guy Indy-ish area. Bought a bunch of Saiga shotty stuff from him. He rolled up in his service van. We shot the breeze for a bit and he started showing me all this pictures of cars he and his crew used to build, or work on. He was new to the forum.

migunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 4, 2011
    DeMotte
    I have always been suspicious of Armslist. I have managed to resist some very attractive looking deals. I am sorry to hear of someone getting scamed out
    of hard earned $.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Few years back I bought a revolver from a guy on INGO. We set a place to meet as well as a time. He changed the place within a few minutes of the meet. It was just a mile down the road. I show up and notice a guy in a truck staring at me and the seller.

Seller fessed up and said that was his buddy and he was back-up in case the meet went bad. Daytime, public place with lots of people. That was fine as it made him feel good. His buddy got out and walked over to us. The back-up had a pistol shoved into his front pants pocket so deep I think he needed a map to get it.

First AR I bought from an INGO member went sour. Talked everything thru. I was to meet in Indy. He sends his lady friend instead of showing up. No worries. Got thru the deal, got back in the car and my spouse asked if the woman had been sent as a distraction. She was decent looking and dressed for a non-business like meeting. It was funny. We laughed about it until I got back and the thing would single shoot only, scope was wonky, short changed me on the ammo, etc..

I hounded the guy for months. He even posted something else for sale here and I replied that I would take it in as trade then he would only owe me XX dollars for the bad deal. He finally met me close to a jobsite and brought the extras to kind of make the deal right.

But all in all I have enjoyed my deals with INGO peeps. Some are odd, some are cool. Some I will not talk to ever again. It's just like real life.

I even met this one guy Indy-ish area. Bought a bunch of Saiga shotty stuff from him. He rolled up in his service van. We shot the breeze for a bit and he started showing me all this pictures of cars he and his crew used to build, or work on. He was new to the forum.

:scratch:

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I have always been suspicious of Armslist. I have managed to resist some very attractive looking deals. I am sorry to hear of someone getting scamed out
    of hard earned $.

I much prefer INGO but have done a few armslist transactions but most of the scams are obvious once you start talking to them, like send money to Nigeria obvious.

rhrlaw

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 20, 2020
    Carmel
    I responded to a WTB in INGO a few weeks back, literally could not have gone any better, and almost zero risk given the buyer and I discovered we work for the same company + roughly the same area of business!

MongooseLaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 5, 2019
    Albion
    I would have to disagree with the "avoid armslist" sentiment. I have picked up highly collectible milsurps and great deals that I would have never found otherwise. Two simple rules, only do local deals and be smart about it, if you do have something shipped only do it through a premium vendor, a store that lists on armslist and has a real website/phone number you can call.

Top Bottom