Another Buyer Beware Do Not Become a Victim Like Me.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Assuming that is for protection, assuming postal inspectors, etc will come down hard on them for defrauding the govt, I wouldnt count in it. They are too busy with everything else to worry about your $500 loss.

Local sales only, cash in hand, or if you MUST cross state lines use some kind of escrow service to protect your money.

Non face to face transactions just arent worth it anymore, IMHO. Risk is too high due to scammers.

Postal money orders for gun broker if they don't take credit. I've had people back out of deals on tools when I said I'd only pay with pmo, so it still carries weight vs anything else.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    With most anything I have ever desired to own available locally I have never understood the desire to go nation wide in search of a ****ing G**** so color me confused.

Collector items I totally get but the people I know who collect only use Gun Broker or other avenues to find/purchase what they desire.

Also, unless I can actually touch "IT" "IT" being a car boat bike gun etc (major purchases) I will stick wit local sources.

three50seven

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    Miami County
    I've been dealing on Armslist for probably close to 10 years. I've had a couple sketchy meet-ups, but it's always been my rule to be armed and bring along someone else who is armed as well. So far, I've never had a problem. In fact, many times I end up spending several minutes talking to the buyer/seller since we obviously share some similar interests.

I've only purchased 1 gun off armslist that was out of state, and that was from a gun shop in Ohio. I talked to the owner on the phone multiple times and had the rifle shipped to a local dealer. The the whole transaction went very smooth.

From my experience, it's easy to tell if someone is going to be difficult to deal with right away. Here are some basic rules I've compiled for myself.

- If the gun you're selling is cheap, you're going to attract losers. Plan accordingly.

- If their emails or texts look like they're being written by a 3rd grader, just walk away.

- If they say they can't travel or don't have gas money, just walk away.

- Try to meet up as soon as possible once a deal has been struck. The longer you wait, the less likely the transaction will ever occur.

- Always ask for more pictures. This way you know they actually have the gun in their possession.

- Always fill out a bill of sale, including the buyers and sellers ID number and/or LTCH information and signature. Then make sure both parties have a copy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

steif

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    I've met some shady looking characters from here as well, but it all worked out.
    Churchmouse and dodgg to name 2... :):

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    I called a Mexican dude in Texas that had a pistol I was looking for. Looked back through my lost auctions on GB and low and behold the pistol was the same.

I did call the guy and he was wanting me to send MoneyGram to his cousin. It got shady real quick.

He kept calling my number wanting to know if I sent MoneyGram. I told him I wasn't interested and then got cussed out.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I've run into scammers both as a buyer and seller it doesn't seem to matter. As others have said if it's too good to be true, probably a scam. Often the description of the gun is brief but once you start emailing with someone and it's obvious they don't speak English it's likely a red flag. I ask specific questions like what store will it be shipping from and ask for more pictures, if the responses are vague or cagey it's a scam. Local deals I haven't had any issues with either buying or selling but it is annoying when trying to sell something and scammers waste your time.

BrettonJudy7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    GREENFIELD
    Armslist is inundated with scammers. Fortunately you can spot 90% of them with a few red flags:

Anytime you see a price way too low you can assume it's fake. And its a scam if the info is obviously copy/pasted from gunbroker or manufacturers website.

00l0l_4n0DSPdjYCp_0bC0hV_1200x900.jpg

If they have something collectible at a price that may seem too good to be true...and an out of state area code, it's a scam.

00101_2jpKbpwLeHc_0bC0i0_1200x900.jpg

And another subtle red flag is if they have just registered to Armslist that same day and the location is "Indiana, Indiana" it's most definitely a scam.

00909_80m62bu4bxw_0bC0hT_1200x900.jpg

This right here ^^^^^ Amazing attention to detail.

BrettonJudy7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    GREENFIELD
    I have managed to stay away from Armslist. From all the horror stories I have heard, I just prefer to use GB, Sportsmans Guide, Ingo or LGS.
    Every so often I get on Armslist to check out prices and see if there is anything worth trying, but I typically get scared and end up leaving... :(

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Because I am not near Indy, the classifieds here can be hard, so I have used Armslist locally. I never had any issues but once again it has always been FTF during the day time.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Armslist ad (Indiana, Indiana) text me at (area code not in Indiana), ones like these, are out there everyday.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

And that member closed his ad.
    0 post count member from 2013. Possibly a site supporter at one time but never re-upped. There has been a Glitch in the system we have struggled with since the site server was moved to Texas. Seems like some bits and pieces did not make the cut and a few non-posting "X" supporters have slipped through the cracks.
    Once again people so ate up with wanting to or needing to sell something they do not care.
    On your own people.

Irukanji

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    SW Indiana
    I have heard sending the money via USPS and USPS money order means you can have a postal inspector get involved and they are serious about that sort of thing. You might check with the USPS to confirm this, but they helped me out on a guitar once.

Tough to throw the baby out with the bathwater on this one... sorry you had the experience though!

Thanks

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    If I can't find it at a local gun store, in person at a gun show, or via a FTF sale, I don't need it. Another one will come around eventually.

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    Armslist (Indiana, Indiana) text me at area code not in Indiana, ones are out there everyday.

In this day & age where everything is tied to a Phone Number ... some people will keep their Cellphone number when they move from State to State for employment ... i.e. I kept my Michigan cellphone (248) when I moved to Indiana - for a Job in Illinois

Some people have valid reasons

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I’ve had a lot of professional experience working fraud investigations. There is very little chance I’d ever deal with anyone on a nation-wide system like Armslist, Gunbroker, or Craigslist. I do some knife deals on Reddit, but it’s with the understanding that I’m willing to accept any losses. I can afford to lose $100 on a knife deal, but I’d be pretty mad about $1,000+.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I’ve had a lot of professional experience working fraud investigations. There is very little chance I’d ever deal with anyone on a nation-wide system like Armslist, Gunbroker, or Craigslist. I do some knife deals on Reddit, but it’s with the understanding that I’m willing to accept any losses. I can afford to lose $100 on a knife deal, but I’d be pretty mad about $1,000+.

I've used Gunbroker a few times without issue. Always to buy from a gun shop out of state, though, and not an individual.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I've lost track of the number of items I've bought and sold from Gunbroker over the years and have never had a real problem. I always do my due diligence in checking out sellers before I bid and use a credit card whenever possible. Frankly, my experience on Gunbroker has been far smoother with fewer issues than my experience in the classifieds here.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I've lost track of the number of items I've bought and sold from Gunbroker over the years and have never had a real problem. I always do my due diligence in checking out sellers before I bid and use a credit card whenever possible. Frankly, my experience on Gunbroker has been far smoother with fewer issues than my experience in the classifieds here.

I have never had an issue with GB either, and have used it multiple times.

Top Bottom