• ...and so much more!
  • ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    So today during lunch, I came across an interesting little story. It was about a pizzeria in Quebec that wanted to find out if pineapple belonged on pizza. He conducted a survey that got 5,000 responses. The results were roughly 53 percent against, and 47 percent for it. The pizzeria responded by taking their pineapple options off the menu and have banned the fruit for the foreseeable future.

My take away on this is that even though a pizzeria removing pineapple from the menu is nearly as trivial as it gets, this is a perfect example as to the problems of the 'Pure Democracy' system. Now I personally do not care for pineapple on pizza, but some people do. 47 percent voted for pineapple pizza, and I'm sure that pizza was someone's favorite pizza, but because of this system, the Majority told this 47 percent 'screw you, your pizza sucks, so nobody gets it now'. The article presented this as a fun little story, but I would be peeved if I liked that pizza, and they took it off the menu because 53 percent voted they didn't like it.

Something tells me the pizzeria did this to get publicity, but still it would be nice for people to decide for themselves what pizza they wanted instead of letting the majority decide what should be banned or not. Again, very trivial in the grand scheme of things, but does have some strong parallels to the political discourse of today. I'm not saying a republic is perfect, but at least we don't have the majority of our country voting pineapple pizzas to oblivion.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    On the flip side if 53% had said yes to pineapple, would they force every pizza to have pineapple?
    They could require people to undergo an in depth background check and training after which they could apply for a LTCPP (License To Consume Pineapple Pizza) and be able to order same

Personally, I think a mental competence check should be included also

Epoxyfun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2022
    New Albany
    I'm in the publicity camp. Either they were gonna cancel pineapple either way due to cost/shortage/whatever or they're gonna bring it back in a week.

As for the overarching implications, the US, as it was explained to me, is majority rule limited by minority rights. Ideally the majority can get what they want while respecting the right of the minority to do as they wish as long as it doesn't infringe on anyone else.

I've never tried pineapple on pizza, is it really that bad?

Top Bottom