• ...and so much more!
  • 2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    62   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I can say for certain i am not a hoarder, i very seldom sell ammo, I stocked up on ammo in the past as i shoot competition rifle, and shoot a lot of pistol, i also reload too for most everything i shoot. It has paid off for me to keep a good stock pile for me and my immediate family to be able to enjoy our hobby, as to the high price of ammo these days you have 2 main conglomerates making the ammo so they can pretty much dictate the prices you will pay if you want to shoot, and then we have our anti 2a dictator in office and his minions that want to take away your rights and will do it any way they can{stopping imports of amm and guns for one}

Shoot313

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 19, 2021
    Central Indiana
    They would be fools not to raise prices. It eliminated scalpers. They could not keep ammo on the shelves at old prices. I’m willing to bet you there are people that filled storage units up with ammo. Could u imagine how much money u could make currently selling off of old prices? P
    At the peak of shortage, Locally there was a pawn shop buying up all the RK and Dunhams ammo they could get their hands on. Then selling 9mm fmj for $80 a box.

Last edited:

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    With primers being 10 cents a piece, bullet being 14 cents, brass if new 35 cents, plus powder and your time, 39 cents per round is really not bad.
    Wow, that seems high.

I've been buying primers for 10 cents a piece, my brass is free range pickup (many K's collected now), .45acp 230gr bullets for 10 cents a piece plus W321 powder I got at $200/lb (5.2 gr = 3.7 cents)

That's costing me $23.7 cpr for .45acp.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    Wow, that seems high.

I've been buying primers for 10 cents a piece, my brass is free range pickup (many K's collected now), .45acp 230gr bullets for 10 cents a piece plus W321 powder I got at $200/lb (5.2 gr = 3.7 cents)

$200 a pound for powder?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I still get a little for others when I find it.

I picked up some 380 ACP for coworkers who could not find ball ammo for practice and a small amount of 380 defense.

I picked a box 12 gauge 2 shot lead and overpaid but I never see lead number 2 shot around here. A couple. 5 packs of number 4 buck but I have a gun that loves to shoot coyotes with it. All I overpaid for. I have a very good supply of 12 gauge so I did not need these.

Unfortunately until prices at least level out new ammo purchases will be limited.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    Wow, that seems high.

Your powder cost isn't as bad as stated

$200/8 lb x 1 lb/7000 grains x 5.2 grains = $0.0185 per load

We just saved you some money so now you can go out and buy more reloading stuff

airhog

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2021
    Lafayette
    Vista Outdoors and Olin (the two main ammo manufacturers in the U.S.) both announced that they would be raising their prices like 15 or 20% at the beginning of this month awhile back I believe. I know it was discussed here on INGO some time ago.

A recent article provides thoughtful commentary on the shortage:

On the other hand, we still see journalists reporting there is a significant ammo shortage, acting as spokespeople for those that engage in price gouging and perpetuating the hype. It isn't illegal and good for them, but not good for regular folks and 2A.

CTBay

Marksman
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 13, 2021
    Bedford
    A value pack or bulk pack is suppose to be a deal. Just a couple months ago that was under $25. With tax that’s .385 cpr.

I just got into it a few months ago. I never really got to enjoy pre pandemic ammo prices. I just no its a deal based on whats been available recently. It shot great, no trouble with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CTBay

Marksman
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 13, 2021
    Bedford
    They would be fools not to raise prices. It eliminated scalpers. They could not keep ammo on the shelves at old prices. I’m willing to bet you there are people that filled storage units up with ammo. Could u imagine how much money u could make currently selling off of old prices? P
    At the peak of shortage, Locally there was a pawn shop buying up all the RK and Dunhams ammo they could get their hands on. Then selling 9mm fmj for $80 a box.

We still have 2 local gun shops in Bedford buying up all the good deals. RK has been getting 100rd boxes of .380 but I haven’t been able to get one. They are now leaving the $20 9mm alone but there has been some $33 100rd boxes of Browning 9mm but they are gone same or next day. Any .45 at a reasonable price is gone same day. I guess the gun shops have customers that don’t go to rural king and are forking over $40-50 a box for 9mm. I wish they would quit buying it a remove the inventive for the gun store to buy it all. The clerks at RK confirm someone comes in and buys all of it but they don’t say who.

Back when there was no 9mm anywhere I paid $50 for a box from one of the shops. So while I didn’t SEE them buy it from rk they are at the very least gouging on what they do have.

The Venom boxes of 9mm are $20 for black friday (they were $23-24). I have been buying one every time I go in there and when theres no .380 or .45.

Shoot313

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 19, 2021
    Central Indiana
    We still have 2 local gun shops in Bedford buying up all the good deals. RK has been getting 100rd boxes of .380 but I haven’t been able to get one. They are now leaving the $20 9mm alone but there has been some $33 100rd boxes of Browning 9mm but they are gone same or next day. Any .45 at a reasonable price is gone same day. I guess the gun shops have customers that don’t go to rural king and are forking over $40-50 a box for 9mm. I wish they would quit buying it a remove the inventive for the gun store to buy it all. The clerks at RK confirm someone comes in and buys all of it but they don’t say who.

Back when there was no 9mm anywhere I paid $50 for a box from one of the shops. So while I didn’t SEE them buy it from rk they are at the very least gouging on what they do have.

The Venom boxes of 9mm are $20 for black friday (they were $23-24). I have been buying one every time I go in there and when theres no .380 or .45.
    Exactly! This what’s going on here also, and a lot of places. Some just aren’t making the connection or don’t realize they are buying RK and Dunhams’s ammo at their local gun store. I think that’s why Dunhams price labels EVERY box of theirs. The manager at my Dunhams said she seen the Dunhams labels still on the box at the local pawn shop. Then she went on to tell me how the scalpers and the hoarders have ruined the market, she said her and husband shoot and are gun owners..

tude

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    ohio
    I bought some Aguila 22 at RK today. 250@ 16.99. Strange that it was sitting beside Blazer milk cartons 200@ 33.95 and Norma 8.99 for 50

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I bought some Aguila 22 at RK today. 250@ 16.99. Strange that it was sitting beside Blazer milk cartons 200@ 33.95 and Norma 8.99 for 50
    I saw that and wondered WHY?? Bought 9 mm for 17.99 at the Fort Wayne rural king. Bought some for me and the boys. They had 4 brands. 9-.45-7.62-5.56 -9/.40 sintered rounds in stock and wolf OO buck

cz75b

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2018
    Michigan City
    looked around at Rural King and Dunhams today. If coming down means ammo is only twice what it was before and primers at $80/k (Cabelas this week)I think I’ll continue to wait.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    The last .38 spl I saw at a store was $1.10 a round. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought just a 'milk toast' round would cost that...

Top Bottom