• ...and so much more!
  • t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    I've never shot much of the Winchester "white box" handgun stuff, but there have been a bunch of posts on here over the past 9 years about how crappy it can be.
    And while I haven't bought both and pulled down rounds to compare, or shot both back to back over a chrono, I'm willing to bet a cold beer that the Browning stuff is simply WWB with a different case.....in your photo for more money......thus my grin!!
    I'll admit though, their buckmark logo on the headstamp IS kinda cool !!!

And another BTW, Winchester-Olin is also now making the Herters branded stuff for Bass Pro/Cabelas instead of S&B.

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I've never shot much of the Winchester "white box" handgun stuff, but there have been a bunch of posts on here over the past 9 years about how crappy it can be.
    And while I haven't bought both and pulled down rounds to compare, or shot both back to back over a chrono, I'm willing to bet a cold beer that the Browning stuff is simply WWB with a different case.....in your photo for more money......thus my grin!!

And another BTW, Winchester-Olin is also now making the Herters branded stuff for Bass Pro/Cabelas instead of S&B.
    I believe it is the same manufacturer since it was also recalled recently when Winchester ammo was... https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2021/06/24/recall-winchester-browning-9mm/

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Any tips on Indy-area stores where I have a decent shot at finding el cheapo-tier 12ga birdshot? Wally World Estate brand used to be my go-to for cheap blasting ammo but I haven't seen ammo on a Walmart shelf in a year.

CTBay

Marksman
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 13, 2021
    Bedford

A whole box didn’t miss a beat. Did 26 out of my Hellcat and then 74 out of my P320 and zero issues. Last week I was able to hit the 30yd steel target 11 times in a row. I only got to about 4 in a row this week. Not sure if it was me or the ammo. I had my typical group at 10yd.

At $16-17 a box I will buy it over $25 boxes again and again. It was gone the next day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    22LR seems to have stabilized around $0.10/rd. at least for what im shooting. availability fluctuates a little. ive been ordering most of what im buying.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    So Winchester makes browning ammunition?
    Most Browning ammo is made by Winchester. Some of the Browning products are Browning designs, but made for them by Winchester (Olin). Other products, like the 9mm FMJ in the recall, is the same stuff just with a different headstamp and in different packaging. The primary difference in the production is a different headstamp bunter, or even just a different bunter segment (if using a multi segment bunter arrangement). Same deal with the current production Herters 9mm FMJ also made by Winchester (Olin).

In these modern times of EDM and laser metalworking, a custom headstamp bunter or bunter segment is much quicker and easier than it was 30 or more years ago when a professional tool & die maker had to use tiny end mills or other burring tools to make a master die, followed by a few "hobbing" bunters, and finally the numerous "working" bunters that were used on the actual production lines. Much easier nowadays to give the illusion of being a boutique manufacturer/brand.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Most Browning ammo is made by Winchester. Some of the Browning products are Browning designs, but made for them by Winchester (Olin). Other products, like the 9mm FMJ in the recall, is the same stuff just with a different headstamp and in different packaging. The primary difference in the production is a different headstamp bunter, or even just a different bunter segment (if using a multi segment bunter arrangement). Same deal with the current production Herters 9mm FMJ also made by Winchester (Olin).

In these modern times of EDM and laser metalworking, a custom headstamp bunter or bunter segment is much quicker and easier than it was 30 or more years ago when a professional tool & die maker had to use tiny end mills or other burring tools to make a master die, followed by a few "hobbing" bunters, and finally the numerous "working" bunters that were used on the actual production lines. Much easier nowadays to give the illusion of being a boutique manufacturer/brand.
    This is interesting. Who makes sig ammunition? I know the V-CROWN HP is a Sierra bullet, but who makes their ammunition?

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    This is interesting. Who makes sig ammunition? I know the V-CROWN HP is a Sierra bullet, but who makes their ammunition?
    Sig makes their own stuff.

CTBay

Marksman
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 13, 2021
    Bedford
    Sig makes their own stuff.

USCCA put a Sig factory tour on YouTube. Its pretty cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    If your into reloading that Sig V Crown bullet has been available in handgun calibers for reloads thru this whole shortage. I bought a box of 500 124g 9mm for about 129. They work great in everything I own.A little pricy but its a great round.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    I used to have a Glock 42, and Winchester WB ammo seemed to cycle ok in it, but wasn't very accurate. The spent cases would have a powder burn stain around the mouth. I read somewhere that it was the result of the brass being loaded to a low pressure that didn't expand quite enough to seal in the chamber.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Have to admit, at least from my experience, I have been having pretty good luck with the Browning ammo so far...for at least the last year or two. Maybe I'm getting lucky.
    Not too surprising. It's quality control that is missing, so most batches are "ok", some are borderline functional and dirty (like ancjr above), and some are dangerous to the point they have to have a recall (like is currently underway for several lots of WWB/Browning/Herter's). Making something that is consistently good for all users, for years on end, takes more QA/QC effort and earns your company/brand a better reputation.

Top Bottom