• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Base metals and chemicals cost continue to rise.
    I seriously doubt we're going to see pre covid prices ever again.
    Not necessarily. I see it at work all the time. Steel prices for example go up and down. Unfortunately what doesn't come down is handling costs like when they add things like fuel surcharges and then never remove them even if the price of fuel goes down.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    Not necessarily. I see it at work all the time. Steel prices for example go up and down. Unfortunately what doesn't come down is handling costs like when they add things like fuel surcharges and then never remove them even if the price of fuel goes down.
    While I agree prices fluctuate, the trend is higher. Here's the copper future chart. historical-chart-copper-prices.png

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    All it will take is legislation or EO stopping importation of ammo and components and see what happens. He can do this on his own. This does not factor in another "summer of peaceful protests" that are likely when the fringe groups realize they have been had.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    People tend to not riot when justice is served, so let's hope justice is served.

With the way the manufacturers seem to be ramping up production and investing in further production equipment, I would have said that we'd reach some semblance of normalization within a year, but then you have things like the Evergreen, which only further causes problems with a supply chain still pinched by the pandemic.
    Oh, and you, all wise one, have determined what is justice?

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    Have noticed most reloading supplies are rising, posted primer prices are 25% higher, bullet prices are higher, and powder is on the rise too. Though powder and primers are almost nonexistent at retailers at this time though.
    I recently bought powder online and it was priced at $25-$30 per pound. By the time I paid the shipping and haz mat fees, my cost was approaching $45/lb. It's my penalty for not being prepared, something that won't happen to me again once this current mess is in the past.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I recently bought powder online and it was priced at $25-$30 per pound. By the time I paid the shipping and haz mat fees, my cost was approaching $45/lb. It's my penalty for not being prepared, something that won't happen to me again once this current mess is in the past.
    I'm glad you have faith "this current mess" will be "in the past" but why do you believe this will end? What do you see or believe that this is just a bad patch and not the real thing?

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Winchester and Browning announced new price hikes yesterday.

2019 prices are never coming back in our lifetimes, especially once we get reamed by an EO banning all ammo imports. No matter how elections turn out, import ban EOs never get removed.

IMO we will be lucky if current prices stabilize as the new normal and ammo becomes at least partially available, plus inflation is already happening and will get worse with every trillion-dollar spending spree bill. It's been over a year now, this isn't going away. Get used to spending 4x more per trigger pull.

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NE of Indy
    Just stopped by Muncie Rural King at 9am. They had 3) Winchester 200 round 62gr green tip 5.56 for $99.99. (Limit 1) Beats the $179.99 for the same box two weeks ago at Dunham’s.
    They also had almost a case of 20 round boxes of American Eagle 223 for $8.99. (Limit 2)

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Local store had Federal bulk 22lr in 525 or 550 box for $110 and Federal Lightning 22lr for $12.99 per box. I did find some Winchester Hi-vel at the local Wal Mart a few weeks ago for $8.63 per 100 round box and bought the limit of 3 boxes.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I'm glad you have faith "this current mess" will be "in the past" but why do you believe this will end? What do you see or believe that this is just a bad patch and not the real thing?
    The question was asked so let me answer it.

My comment was in regards to the state of ammunition supply and pricing. I have been through this several times and this is the worst. It is demand driven and I believe it will eventually abate because this rate of demand is unsustainable. We may not see pre-pandemic pricing again but I think long term price increases will be more modest than some are predicting. Ammo manufacturers will seek to maintain their margins but they won’t be stupid about it. Material supply costs and the end market will be the ultimate drivers. This viewpoint is shaped by 30 years in a manufacturing segment which is driven by commodities pricing, supply and demand.

Here is my broader take on things. No doubt some will disagree with me. Democrats are determined to reinvent our country and our society. That’s not new, they are just more emboldened at the moment. However, the political reality is that their majority is precarious and they know that a majority of Americans do not support all of their ideas. They will ask big knowing that they are likely to achieve only a fraction of it. We stand to lose ground on some key issues over the next two years. But I believe Americans will reject the current Dem agenda at the next election and we will regain enough power to ensure a few more years of gridlock in Washington. At this point, gridlock is about the best I can hope for.

Our society has been on a slow trip to a bad place for decades. What is unknown is how long it will take to get there. And then, who defines when we have arrived? Every so often, things get hot and many predict that it is the beginning of the end. In reality, didn’t beginning of the end start a long long time ago?

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    Heard a rumor that Bass Pro / Cabelas ammo pricing contract is up in May, if true a lot of people are going to lose their minds if they hike their prices up to what everyone else is charging (at least 50-55 cents per round for 9mm and close to $1 per round for 223/556)

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I've gotten a few emails the last few days ammo prices has dropped some but still imo way to high. So maybe we are seeing a slow down on consumer demand or the factories are gaining some ground or both.

Even when prices come down lead is still higher than normal so I'm going to say prices will still be higher than 2019 even when they do catch up.

Thank you Democrats.

Loganwildman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 29, 2012
    Logansport
    Exactly. The fuel surcharge was added in the early '70's during the oil embargo, but I don't recall local trucking companies adding it onto my bill for a load of stone until 12 years ago when fuel again jumped exponentially. Since then, it didn't drop off because they didn't have to. This happened in alot of areas.

tude

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    ohio
    Just stopped by Muncie Rural King at 9am. They had 3) Winchester 200 round 62gr green tip 5.56 for $99.99. (Limit 1) Beats the $179.99 for the same box two weeks ago at Dunham’s.
    They also had almost a case of 20 round boxes of American Eagle 223 for $8.99. (Limit 2)
    Today 4/7 here in southern Ohio, Rural King had the same 556 for $119.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Incoming nonsense: Executive orders aimed at gun control going to be announced tomorrow (Thursday April 8th)

Preliminary reporting so far doesn't seem to indicate anything on the ammo front, mainly going after 80%s and braces.

Top Bottom