• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhslover

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 6, 2012
    So back in December of 21 I purchased a suppressor from Silencer Shop using the Kiosk at American Arms and selecting them as the dealer. 12/6/21 my tax stamp check was cashed and I settled in for the wait. Dec 8 of 22 I finally call the ATF wondering if I'd been denied or something. They say that I was approved Oct 20. I call American arms to ask about it, they kind of act like they don't know what I'm talking about until I say I just got off the phone with ATF and it was approved at which point they find it in about 10 seconds, and say that I can pick it up tomorrow. I go down the next day, and ask about my suppressor (after being ignored in an otherwise empty store). The guy gives me some attitude "did I call you?" No... "well I don't have your tax stamp" without even asking my name. I explain again that I'd called the ATF and sure enough, he finds it in just a few seconds. No apology about not calling me no nothing just here's your package. Not a great way to do business. I'd been in the store in Bloomington a couple times and was either treated with mild hostility or ignored. Not going back, ever.

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    I don't believe that Bloomington's A.Arms has an indoor range.
    They have relocated to Lawrence county and do have an indoor range. My understanding is the Bloomington location is closed or closing ? The dbaggery they exude was legendary in Bloomington. I have no reason to think that wouldn’t continue. As evidenced above.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    They have relocated to Lawrence county and do have an indoor range. My understanding is the Bloomington location is closed or closing ? The dbaggery they exude was legendary in Bloomington. I have no reason to think that wouldn’t continue. As evidenced above.
    Gotta get out from under my rock a little more.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    They seem pretty full of themselves on their FB posts. No negative feedback that I saw, unlike my local LGS's here in LAF, that get a share of criticism...

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    335   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Unfortunately, most gun shops are good ol' boys establishments. Many times I've walked out with cash in my pocket because they were more interested in talking trash with the regulars than helping sell products to people they don't immediately recognize.

It's unfortunate, and I hope it's a climate that changes. It's especially off-putting for first time buyers, and it's surprising that so many shops still act like that despite reading posts like this.

I'm sorry you had that experience, but it's rampant in many (thankfully not all) LGS's these days. Tack on the fact that many workers don't understand NFA sales and it can make it worse.

Last edited:

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Unfortunately, most gun shops are good ol' boys establishments. Many times I've walked out with cash in my pocket because they were more interested in talking trash with the regulars than helping sell products to people they don't immediately recognize.

It's unfortunate, and I hope it's a climate that changes. It's especially off-putting for first time buyers, and it's surprising that so many shops still act like that despite reading posts like this.

I'm sorry you had that experience, but it's rampant in many (thankfully not all) LGS's these days. Tack on the fact that many workers don't understand NFA sales and it can make it worse.
    That rings true. In some of these places, I get the vibe that the owner must have good insurance from his wife's job at the hospital, because if it weren't for his "town buddies" buying guns from him, there would probably be little left to keep the lights on.

If Congress quit having "gun scares" every 10 years or so, a lot of these places would probably cease to exist.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    These guys have been the subject of at least a couple threads over the years. None of them exuded any praise on the establishment.

The move to the large indoor gun range and shop will probably be the death of them.

It's one thing to pay for a crummy building that used to make cultured marble countertops and be able to have enough cash flow to keep the 6 lightbulbs on. It's another to pay for that much land, the brand new building, utilities, extra insurance costs, etc. Not to mention that they are now a hike from any kind of population base.

They will need more than their "good ole boys" to survive.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I’ve been to the indoor range a few times and always had a good experience. Nice facility.

No idea about the gun shop side of the operation.

tscherry70

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 7, 2021
    Bedford
    I want to give them a chance since they are vet owned/operated; however, I'm still waiting on them to call me for an FFL transfer. It's been in their new store/range for over a week and I still haven't had someone call me to notify me it's ready for pick up. I've never had a problem with transfers in the past with other LGS. I called ahead and asked if I can come down and do the transfer, the response was that they need to call me first. Ok.

Contacted the owner, Matt (the guy in the video) just to confirm it's in their possession and it didn't go for a walk-a-bout. He said, he remembered seeing it, but just gave me excuses about they sometimes have problems with people's numbers, voice mail etc. I gave him my number and said to call me when they're ready for me to come get it.

We'll see what happens next week. I'm not sure what to do if they never call and keep sitting on it. Any thoughts?

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I want to give them a chance since they are vet owned/operated; however, I'm still waiting on them to call me for an FFL transfer. It's been in their new store/range for over a week and I still haven't had someone call me to notify me it's ready for pick up. I've never had a problem with transfers in the past with other LGS. I called ahead and asked if I can come down and do the transfer, the response was that they need to call me first. Ok.

Contacted the owner, Matt (the guy in the video) just to confirm it's in their possession and it didn't go for a walk-a-bout. He said, he remembered seeing it, but just gave me excuses about they sometimes have problems with people's numbers, voice mail etc. I gave him my number and said to call me when they're ready for me to come get it.

We'll see what happens next week. I'm not sure what to do if they never call and keep sitting on it. Any thoughts?
    I would call them. Inform them your transfer is there and you will be in today to pick it up. If they give you any static let them know you are a member of a much larger group without naming names and you will make sure you let everyone know the crappy experience you have had. I know what its like to order something and count down the wait until you get your shinny new widget and they act like they just don't care. Then find a new LGS

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    So back in December of 21 I purchased a suppressor from Silencer Shop using the Kiosk at American Arms and selecting them as the dealer. 12/6/21 my tax stamp check was cashed and I settled in for the wait. Dec 8 of 22 I finally call the ATF wondering if I'd been denied or something. They say that I was approved Oct 20. I call American arms to ask about it, they kind of act like they don't know what I'm talking about until I say I just got off the phone with ATF and it was approved at which point they find it in about 10 seconds, and say that I can pick it up tomorrow. I go down the next day, and ask about my suppressor (after being ignored in an otherwise empty store). The guy gives me some attitude "did I call you?" No... "well I don't have your tax stamp" without even asking my name. I explain again that I'd called the ATF and sure enough, he finds it in just a few seconds. No apology about not calling me no nothing just here's your package. Not a great way to do business. I'd been in the store in Bloomington a couple times and was either treated with mild hostility or ignored. Not going back, ever.
    I see his attitude hasn't changed. Dunno how he hopes to keep an indoor (like, why?) range open in Lawrence County with the way he keeps treating people.

tscherry70

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 7, 2021
    Bedford
    I finally got the transfer done, but I had to call them 3 times and send 4 emails. My last call to them, a nice gal answered and went looking for it for me, then said I can come get it when she found it. When I went there on Saturday, they were extremely busy, but waited my turn and got it done. Transfer cost $31.

It's a nice range, but I will not do another transfer through them.

Top Bottom