Am I over reacting? Or did I dodge a bullet?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Man, all this talk about rest stops being the epitome of danger!
    In over a million miles of highway roadtrips and a few hundred nights sleeping in my car in rest stops around the country I have never had a sketchy encounter in one.
    Urban quick marts, a couple of times. Out in the woods a couple of times, and once when the drunk driver who hit me got mad when I was calling the cops, but no rest stops yet.

Until now I was just assuming that I don't get out enough to have the issue. Normally when I pull into a rest stop I'm one of, maybe, 5 vehicles there and then the trucks are off in the truck spaces doing whatever stuff they do. I'm not sure I've ever even seen anything to make me question a rest stop..?

I've never slept in one or anything though. Pull in, do what I came to do, and on my way.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Until now I was just assuming that I don't get out enough to have the issue. Normally when I pull into a rest stop I'm one of, maybe, 5 vehicles there and then the trucks are off in the truck spaces doing whatever stuff they do. I'm not sure I've ever even seen anything to make me question a rest stop..?

I've never slept in one or anything though. Pull in, do what I came to do, and on my way.
    Me either. I've tried a few times. I just never could feel safe enough to doze, even with the doors locked. I eventually give up after 20 minutes and chalk up the attempt at a nice rest break.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    As long as what I do isn't illegal, they can Karen about it all they want. I'm unlikely to be one of the viral cases of people using ethnic slurs or other questionable behaviors during the exchange.

Walking up to that situation with my hand on my holstered, conspicuous, firearm and a "Can I help you with anything?" is a chance I'm willing to take in the court of social media. If I get it so badly wrong that I have to explain myself in a real court, it's still better than the alternative.
    All they have to do is "say" you pulled your gun. It's their word against yours.

They don't even have to stick around to report the "man pulled gun." Call 911, report scary man waving gun around, with your description and license plate number. "We left to avoid getting shot. He looked crazy."

At the very least, things will likely get busy for you for a bit. Especially if you are out of state "intimidating" people with your gun. :dunno:

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    All they have to do is "say" you pulled your gun. It's their word against yours.

They don't even have to stick around to report the "man pulled gun." Call 911, report scary man waving gun around, with your description and license plate number. "We left to avoid getting shot. He looked crazy."

At the very least, things will likely get busy for you for a bit. Especially if you are out of state "intimidating" people with your gun. :dunno:

I hear you, and that's a valid concern, but I see it as more and more unlikely to happen in today's society with security cams everywhere.

Plus, I can't help but to think if they're going to lie... maybe they're going to lie anyhow?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I was taught to stare with a blank expression at crazy people by a slightly less crazy person.

Yup. Not everyone can pull it off, but it works great. Completely denying someone any social interaction or feedback makes people *very* uncomfortable and is not a threat in the slightest. Staring at the bridge of the nose makes it look like eye contact but doesn't create the same tension in your mind as it does in their mind. I've had panhandlers duck their head, apologize, and move on. Most panhandlers are just that and making it clear you're not an easy mark, or maybe crazier than they are, and off the trundle to the next mark. They are not looking for violence, they are looking to irritate or intimidate, but not actual violence.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Yup. Not everyone can pull it off, but it works great. Completely denying someone any social interaction or feedback makes people *very* uncomfortable and is not a threat in the slightest. Staring at the bridge of the nose makes it look like eye contact but doesn't create the same tension in your mind as it does in their mind. I've had panhandlers duck their head, apologize, and move on. Most panhandlers are just that and making it clear you're not an easy mark, or maybe crazier than they are, and off the trundle to the next mark. They are not looking for violence, they are looking to irritate or intimidate, but not actual violence.
    stare04.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I hear you, and that's a valid concern, but I see it as more and more unlikely to happen in today's society with security cams everywhere.

Plus, I can't help but to think if they're going to lie... maybe they're going to lie anyhow?
    They are not likely to make up anything about you having a gun, unless you show them you do.

I'm not at all against putting hand on gun. As a matter of fact, it's my go to, but I'll be bladed away from them vs showing them what I'm doing. Their focus will be on my weak hand pointing at them as I tell them "I'm sorry, I cannot help you."

The potential threat might have to be told aggressively more than once, but they always back down, because they realize they are being exposed. If they don't back down, you know you are dealing with a threat of some sort.

If you are really on your game about being approached, you'll have your Surefire in your weak hand to light up the threat in the night. Or your Palm pepper spray, in the daylight.

Last edited:

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    They are not likely to make up anything about you having a gun, unless you show them you do.

I'm not at all against putting hand on gun. As a matter of fact, it's my go to, but I'll be bladed away from them vs showing them what I'm doing. Their focus will be on my weak hand pointing at them as I tell them "I'm sorry, I cannot help you."

The potential threat might have to be told aggressively more than once, but they always back down, because they realize they are being exposed. If they don't back down, you know you are dealing with a threat of some sort.

If you are really on your game about being approached, you'll have your Surefire in your weak hand to light up the threat in the night. Or your Palm pepper spray, in the daylight.

I thought the question here was how to bring the gun into it? If you're blading away you're expressly keeping the gun out of it.

Not saying either approach is right or wrong, but they are different approaches.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I thought the question here was how to bring the gun into it? If you're blading away you're expressly keeping the gun out of it.

Not saying either approach is right or wrong, but they are different approaches.
    Absolutely correct.

That's what I do. I don't want the gun brought into the situation until it's needed.

I'm open for listening to when it's best to use the gun for intimidation though. I just have yet to see it. :dunno:

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Absolutely correct.

That's what I do. I don't want the gun brought into the situation until it's needed.

I'm open for listening to when it's best to use the gun for intimidation though. I just have yet to see it. :dunno:

OK... Showing clearly that I have one works for me. Guess that's all I've got. :ingo:

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    . Their focus will be on my weak hand pointing at them as I tell them "I'm sorry, I cannot help you."
    I’m trying to mentally draw a picture of this, but I can’t. Do you always point at people when you tell them sorry? ;)

I don’t really have anything to add here that hasn’t been covered. We all have our training and opinions how certain things will play out, but until it’s in the moment what we say and plan don’t mean ****. I carry chambered and don’t go for it unless I feel i absolutely have no other choice. It’s not my “deterrent” per se, it’s my last resort. Depending on where I am depends on my plan. In wal mart, depends where the shots are in relation to where I am. If they’re in back I’m heading for front doors. If they’re in front I’m heading to lay a way and out the shipping doors or tire department. In my car I’m hitting the gas. At my home, well, you’d have to be a ****ing idiot to try that. I don’t waste a split second racking the slide, or pulling at a low ready to show them, or revealing my concealment to them.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I have had strangers comment on my SUV and that they thought it was cool. They have never blocked me in to tell me that. It is always been in passing. Blocking the front of the car is a big red flag. Predators looking for an easy target would be my guess. Glad they moved on when confronted. One more defensive use of a handgun that didn't lead to a shooting. Presence of a gun prevented the crime and possible violence to you.

BHOWPE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    We’re either of the two vehicles playing banjo music on their stereos? If so you may have dodged a fate worse than losing your vehicle.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I took a 10 day car trip south at the beginning of the month. Just me.

Careful to observe all local gun laws as best as I could google them. And I think I did pretty well.
    Left my pistol in the car in VA since the rest stops had signs.
    Was unsure in WVA, and that's where things got interesting.

Left my pistol in my door pocket in a premium SUV. Went inside and did the bio break and came back with a bag of food and drink.
    Since it is a premium SUV, I parked a bit away from the crowd. And when I walked to the car, noticed that someone was maneuvering to back up bumper to bumper with my tailgate. A little odd.

Walked past the front of my car and hit the remote. Put my food and drinks in the passenger seat and walked behind my car and the one butted up behind me to get a good view of what was going on. Just enough room. But I wasn't going to back out of the lot. No Spidey sense going off yet.

Walk to driver's door and open it. And here's where things get odd in retrospect.

A KIA Soul (purple/blue) pulls in front of my vehicle and stops - drivers door is facing me 3/4 in front of my parking space. Effectively blocking my exit from my parking space. (and the car behind me that is backed in?)

Late 20's guy gets out of the KIA on the far (passenger) side and walks behind the KIA to the front of my SUV.

I'm doing a press check on my pistol, standing at the driver's door, as he looks at me ands say's, "Sir, this is a REALLY BEAUTIFUL automobile you are driving today".

I never press check. I always have a round in the chamber. But I didn't this time.

So I rack the slide. And I'm beginning to worry.

And holster my pistol.

And look up to answer him. And he is gone. The KIA is gone.

And the car blocking me from behind is leaving.

And I think I got very lucky.
    Glad it didn't turn out badly for you.

You mentioned that you googled the laws of each jurisdiction before going, and that research is important.

If you're not already familiar with the site, I highly recommend handgunlaw.us as a starting point for such research. They have good info for each state, do a great job linking to source information for the conclusions they draw (state code, AG opinions, court cases, etc.), and work to keep the info up to date.

It's my go to every time I leave Indiana, even if I've been somewhere before, as a refresher is always good.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Me either. I've tried a few times. I just never could feel safe enough to doze, even with the doors locked. I eventually give up after 20 minutes and chalk up the attempt at a nice rest break.
    The Mrs. and I had our best night sleep ever in the back of a cargo van in a rest stop in Iowa on the way back from Montana.

The fact that we had our 120 pound Malamute with us on the trip may have given us a bit of comfort, though.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The Mrs. and I had our best night sleep ever in the back of a cargo van in a rest stop in Iowa on the way back from Montana.

The fact that we had our 120 pound Malamute with us on the trip may have given us a bit of comfort, though.
    Furry overwatch would help.

I think being in a fishbowl had a LOT to do with it. I might have been able to do it in the back of a camper away from prying eyes, and more secure.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Yep, you were about to get robbed. Was this in broad daylight?
    Premium vehicle often means nicer stuff possibly inside...and thieves hate alert, aware, and prepared individuals!
    The fact that you were aware of them, and not crouching in fear, probably sent a message they didn't want to receive.
    Letting others know that you are aware of their presence, and that you are not necessarily 'afraid' of them....can go a long
    way towards thwarting their intended activities!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom