Always check your stockpiles CAREFULLY...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    ...ESPECIALLY when it’s stuff you acquire from a pickup pile.
    several years ago I grabbed some spare earbuds from work. They were wrapped neatly in plastic and I didn’t give it a second thought. They were in a long-standing pile of spares, not to be issued and were free for the taking. So I tucked them away in a travel bag of spares.

fast forward to today. I didn’t realize how long-standing that pile was. I went to use them as spares and discovered the hard way they were no regular pair of earbuds. They were old school BlackBerry earbuds. 2.5mm instead of today’s 3.5mm standard. Sonofa....

at least there was a Meijer across the street from the hotel so I was able to go buy another pair.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    Batteries, always check items that take batteries. Unless they are going to get used on a trip or a weekend, DO NOT LEAVE batteries in illuminated scopes range finders, flash lights, etc.

Luckily, the only thing I've ruined was a couple of cheap intrinsic flashlights from work over the years. Energizers seem to be the worse.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    Oh, and NEVER EVER store batteries with rappelling, caving, or climbing rope. Battery acid is the silent killer of nylon. If it gets in the fibers, may not notice the damage until the rope is under load or stress.

I heard that story along time ago, while rappelling on a rock face, getting ready for a caving trip in southern Kentucky.

"It's not the fall that kills you......it's that sudden STOP!!"

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Batteries, always check items that take batteries. Unless they are going to get used on a trip or a weekend, DO NOT LEAVE batteries in illuminated scopes range finders, flash lights, etc.

Luckily, the only thing I've ruined was a couple of cheap intrinsic flashlights from work over the years. Energizers seem to be the worse.
    And to add a little to this idea:

Cheap house brand batteries arent worth the savings for prepping. You are quite literally throwing money away and endangering your safety. (no hyperbole) I found that cheap batteries in the package are often dead after 12-18 months in the go bag.

Pay the extra and go Duracell. Im on the 2nd year in storage and when tested have barely dropped in voltage. I've actually sworn off all cheap batteries. (except for the wife's xmas decorations. And those I just pitch after using them for a season.)

And I too have ruined a handful of flashlights in my go bag this way. The only difference between the cheap batteries in the box and in the flashlight is the ones in the box were just dead; the ones in the devices were dead AND oozing. :xmad:

So I typically dont store my devices with batteries. I'll have a set of batteries stored with the light so I can quickly load it up and then use that if necessary to load the other devices up.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal

You don’t leave batteries in your illuminated scopes or flashlights? All of my WML, pocket light, and go to weapons with illuminated reticle are always batteries in. My RMRs are constantly turned on for every weapon system.

Truly no offense meant, but it might be a quality of product issue.

Slonsteady

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2016
    Plainfield
    If you are still using alkaline batteries for anything you are making the mistake of your life. Only use lithium primaries, or Li-ion rechargeable s. Another good battery are the Sony eniloops rechargeable batteries 1.4 v. Carbon cells are better than alkaline sorry to say. I consider my self educated on the matter as I build my own flashlights and construct battery packs when necessary. Abandon alkaline-leaks, or be un-prepered.

Top Bottom