• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Thought I was sort of a genius with the skinny table. Then one of my friends said, what happens if someone sets a drink on it and it spills?

:whistle:

Wish I had thought of that.

Fortunately Amazon came to the rescue with a portable GFI outlet. That should solve the problem. Since my daughter lives in a rental, and since she will probably move when the lease is over, I really don't want to rewire her outlet. Portable GFI plug solves the problem.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    That came up on my YouTube feed the other day. Watched it. That workshop was the second most significant workshop in my woodworker development. The first was in the creaky old barn across the drive from my house growing up.
    I fondly remember getting up and watching The New Yankee Workshop with my dad, we always envied that shop!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Well, that explains why i had a NYW video pop up on my feed the other day. Like others said, Norm was an inspiration to me too. NYW was probably my favorite show for a long time. At the time, there wasn’t much else there like it. He actually spent the time to show you the techniques and skills needed to complete the projects. It was “educational” tv.

Lpherr

Occupied
    Well, that explains why i had a NYW video pop up on my feed the other day. Like others said, Norm was an inspiration to me too. NYW was probably my favorite show for a long time. At the time, there wasn’t much else there like it. He actually spent the time to show you the techniques and skills needed to complete the projects. It was “educational” tv.
    David Marks (Woodworks) was another technical woodworker. He would show the steps and gave explanations.
    I learned a lot from him as well.

Lpherr

Occupied
    Those look like something a hobby CNC would knock out pretty quickly. Depending on the file type, I might be able to show you what the program would look like. (I would offer the CNC work, but it's in the garage and it isn't as accurate in the colder months)

-S
    Yeah, my 5'x5' might be able to handle them. It's a tight fit on the table though.
    I don't knock them out pretty quickly. To retain the detail, it requires the correct tool, set-up, and time.

I'm curious to see your rendering. Maybe yours is better. :thumbsup:
    What machine do you run?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I learned a lot of techniques from Norm. As a teenager, I then executed them on the tools my Dad had...which was interesting. I still have both arms and hands, but we used to use a radial arm saw turned so the blade was parallel to the fence to rip boards, meaning that the entire blade was above the table rather than just a small portion sticking up through it like a table saw.

The first stationary tool I bought when I was on my own was a table saw. However, I still have that old cast-iron radial arm saw.

Lpherr

Occupied
    I learned a lot of techniques from Norm. As a teenager, I then executed them on the tools my Dad had...which was interesting. I still have both arms and hands, but we used to use a radial arm saw turned so the blade was parallel to the fence to rip boards, meaning that the entire blade was above the table rather than just a small portion sticking up through it like a table saw.

The first stationary tool I bought when I was on my own was a table saw. However, I still have that old cast-iron radial arm saw.
    We also ripped with the radial arm, but we had a planing blade and molding head for it too. Talk about sketchy.

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    We also ripped with the radial arm, but we had a planing blade and molding head for it too. Talk about sketchy.
    OMG! I had a Craftsman radial arm saw with the planing attachment and molding head. I think I tried it once and never used it again until I got a table saw. It was the only stationary power tool I had for many years and did some nice work with it but…

Lpherr

Occupied
    OMG! I had a Craftsman radial arm saw with the planing attachment and molding head. I think I tried it once and never used it again until I got a table saw. It was the only stationary power tool I had for many years and did some nice work with it but…
    Being a kid, I couldn't convince my parents that I needed machines, so I had to make due. I had a lot of jigs, push sticks, sleds, and other misc. fixtures to stay as safe as possible when using those heads. I didn't use them often, but there were times. Now I have dedicated equipment. I got older and got smarter.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    My old Craftsman radial arm saw can be seen in this pic from earlier in the thread. I looked up the serial number. It was made in 1968. My Dad bought it to fix up the old farmhouse we lived in. I know there are sliding miter saws, but for me, nothing crosscuts like this old saw. It cut every one of the 150+ boards that cover the walls in the basement and the stair treads that lead to it.

1674846143383.png

Top Bottom