• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    And let me tell you, sitting in the hammock by the fire is the best camp chair there is after a day of 5,000 feet of elevation gain.

I'm a big fan of a hammock. I'm more of a backpacker than a bushcrafter, and I like to get a goods night rest after a long day. Lately though I have to admit I'm getting back into ground sleeping after buying a Nemo Tensor. It's nice to be able to stretch out after a long day too.

These are pictures from my last shooting competition. We used a 10x10 tarp in a plow point, individual bivys, air pads, and we had plenty of room for us and all our gear under that tarp.

FYI, I used the 5 minute tarp shelter knots from Canterbury's basic class to set this up. I use the bowline, truckers hitch, and half hitch on just about everything I do anymore.

Attachments

• 20220107_174213.jpg
      20220107_174213.jpg
      1.2 MB · Views: 14
    • 20220108_180426.jpg
      20220108_180426.jpg
      431.4 KB · Views: 14

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    And here I thought from the title you'd be pimping this site...

Really good place to interact for "all things bushcrafting"

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    And here I thought from the title you'd be pimping this site...

Really good place to interact for "all things bushcrafting"
    Agreed.

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    I know I should work on simple fire lays / firestarting, and six or so basic knots. And backpack hiking w/ at least 40lbs on my back. I really hope to do some camping this summer and figure out what gear works and how to minimize the load.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I used to long distance hike with lightweight (for it’s time) equipment. Now it is more off-road vehicle camping. That makes bringing things like axes and lanterns ect much easier.

All transportation eventuality breaks down to walking on foot. When needed I have the old deer cart to haul items.

I do like to go where true bushcraft can practiced and where cell phones don’t reach. Just like my personal /vacation time to be a little more comfortable than pure bushcraft. Still practice the skills.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I used to long distance hike with lightweight (for it’s time) equipment. Now it is more off-road vehicle camping. That makes bringing things like axes and lanterns ect much easier.

All transportation eventuality breaks down to walking on foot. When needed I have the old deer cart to haul items.

I do like to go where true bushcraft can practiced and where cell phones don’t reach. Just like my personal /vacation time to be a little more comfortable than pure bushcraft. Still practice the skills.
    I'd love to hear of places where you can do true bushcraft. It's hard to find national parks that'll allow a campfire at night outside of designated areas or leaving any kind of a sign or trace you were there.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I'd love to hear of places where you can do true bushcraft. It's hard to find national parks that'll allow a campfire at night outside of designated areas or leaving any kind of a sign or trace you were there.
    Well, the first error is looking at National Parks. You want bushcrafting areas try National Forests, State Forests, BLM lands, etc. National Parks and Monuments are really into preservation and education/interpretation.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Well, the first error is looking at National Parks. You want bushcrafting areas try National Forests, State Forests, BLM lands, etc. National Parks and Monuments are really into preservation and education/interpretation.
    The only place I'm aware of that's a place like what you're talking about is the Charles Deam Wilderness near Bloomington.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    The only place I'm aware of that's a place like what you're talking about is the Charles Deam Wilderness near Bloomington.
    Check on dispersed camping rules for the HNF and the various SFs. But, yes, Deam is one of the main places in IN.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

A couple thoughts on this one. Many years ago when I was a Boy Scout, several people used to get a stick about as big around as your index finger and a few feet long. Whittle off the the bark and wrap your biscuits or croissant dough around the stick and just keep rotating it as if roasting a hot dog. The key is you need more indirect heat otherwise it burns because it cooks the outside too fast.
    Another option we used to use, get a decent size cardboard box (1ftx1ft or so). Line the inside with foil. Then take some old metal coat hangers (with no coatings), cut them and poke them through the sides of the box to form a grate inside. Now with one end of the box flaps open (as the oven door) place your biscuits, cinnamon rolls or whatever bread on the rack on a lightly oiled sheet of foil. Then place a small foil pie pan inside under the rack and close the flaps.
    Keep an eye on the bread and turn it about halfway through baking. Might sound like a PITA but really is simple and works well. It works in a similar manner as a Dutch Oven.

Instead of taking wooden skewers as seen in the chicken video, just keep some of those non coated wire coat hanger sticks with your gear. Use them as skewers or they can be used to make a grate or woven into a grill.

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    A couple thoughts on this one. Many years ago when I was a Boy Scout, several people used to get a stick about as big around as your index finger and a few feet long. Whittle off the the bark and wrap your biscuits or croissant dough around the stick and just keep rotating it as if roasting a hot dog. The key is you need more indirect heat otherwise it burns because it cooks the outside too fast.
    Another option we used to use, get a decent size cardboard box (1ftx1ft or so). Line the inside with foil. Then take some old metal coat hangers (with no coatings), cut them and poke them through the sides of the box to form a grate inside. Now with one end of the box flaps open (as the oven door) place your biscuits, cinnamon rolls or whatever bread on the rack on a lightly oiled sheet of foil. Then place a small foil pie pan inside under the rack and close the flaps.
    Keep an eye on the bread and turn it about halfway through baking. Might sound like a PITA but really is simple and works well. It works in a similar manner as a Dutch Oven.

Instead of taking wooden skewers as seen in the chicken video, just keep some of those non coated wire coat hanger sticks with your gear. Use them as skewers or they can be used to make a grate or woven into a grill.
    Thank you for watching and the suggestions. Im learning as I go. I was a boy scout back in the day but not a very good one lol.

One thing I remember doing was cooking a meal in an orange peel. We ate the inside, mixed vegis in hamburger, formed a ball and put that inside of the orange peel ( top and bottom half). Wrapped that in foil and placed it in the coals. It tasted like the orange when done but cooked well.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Thank you for watching and the suggestions. Im learning as I go. I was a boy scout back in the day but not a very good one lol.

One thing I remember doing was cooking a meal in an orange peel. We ate the inside, mixed vegis in hamburger, formed a ball and put that inside of the orange peel ( top and bottom half). Wrapped that in foil and placed it in the coals. It tasted like the orange when done but cooked well.
    I did that once and just didn't care for it. Now, even to this day I enjoy a good foil dinner aka hobo dinner. Meat ( your choice hamburger patty, steak, pork chop, chicken), can or frozen green beans, corn, some onion, sliced potatoes, seasonings on the meat add some butter to flavor. Wrap in heavy duty foil and place right on the coal bed or grill. Cook for about 12-15 minutes then flip for an additional 12-15 minutes. Just add condiments and maybe a roll and eat. Easy clean up too

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I did that once and just didn't care for it. Now, even to this day I enjoy a good foil dinner aka hobo dinner. Meat ( your choice hamburger patty, steak, pork chop, chicken), can or frozen green beans, corn, some onion, sliced potatoes, seasonings on the meat add some butter to flavor. Wrap in heavy duty foil and place right on the coal bed or grill. Cook for about 12-15 minutes then flip for an additional 12-15 minutes. Just add condiments and maybe a roll and eat. Easy clean up too
    I didnt care for it either.

Took a couple of guys camping a few years ago, threw yhe steaks rifht on the coals and their eyes about popped out but the steaks turned out really good.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan

If car camping or have a cooler, you can pack in hamburger beef. One one my favorites from scouts is a variation of this. Spray a little non-stick spray on a sheet of foil, put your hamburger on it, dump some canned corn and green beans and/or canned potatoes on top of it, wrap it up and place on hot coals. 7-10 minutes and it’s a hot dinner. A little salt and pepper, maybe some hot sauce and Bob’s your uncle.

ETA: I replied before I saw @thunderchicken’s post LOL

Top Bottom