• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

Not sure this qualifies as bushcraft or not but a good way to cook a meal outdoors.

When I first joined the Boy Scouts, my first backpack was just like that except it was on steel frame. It had been my dads backpack when he was a kid in the 60s.

Couple tips for what it maybe worth. When your mess kit is larger than the stove, get a large metal can about the size of an old coffee can. Put some holes in it to let the fire breathe. Place the can over the stove and it will give a larger surface area for the mess kit to sit on making it more stable and seems to give a more even heat across the pan. Also if you use that mess kit over a fire, using a paper towel lightly coat the bottom of the pan with dish soap. It will prevent the pan from turning colors.
    Oh and yeah the potatoes would have went well with that steak

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    Headed out tomorrow, taking a salmon filet to cook. What say the masses on how to cook it? Thinking about taking foil and wrapping it with butter and garlic or maybe take a cast iron skillet and frying it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Headed out tomorrow, taking a salmon filet to cook. What say the masses on how to cook it? Thinking about taking foil and wrapping it with butter and garlic or maybe take a cast iron skillet and frying it.

Cast iron is way too heavy. Better to try to use utensils that you can easily carry.

My suggestion;

Cut the salmon in half. Do half in foil on the coals. The other half in your titanium or aluminum pack pan, pot or such.

Do the seasonings and or add in differerently, so you have the same thing two completely differerent ways.

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    A couple of small lightweight grill grates in bags could easily find a home in a backpack. There are several options on amazon or make a couple if you can weld.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Like Coalcracker on you tube. Short clips on stuff. He makes campfire bread, smokes meat, shows cool little things for around camp. Matthew Posa has much longer videos and some are great! His early ones he would go out in snow storms and build shelters of different types. Now he makes mostly camping ones.

This video by Matthew Posa is what really got me back into the woods to do campfires and cooking. Use to all the time as a kid and now being older I found a new place in my life for it again.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GetLow16
    Top Bottom