• ...and so much more!
  • patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Got injection in shoulder last week. Can start my PT at home again this week.
    Just strung up my new Blackwidow, been sitting in the box for a while.

Was of minor discomfort and i drew it maybe 3/4. No major pain.

See how it goes this weekend.

Lost some strength w injury and covid crap. Its like starting from ground zero.

Cant really tune til form comes back. But Ill stand close to the bag target and send a few.

Maybe ill be OK.
    Here's hoping you're good as new by 10/01.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Not good as new LOL, but have been shooting the recurve and can do a couple dozen shots without pain. Might be good enough to hunt the late season.

So the Torrex will be put on the block. Nice bow, good stuff, but a compound and I just don't really like em anymore.

Am glad to be back to flipping sticks in the back yard w my recurve :)

DolomiteDave

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2022
    Carmel
    Really thick target . My paint cabinet in the basement has holes in the door from just such shenanigans.
    I was thinking of duct taping a bunch of those big foam targets together from floor to ceiling and shooting down my hallway. Met a guy once who has some weird arrow with a cup at the end, and the arrow never comes off the bow. Places Ball bearings into the cup and practices that way shooting at several blankets he has attached to the ceiling that drape down.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    How long do bowstrings last? I have an old PSE compound that the string has to be 35+ years old. It looks OK but I know if they break it can be bad.

Not sure I can draw a bow anymore due to an injury, so I don't want to put much into it if I just need to get rid of it.

Hawkj

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2022
    Westpoint, IN
    I personally wouldn’t feel comfortable shooting a compound with a string that old. I typically replace them around the 5 year mark or soooner if I shoot a lot. I had 1 string come apart and luckily I or the bow was not damaged. That string was around 3 years old but I shot a lot at the time and strings are higher quality now for sure.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    Anyone have any ideas about how to practice archery in an apartment?

I have this in my basement hanging from the a support beam. A bag target is great for indoors. You have to have it on stand though. The movement of the stand allows for energy transfer and keep the bag lasting longer. I shot my 278fps 536gr arrows at it at only 15 ft. It holds up.

DolomiteDave

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2022
    Carmel

I have this in my basement hanging from the a support beam. A bag target is great for indoors. You have to have it on stand though. The movement of the stand allows for energy transfer and keep the bag lasting longer. I shot my 278fps 536gr arrows at it at only 15 ft. It holds up.
    Thanks, gonna check these out. See if there is a good spot to hang it up.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I personally wouldn’t feel comfortable shooting a compound with a string that old. I typically replace them around the 5 year mark or soooner if I shoot a lot. I had 1 string come apart and luckily I or the bow was not damaged. That string was around 3 years old but I shot a lot at the time and strings are higher quality now for sure.
    I got a Hoyt I bought new in 1991 and replaced strings with a new set up in 1995. Shot tournaments and hunted until 4 years ago went to crossbow. Got the old Hoyt out this year and shot several times just in case the crossbow broke down or sights got messed up I would fall back on the Hoyt. I keep the strings waxed and it still shot perfect. That’s 27 years! 70lb Hoyt Eclipse.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    There is a new archery store with a range that opened up at the mall here (straight shooter archery), I took my bow in to be looked at and cleaned up (35 for inspection/clean up) and had them take the five pin optic off and put a three pin on. Picked it on Tuesday and bought arrows (lost five a few years ago at in laws). They helped me with tips and sighting in the sight. After a shim, I was hitting dead center from ten yards. Probably going to go about once a week. The range is only up to 20 yards though. Might rejoin Riley conservation club next year as they also have an archery area in front of the vclub house.

I bought my bow at a yard sale for 50 dollars a few years ago, it is a matthews solo cam.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm not an archer anymore, but I just happened to notice this on a commercial for HM clothing. When I shot, I nocked the arrow between my first two fingers. Do people really shoot like this, or are these just actors that don't have a clue? Both of them have the arrow nocked above their fingers. I would think that's less than ideal. :scratch:

1673822070203.png

El Conquistador

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jan 28, 2019
    far from here
    Some people shoot split fingers (one finger above the arrow and 2 under) and others shoot 3 fingers under. I shoot my recurve with 3 fingers under and also when I shot my compound without sights. The photo above looks like they are string walking, its where you move your fingers away from the knock but still anchor in the same spot to adjust for distance shooting.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Some people shoot split fingers (one finger above the arrow and 2 under) and others shoot 3 fingers under. I shoot my recurve with 3 fingers under and also when I shot my compound without sights. The photo above looks like they are string walking, its where you move your fingers away from the knock but still anchor in the same spot to adjust for distance shooting.
    Thanks for the explanation! I had no idea that it was a real method. And yes, 1 over and 2 under is what I meant. Been a long time! :):

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    String walking, tends to be varied placement on the string for diff yardages.
    But that variation means less than great flight at other "settings".

IMHO the fixed crawl can be tuned for great flight. Since you are always at same distance from arrow nock.
    But then you have to hold high or low for diff yardages (from whatever your "point on" distance is).

Now shooting "regular", there is some gap between arrow tip and target. Some folks go 3 under instead of split finger to reduce this gap. Once can run heavier arrows and anchor higher to further reduce the gap (allowing arrow tip to be used as a sight but probably not hold dead on).

Depending on bow length/drawlength, some folks go with a small "fixed crawl" and tune for it, and that helps shrink the gap.

I hunt, so have to stay consistent on the string. Broadheads are not forgiving. My Blackwidow builds have all been tillered split, but I can run them fine split or 3 under. Of course I have to move the nock point to tune for the difference. Even adding a bow quiver mandated a slight nock pt change.

A longer bow (tip to tip) and ILF sure is tempting, to run indoors (fixed 20 yard target).
    Have buds that do it and shoot some pretty nice scores.

Like anything, if you want to win theres a bit of a game to be played.

I dunno if some competition classes mandate "bumping the nock" w a finger. Used to IIRC.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Shot indoors w my 58" hunting rigs, hunting poundage. Unconscious gap (instinctive).
    Never won anything but then I shot for fun and to just get better with hunting gear.

Prefer split for the cleaner release, but 3 under does help reduce the gap and the brain can learn sight pictures better/faster.
    Split I run a KP300 calfhair tab w the spacer. 3 under I run the Blackwidow 3 under calfhair tab.
    Also anchor split w my middle finger at corner of mouth/on tooth. Not index finger. This helps shrink the gap. Anchor same w 3 under.
    Did experiment w "face walking"....different anchors. It can work but anchoring under the cheekbone and then on it, can affect arrow spine requirements.

Have not tried a small fixed crawl, since my bow is 58". Maybe it would work, maybe not.
    Have shot enough that I'll go split and if I have problems, can't practice enough, will just go 3 under and run that. I am shooting heavier spine arrows w more tip weight so my gap is lesser.

Am not a fan of extreme arrow weight or extreme FOC. I like my arrows to get to the target kinda quick. My arrows are around 550 gr IIRC. Supposedly magic happens on animal penetration at 650gr or more. Id have to shoot stuff at spittin distance tossing those logs LOL

Last edited:
    Top Bottom