• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    Recently started shooting recurve, I got this bow for $5 several years ago, recently took the green paint off and found it was a Herters from the 60’s. and bought some arrows and now aim trying to figure out gap with it, I’m decent with instinct but want a more consistent way

26F3F86A-3912-4BAB-978D-074C08530E8A.jpeg
    F0354E2E-70C7-4483-9AAB-F0D4AAEE17C3.jpeg
    8BDA2CB7-D1BB-4B24-A0B4-0C428012BAF9.jpeg
    CD9FB9A5-D599-4AE9-B1F6-2F96EBDE3EDA.jpeg

Attachments

• CA43FC80-0223-4EEF-A97C-52FA5204ABE9.png
      CA43FC80-0223-4EEF-A97C-52FA5204ABE9.png
      1.4 MB · Views: 1

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I have always shot split finger meaning the index finger is above the knock of the arrow and the middle and third finger are below
    the arrow knock, index finger to the corner of the mouth for anchor at full draw. Lately I've been putting the middle finger at the corner of the mouth and it appears to be a more consistent anchor.

A consistent anchor is important because that is like the rear sight of a gun. You will also need to adjust your knocking point. For that use a bow square (they're cheap) and most people find 5/8's inch above square works well though may be different for your individual shooting style for clean arrow flight along with shooting high or low.

You will also need to adjust brace height which is the distance from the string to the deepest point of the handle on a riser (handle of the bow). That is adjusted by twisting or untwisting the string. Remember when this changes the knocking point will also change. Usually brace height can be 7-8" or 8-9". You may be able to find it by searching your bow model.

To make sure your arrows are of the proper spine you should bare shaft test one. That means to scrape the feathers off and shoot from about 10 yards away. The way the arrow hits the target will say alot. Arrow spine can be micro tuned with different point weights. Let's say you are shooting 125 grain field points and your arrows are a bit stiff. You can try 150 grain points to lessen
    the arrow spine a bit. Arrow length also affects spine. The shorter the arrow length the stiffer the arrow will appear to be.

Yeah, there's a lot to getting them to shoot good not to mention your form. Lot's of research can be done with the above info and
    I believe it can all be found on the internet. Good luck.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    Just found this thread. I’ve never been an archery person but got involved when my son started shooting for his school team for NASP five years ago. The following year my wife who teaches at the school started and I’ve been a volunteer coach since.

Anyone here have kids shooting nasp with their school?

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    Cloverdale nationals are this weekend. 3D shoot, bowyers and vendors if there's anything you want to check out in person. West central IN.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Shot a few from my 46# Blackwidow. Arthritis sucks so practice sessions short. Flight good, gap established. Just some buzz at the shot. Figured quiver foam and grippers worn so ordered replacement from GFA.

Edit: I run a Delta attached at limb bolts. Bear sold that same quiver for a while but the factory burnt down (quiver maker).

Last edited:

WhiskE TangO

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Bargersville
    Hello everyone. Have a question for the group. My 12yr daughter has been shooting a compound bow at school and has expressed interest in it outside of school.
    Need recommendations from those that are light years more experienced than myself in this matter.
    She is 12 (13 in January)
    4’ 9” height
    Weighs roughly 78lbs.
    She’s a beanpole.

What would be a good starter bow for her?

Thanks!

HoosierHunter07

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 22, 2020
    Borden
    Can someone recommend an archery shop in Southern Indiana with knowledgeable staff? I've shot a bow for 20 yrs and never had any real training. I'm interested in some instruction and someone to look over my setup and check how my bow fits me.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Getting my home bow shop set up and got the press mounted on the tool cart today. Looking forward to being able to do everything short of building my own strings myself.
    RNUVHKc.jpg

Top Bottom