• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MattYagPD01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    FW
    OK... in a nut shell, i would like to try my hand at an AK74 parts kit. I am not afraid of the work or the money, but am afraid of the lack of knowledge when it comes to the vendors. If anyone has done this and has some knowledge or a place to point me i would appreciate your help. Thanks

M

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I've had great luck with apex gun parts. When i got mine it was 210 with new usa made barrel. Keep an eye on apex's website. If it is your first build, getting an original matching barrel is a huge plus! It's a pretty easy build and very rewarding! If you have access to a mill or are good with a drill press you could probably set your own headspace with a new barrel, I however don't have access to good equipment. Militarygunsupply.com has 74 kits sometimes too.

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    whatacountry has parts kits with new Bulgarian barrels for $290 plus shipping. I don't think you are going to beat that deal and the barrel is good. Nodak Spud was selling NDS2 receivers for $43 shipped. I don't know if they have any left at that price but that is hard to beat.

The barrels they sell will have to be installed in the trunion and headspaced which you will probably need help with.

I did see a kit for sale on another board that had the original barrel already in the trunnion and the gas block and fsb were also mounted up. That would be the easiest to build but they also wanted more money for it. Kits like that are extremely rare.

gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    32   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy
    Ideally for a first AK build you will want a numbers matching kit with the original barrel. These are hard to find anymore with the barrel import ban. second best would be a kit numbers matching with a barrel from the same gun (bulgy 74 kit with a bulgy 74 barrel) The least desirable scenario is a new barrel US barrel or virgin kit.

gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    32   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy
    what a country has a Romy G kit (47 based) all original for $330. That would be my first choice. Not a 74 but after getting this under your belt a more complicated kit will be easier.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    headspacing a new barrel isnt THAT difficult really, you just have to know what to do, and have the head space gauges. Ideally you will have a drill press so you can drill the barrel pin, and a hydraulic press, cause once the barrel is headspaced and pinned, you want to put the RSB, GB, and FSB on.

the other issue is some of these "new" barrels dont have the extractor cut made, the lower hand guard slots cut, or the GB orifice drilled.

so yeah, its a lot more work, but not necessarily difficult work.

If you can find an all matching kit, get it, but expect to pay 2x what you're seeing for kits with out a barrel.

gska3873

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Northeast Indiana
    One other thing to be carefull of when building a 74 kit with a brand new US made barrel is to mic the OD of the barrel and the ID of the parts that go on it (i.e. rear sight base, gas block, front sight base). I have found some to be way too tight of a fit and you can really screw things up if you don't polish the OD of the barrel down a bit in those areas.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I have heard about head space. What is that? Is that how far the barrel is pushed into the trunion?

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    its a relation of the distance between the bolt and barrel/chamber, basically it insures that the ammo its in the right place with the bolt closed. To tight a headspace and your bolt might not fully lock into position. To loose and you wont have the round fully into the chamber and bad things could happen, ie kaboom!

arbitrary

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    If you find a kit with an original installed barrel, the headspace has been already set (not a bad idea to check though).

Top Bottom