• ...and so much more!
  • Bowling_R

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Guilford
    I have the opportunity to pick up a vulcan mod 47 underfolder for 475.00
    It shoots, but sometimes gets stuck in open position.
    Is it worth buying? All research says these are junk/run away......but I was wondering if it was worth or possible to save this thing...I'm new to the AK platform, I figured I'd ask and get some other opinions. Appreciate any advice out there. 20220206_100957.jpg 20220206_100932.jpg
    20220206_100853.jpg

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    I don’t know a lot about that company or ak’s for that matter, but im pretty sure there should be a rivet in the buldged trunion, not a screw?

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Looks like someones’s screw build from back in the day. It was a cheap way out so you didn’t have to have rivet jigs. Since the build quality was low the resale value is generally low. I believe Vulcan was Hesse which is generally to be avoided.

If the kit is otherwise decent it’s probably worth the asking price or more. The only only problem is you would be looking at a lot more to get it properly rebuilt on a decent receiver.

knutty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 5, 2016
    Noblesville
    The parts alone are probably worth about $475. I would closely check the condition of the bore, its probably an original Yugo barrel and they can be sewer pipes.

If the bore is nice, I would offer $400 and get it built proper. If the bore is trash, I would walk away.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Agree that Vulcan was near the bottom of the list for desirable receivers or rifles. I also agree that the parts removed from the Vulcan receiver can be worth in the $400 range.

I will also say that unless it is purchased for future disassembly and reassembly on a quality receiver that it would not be a good purchase for someone not familiar with the AKM platform. Especially if you want to go right out and enjoy the greatness of a Kalashnikov.

Bowling_R

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Guilford
    I am currently talking to the guy I'm buying it from, I offered to purchase as a parts kit....I lowered my offer and he is deciding if he is gonna take it or not..
    I am very interested in building/getting it built correctly.
    I really like this thing, what am I looking at price wise to turn this into a decent build?

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Not safe to use as-is, but if the parts are salvageable and the guy will come down in price, it is in line with retailer demilled Yugo kits. If the barrel is sewer piped, there are plenty of Yugo and U.S. options. Get a quality receiver (Recreator, Childers etc.) and a reputable builder like @AllenM, and you'll have a nice BFPU shooter.

All in, you're probably looking at around $1,200 for a (re)finished rifle, which is in line with what kit-built M70AB2s are worth.

Bowling_R

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Guilford
    Barrel is dark, but strong rifling, I'm gonna scrub it down this evening.
    Kinda hoping he'll sell it to me, I'm kinda excited to jump into this and save it.
    If he won't budge on price I'll pass info to AllenM. 20220206_141458.jpg

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    I hope you're able to work out a deal, @Bowling_R - that thing still has some soul, and it's always great to see surplus AKs rescued and brought back to life the right way.

Oh - if you're able to snag it, add a factory Yugo pistol grip to your parts list ;)

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    206   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    I'm gonna be the odd man out. Check all the screws for tightness, clean off all the funky dirt and any rust. Check the trigger and reset with care. Pay particular attention to the recoil spring for for free action. Now, this is important, make darn sure that the hammer block on the back of the bolt has not been modified (shortened) because that is the only thing that keeps it from firing out of battery. (sp?)
    Look at this as an opportunity. You'll find out if you even like a rifle that, at best, is 4 to 5 MOA. You can pay a lot of money to get 4.5 MOA, but that is a lot of squeezing for a shot glass of juice.
    Bottom line, the AK and AKM was developed for peasants that still use donkey carts. No offense guys, I've had em, still have one. When the ammo was $80 per 1200 delivered I was overjoyed. If I'm going to shoot something that costs 40 cents per I'd expect a little better.
    I would safety check that thing and shoot the snot out of it.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    All in, you're probably looking at around $1,200 for a (re)finished rifle, which is in line with what kit-built M70AB2s are worth.
    I must not be understanding the value here. We are living in the golden age of high quality factory built AKs. Both imported and domestic. A ZPAP right now is running sud 1k and will be twice the rifle that one ever will be and is essentially the same thing just not cheaply built from a shot out de-milled parts kit. Unless you are just in love with the underfolder (Trust me you'll get over it, I hated my Yugo M70AB2s stock otherwise I'd still have it) the thing isn't worth the time or money to rebuild. At least it wouldn't be to me.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Unless you are just in love with the underfolder (Trust me you'll get over it, I hated my Yugo M70AB2s stock otherwise I'd still have it) the thing isn't worth the time or money to rebuild. At least it wouldn't be to me.

Nothing to "get over" here - I have an AB2 myself, along with a proper underfolder M92 SBR and a few other UFs and really enjoy them all. As for value, a lot of AK guys see a premium in surplus parts over something newer and commercial like the ZPAP. I also have a ZPAP and while it is arguably a better gun, it just doesn't "do it" for me the way my surplus guns do. To each their own.

My price estimate included a ballpark professional build cost. Obviously it's a lot cheaper to build these oneself, but it doesn't sound like OP is ready for that. There's also a huge disparity in total cost, based on what parts are used, condition/provenance of said parts, who builds it, and so on. I'd choose one solid kit built M70AB2 for $1,200 over two $600 PSA GF3s 100% of the time.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    I'm gonna be the odd man out. Check all the screws for tightness, clean off all the funky dirt and any rust. Check the trigger and reset with care. Pay particular attention to the recoil spring for for free action. Now, this is important, make darn sure that the hammer block on the back of the bolt has not been modified (shortened) because that is the only thing that keeps it from firing out of battery. (sp?)
    Look at this as an opportunity. You'll find out if you even like a rifle that, at best, is 4 to 5 MOA. You can pay a lot of money to get 4.5 MOA, but that is a lot of squeezing for a shot glass of juice.
    Bottom line, the AK and AKM was developed for peasants that still use donkey carts. No offense guys, I've had em, still have one. When the ammo was $80 per 1200 delivered I was overjoyed. If I'm going to shoot something that costs 40 cents per I'd expect a little better.
    I would safety check that thing and shoot the snot out of it.

While I agree that fugly Bubba guns need and deserve love, too (hell, I have a hella old weld build Romy that's never hiccuped), these Vulcan/Hesse guns are downright dangerous. Being a second, third+ owner of one even more so, since the gun's history is unknown. They made legitimately bad AKs that were/are infamous for poor heat treating and parts failures.

There's a reason the company changed names and later went out of business. Not worth the risk here with the factory receiver IMO.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Nothing to "get over" here - I have an AB2 myself, along with a proper underfolder M92 SBR and a few other UFs and really enjoy them all. As for value, a lot of AK guys see a premium in surplus parts over something newer and commercial like the ZPAP. I also have a ZPAP and while it is arguably a better gun, it just doesn't "do it" for me the way my surplus guns do. To each their own.

My price estimate included a ballpark professional build cost. Obviously it's a lot cheaper to build these oneself, but it doesn't sound like OP is ready for that. There's also a huge disparity in total cost, based on what parts are used, condition/provenance of said parts, who builds it, and so on. I'd choose one solid kit built M70AB2 for $1,200 over two $600 PSA GF3s 100% of the time.
    Sorry wasn't directly talking to you. Just quoted your post because of the estimated price listing. My point was to the OP.

Still can't deny that as of right now there are more and better AKs in the US right now than ever before in my life time. WBP, Radom, Zastava, Arsenal, KUSA, PSA, DPMS now. Although out of the US made guns KUSA would probably be the only one I'd consider. It really is the golden age of AKs in the US. No sense for the OP who is an admitted AK nood to drop good money after bad to fix a basket case. When he could simply buy a good rifle off the shelf for less and be shooting tomorrow. Just my opinion anyway. Seen way to many motorcycle novices buy a "box-o-bike" and end up spending more money putting together a problem than it would cost just to buy a decent motorcycle to begin with

Last edited:
    Top Bottom