• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bighoss91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 14, 2020
    Milton
    I always enjoy a good build party. I have all the tooling minus a long clearance press i can only fit 18" in mine (but great for riveting) So im in the market for 2nd or at least to upgrade. However im in the process of house hunting/moving so things are half packed up otherwise id be happy to host the event. I have two rarer kits im hoping to finish this year AK-15 (ak-12 except in 7.62x39) and OTS Groza kit some talent guys on the akfiles built and offered a few for sale (however i still need phase II of those parts to start it
    I have a toth tool barrel press fixture that goes in a vice set up for bulged trunnion guns. It will do about any length barrel in a rpk style build. I loaned it to a friend he built a rommy rpk 23" and I've done 2 yugos 21" with it.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Jasper county
    Just received my ak builder order last week with chf barrel, 80 receiver and rivets, so I believe I have everything needed other then the tools.

Still waiting on Childers 80 m72 receiver although ak builder has m72 receiver flats in stock.

which do you all prefer, bending a flat or starting with an prebent 80?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Just received my ak builder order last week with chf barrel, 80 receiver and rivets, so I believe I have everything needed other then the tools.

Still waiting on Childers 80 m72 receiver although ak builder has m72 receiver flats in stock.

which do you all prefer, bending a flat or starting with an prebent 80?
    Its a preference issue. With a flat all the holes are already predrilled and you just put the flat in the die, put it in the press, and pump the handle until it goes PING!!! With a prebent, you have to correctly drill all the holes in the correct locations.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Jasper county
    That makes sense, I guess the prebent looked easier to me as I own a drill but not a press. Although the prebent I got already had trunnion holes, just not fcg holes.

also what about heat treating flats?

Any good recommendations of ak building videos to watch so if this build party happens I have a general idea of what needs done?

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    That makes sense, I guess the prebent looked easier to me as I own a drill but not a press. Although the prebent I got already had trunnion holes, just not fcg holes.

also what about heat treating flats?

Any good recommendations of ak building videos to watch so if this build party happens I have a general idea of what needs done?
    hardened shells to me are best..... akbuilder makes a fine drill jig i have the 1mm but that doesnt help you 1.5mm rpk/yugo guys childers makes a nice affordable layout guide however

for flats we always just spot treated the holes with torch and map gas into a oil or salt brine

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Following to see if this happens, I have one i started years ago and need to finish. Then I have a couple more after that,

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Jasper county
    hardened shells to me are best..... akbuilder makes a fine drill jig i have the 1mm but that doesnt help you 1.5mm rpk/yugo guys childers makes a nice affordable layout guide however

for flats we always just spot treated the holes with torch and map gas into a oil or salt brine
    I actually ordered a yugo layout guide with my receiver if it ever shows up.

Im definitely still in for a build party if anyone else is regardless of OP status. Would be great to meet some new INGO members and get to learn a new skill. Anyone else?

Last edited:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I actually ordered a yugo layout guide with my receiver if it ever shows up.

I definitely still in for a build party if anyone else is regardless of OP status. Would be great to meet some new INGO members and get to learn a new skill. Anyone else?
    Sounds good to me if everything lines up. As i mentioned, I have the stamping dies for both AK and RPK flats.

Top Bottom