• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    I’m quite excited. I just got the picatinny top rail in the mail today. Not sure what route I want to go for the optic. Between an aimpoint of some sort and an eotech. Depending on how well it all comes together and runs, it may become my new house rifle.

When I get the chance to get it ordered I’m interested to see the height the rail it puts it at. Some reviews I’ve seen say it’s a little too high. Either way it’ll be part of the collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Woo doggie the Hebrews did it again. Quick out of the box photo:

vTOJ5Ssh.jpg

I already had a few goodies for this thing lying around, with a few more on the way. Will post a makeover pic soon but this thing is sweet as hell. Can't wait to shoot it.

TrueSeanamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 8, 2021
    Indiana
    When I get the chance to get it ordered I’m interested to see the height the rail it puts it at. Some reviews I’ve seen say it’s a little too high. Either way it’ll be part of the collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think it may be fairly high. More like a chin weld than a cheek weld. Shouldn’t be too much of an issue with a red dot since eye relief and head position aren’t really an issue with them like magnified optics.

it’s probably even worse if I get my hands on a beryl collapsible stock. So I’m not sure if I want to go full Polish clone or try to be more ergonomic and get something with a cheek riser like the magpul folding stock or something.

TrueSeanamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 8, 2021
    Indiana
    P
    Woo doggie the Hebrews did it again. Quick out of the box photo:

vTOJ5Ssh.jpg

I already had a few goodies for this thing lying around, with a few more on the way. Will post a makeover pic soon but this thing is sweet as hell. Can't wait to shoot it.
    Is that 5.45 version? Or 5.56? The magazine doesn’t looked curved enough to be 7.62x39.

TrueSeanamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 8, 2021
    Indiana
    5.45. Introduced and immediately discontinued lol. IWI sold 545 each of these limited edition 16", 8", and now 13" first-gen guns in 5.45.
    I wish Poland, Romania, Bulgaria, or Israel would actually make a stream of 5.45 guns. Constant on and off is killing the caliber just as bad as the 7n6 ban did... congrats on getting one though, especially a rarer one like that.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    I wish Poland, Romania, Bulgaria, or Israel would actually make a stream of 5.45 guns. Constant on and off is killing the caliber just as bad as the 7n6 ban did...

100% ditto, but that time has unfortunately probably passed. Look at the current militaries (and NATO influence) mentioned...
    • Poland - Tantals replaced with 5.56 weapons and demilled kits for export have largely been exhausted. Poland may still produce 5.45 ammo right now, but if that's the case it's probably to support Ukraine (which lost its primary factory in the war). There are some new 5.45x39 mags available from WBP which fuels some speculation of a new 74 firearm derivative in the works, but surely that would be a commercial-spec gun to satiate US consumers (and the scattered rumors could easily be a big nothingburger).
    • Bulgaria - Largely replaced with 5.56 weapons. Arsenal JSCo. has pretty much nixed 5.45 exports as well and I don't see that resuming in full anytime soon. They're also flooded with military contracts right now. Everything I've read about Arsenal is that they hate 5.45, and remember that SLR-104 series guns were somewhat niche and pretty much sat on shelves until the 7N6 ban. We always want what we cannot have.
    • Romania - Arguably our best bet as American consumers. Even though its military has shifted from 5.45, it still produces a ton of weapons, mags, and ammo for that caliber for export and civilian markets. They also have massive stockpiles of 5.45 gear, which could feasibly hit the wholesale market in a few years as they finish transitioning to 5.56 service weapons (much like PM md. and Romy G guns of yore). I'd love to see barreled 5.45 kits from Cugir hit our shores in a few years but I'm not holding my breath.
    From what it sounds like, IWI will produce more 5.45 derivatives for its current second-generation ACE platform. But what we really need for this caliber is ammo. A ban on Russian ammo would pretty much obliterate the caliber, outside what's already piled up in some folks' basements. Any domestic producer ready to step up to the plate for us depraved AK-74 fans? I dunno...

All that said though, 5.45x39 is still #masterrace :cool:

TrueSeanamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 8, 2021
    Indiana
    100% ditto, but that time has unfortunately probably passed. Look at the current militaries (and NATO influence) mentioned...
    • Poland - Tantals replaced with 5.56 weapons and demilled kits for export have largely been exhausted. Poland may still produce 5.45 ammo right now, but if that's the case it's probably to support Ukraine (which lost its primary factory in the war). There are some new 5.45x39 mags available from WBP which fuels some speculation of a new 74 firearm derivative in the works, but surely that would be a commercial-spec gun to satiate US consumers (and the scattered rumors could easily be a big nothingburger).
    • Bulgaria - Largely replaced with 5.56 weapons. Arsenal JSCo. has pretty much nixed 5.45 exports as well and I don't see that resuming in full anytime soon. They're also flooded with military contracts right now. Everything I've read about Arsenal is that they hate 5.45, and remember that SLR-104 series guns were somewhat niche and pretty much sat on shelves until the 7N6 ban. We always want what we cannot have.
    • Romania - Arguably our best bet as American consumers. Even though its military has shifted from 5.45, it still produces a ton of weapons, mags, and ammo for that caliber for export and civilian markets. They also have massive stockpiles of 5.45 gear, which could feasibly hit the wholesale market in a few years as they finish transitioning to 5.56 service weapons (much like PM md. and Romy G guns of yore). I'd love to see barreled 5.45 kits from Cugir hit our shores in a few years but I'm not holding my breath.
    From what it sounds like, IWI will produce more 5.45 derivatives for its current second-generation ACE platform. But what we really need for this caliber is ammo. A ban on Russian ammo would pretty much obliterate the caliber, outside what's already piled up in some folks' basements. Any domestic producer ready to step up to the plate for us depraved AK-74 fans? I dunno...

All that said though, 5.45x39 is still #masterrace :cool:
    Ya true. The Obama EO ban of Russian guns was really the death knell of 5.45 in the US of quality, consistent imports. I’d love to believe that will be undone one day, but the clinton China ban is still in place 25 years later :’(. And even though we are significantly closer to China than we are to Russia for some reason that ban is still in place a quarter century later. The government will never willingly allow more guns to come in to we plebs. Especially high quality affordable stuff like what Russia was sending us.

kBk wz. 1970

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 16, 2021
    Carroll County
    I don’t really understand why it’s called Russian red. Every AK from Russia I have seen is orange/amber colored. The only other colors I have seen then that is the black, plum, and border guard green color furniture. Now mosins are reddish in color but I think that’s just from generations of cosmoline/shellac. I rubbed down my M44 and it was the same light amber color if not even lighter.

That looks pretty nice though. Will look even better with the coats bringing out the shine.
    Yeah, me neither. Buzzword I’m sure. Most people associate commies with red. I think if I was marketing it, (and I will now) this color is “Mockba Motel” = “Moscow Motel”... 0B7457AB-05B4-4D0B-A2EB-8271763222CA.jpeg

kBk wz. 1970

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 16, 2021
    Carroll County
    Where did you pick yours up from? I just ordered the 7.62 version off AOA and they were supposed to be calling me to take my payment info since the card processor went down as the sale went live. That was on Wednesday and I never heard back after calling and being told they were going to call everyone to get their info when it came back up. So either their payment processor got nuked, they have the slows for getting stuff worked out, or they missed me. Guess I’ll call again on Monday.
    Pretty excited though. My AK collection grows larger but I have a LONG way to go still :D
    Yeah, AoA. I heard the CC processor went down, and they were saying to place order as a money order, then call back with your order # so they could process the payment. This one being the 5.56 model I didn’t run into a problem. There is always later this year I guess...

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I bought one of those stock sets and am thinking about putting it on the Maadi, so I figured I would just use the boiled linseed on it. I think I read the Egyptians were more a brownish than a red. This will be my first attempt at changing out the stock set.

TrueSeanamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 8, 2021
    Indiana
    Yeah, AoA. I heard the CC processor went down, and they were saying to place order as a money order, then call back with your order # so they could process the payment. This one being the 5.56 model I didn’t run into a problem. There is always later this year I guess...
    Sounds like they need a new payment processor. Lol. I think I’ll try for the 5.56 version if I have the cash. Then I can sell my AR and be truly AK master race. Or maybe sell my KP-9. It’s a cool gun and I’d like to SBR it but just not quite there yet on selling out to “da man” to put a stock on my own dang gun.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    I bought one of those stock sets and am thinking about putting it on the Maadi, so I figured I would just use the boiled linseed on it. I think I read the Egyptians were more a brownish than a red. This will be my first attempt at changing out the stock set.

As a multiple Maadi owner and general fan of this particular AK version, I think this is the better bet - boiled linseed oil vs. any kind of ROYGBIV stain. If you're going for authentic, it should look like this:

iu

Swapping standard AKM furniture is pretty straightforward but as tolerances vary from gun to gun, if you run into any speed bumps or have any questions, feel free to PM me. Done a ton of 'em and always happy to help.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    As a multiple Maadi owner and general fan of this particular AK version, I think this is the better bet - boiled linseed oil vs. any kind of ROYGBIV stain. If you're going for authentic, it should look like this:

iu

Swapping standard AKM furniture is pretty straightforward but as tolerances vary from gun to gun, if you run into any speed bumps or have any questions, feel free to PM me. Done a ton of 'em and always happy to help.
    bakelite grip?

do you oil the wood before trying to install?

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    bakelite grip?

do you oil the wood before trying to install?

Bakelite is fine, Egyptians were all over the place with what they used - brown polymer, black/"blue" grips.

As for oiling, it's really up to you. Probably a bit easier to do it beforehand so you can ensure you get all the nooks and crannies. I'd let it dry a bit first before installing it so you don't smear/fingerprint the surface.

Top Bottom