• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Looks like mostly matching, other than at least the top cover. That always helps a bit with value.
    If i ever get into the market for an AK again I'm definitely going by what you have posted.
    I've learned a lot from you about different AK rifles. Last AK I had was an underfolder Russian milled receiver that dated IIRC 1952. I had 6 original Russian 30rd magazines also. I no longer have it anymore. Everything was matching except the dust cover.
    My gunsmith used a stamped receiver and basically slide the front and back into the stamped receiver.
    The atf cut was around the mag well he cut away what needed to get it done, and left most of the original milled receiver intact. He did an incredible job.
    The only place it wasn't milled was the mag well area. The magazine snapped into the milled part on front and rear of the magazine.
    It's hard to describe.
    You would have to have seen it to understand and seen the quality job he did. It ran as hard as you wanted, and never missed a beat. The kit was in very good condition.
    That is another one I kick myself for getting rid of.
    It was accurate too. On a rest with Golden Tiger it shot 2" groups at 100yds.
    A guy I'm acquainted with offered a large amount for it about 6 months into Bidiot's presidency. I sold it, and I wish I could get it back.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    @DadSmith I am always happy to chat about these things and help in any small way I can, so please don't be a stranger if you decide to dip your toes back into these guns. Thanks for your kind words.

And your AK sounds nothing short of awesome. 1952 would make it a Type 2 AK-47, and if the parts were matching that would be among the earliest generation of underfolding stocks produced by the Soviets. Very cool piece of history. Just curious - was the barrel original? Do you recall if yours was a former PLO parts kit?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    @DadSmith I am always happy to chat about these things and help in any small way I can, so please don't be a stranger if you decide to dip your toes back into these guns. Thanks for your kind words.

And your AK sounds nothing short of awesome. 1952 would make it a Type 2 AK-47, and if the parts were matching that would be among the earliest generation of underfolding stocks produced by the Soviets. Very cool piece of history. Just curious - was the barrel original? Do you recall if yours was a former PLO parts kit?
    Yep it was a parts kit I bought in the early 90's. Everything was original. Except for the dust cover. All matching.
    I'll contact the guy who bought it and see if he'll send me a picture to post up.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site

Angrysauce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 30, 2020
    Kokomo
    While we're on the topic of mags, here is a side by side of two Ak-103 copies.
    KUSA on the left, AC Unity on the left. Overall KUSA feels much better quality and the reinforcements are more ferrous (presumably stronger). 20221020_195652.jpg 20221020_195709.jpg 20221020_195736.jpg 20221020_195743.jpg

Attachments

• 20221020_195642.jpg
      20221020_195642.jpg
      625 KB · Views: 3

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Yep it was a parts kit I bought in the early 90's. Everything was original. Except for the dust cover. All matching.
    I'll contact the guy who bought it and see if he'll send me a picture to post up.
    Bet you still wished you had it. That gun right now would fetch some nice coin

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    I snagged a lot of crusty but functional BFPU surplus mags that have some stories to tell. A few look like they were hit with shrapnel, but this Russian bakelite mag definitely caught my attention - free of rust, full of sand on the inside, and burned to hell on the outside. Finish on the metal parts is pretty much down to bare steel, so God only knows where this thing traveled or what stuff it saw before winding up in my simp hands. Speaking of, here it is right after disassembly and a rubbing of CLP:

20221001_151031.jpg

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Ordered Christmas self-present Galil ACE . . . and now we wait. Lol.

Will have photo when it comes in (right, when, not if, right?)

Gen 2, I presume? What caliber?

And isn't it technically a Hanukkah present? That's what I'm gonna tell my wife, anyway, when I buy eight more of them for me us.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Gen 2, I presume? What caliber?

And isn't it technically a Hanukkah present? That's what I'm gonna tell my wife, anyway, when I buy eight more of them for me us.
    7.62X39. Gen 2, yes.

Hanukkah? Maybe, but it may be Hanukkah 5784. Have been waiting. Which is OK, I have other stuff is get sorted out. Spent Sunday chasing zeros, lol.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    I snagged a lot of crusty but functional BFPU surplus mags that have some stories to tell. A few look like they were hit with shrapnel, but this Russian bakelite mag definitely caught my attention - free of rust, full of sand on the inside, and burned to hell on the outside. Finish on the metal parts is pretty much down to bare steel, so God only knows where this thing traveled or what stuff it saw before winding up in my simp hands. Speaking of, here it is right after disassembly and a rubbing of CLP:

View attachment 232809
    Syrian surplus?

Top Bottom