• IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    I just got my first AK this week.

Welcome to the club, comrade!

Regarding your tiger maple furniture, I'd leave it alone. I think it looks good as-is. However, if you want to make the grain pop a bit more I'd try some BLO or tung oil. Both are authentic options as they were originally used on Yugo military guns. BLO will give you darker results. Go get a similar maple board somewhere to see how the stains absorb and practice your technique. It's not hard, just go slow and use less stain than you think you need. Repeat as necessary until desired results are achieved. YouTube has a lot of helpful videos on this.

YugoGo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jun 10, 2021
    Hamilton County
    Welcome to the club, comrade!

Regarding your tiger maple furniture, I'd leave it alone. I think it looks good as-is. However, if you want to make the grain pop a bit more I'd try some BLO or tung oil. Both are authentic options as they were originally used on Yugo military guns. BLO will give you darker results. Go get a similar maple board somewhere to see how the stains absorb and practice your technique. It's not hard, just go slow and use less stain than you think you need. Repeat as necessary until desired results are achieved. YouTube has a lot of helpful videos on this.
    Thanks, really appreciate the tips. I bought a folder, ultimak and hogue lower to put on it for now and get the wood ready. The wood is really dry so maybe just a light coat every couple of months will preserve it?

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    The wood is really dry so maybe just a light coat every couple of months will preserve it?

That might help, but honestly I have 80-year-old guns whose wood is still going strong. And I rarely reapply or touch up any of my AKs, since IMO they look better with age and use.

My walnut ZPAP was the same way as yours - super dry wood. I hit the furniture with a couple coats of tung oil. Let it dry and then applied a couple light coats of Renaissance Wax (highly recommend this stuff for all sorts of applications). Results were satisfactory and it's doubtful I'll ever have to mess with it again.

YugoGo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jun 10, 2021
    Hamilton County
    That might help, but honestly I have 80-year-old guns whose wood is still going strong. And I rarely reapply or touch up any of my AKs, since IMO they look better with age and use.

My walnut ZPAP was the same way as yours - super dry wood. I hit the furniture with a couple coats of tung oil. Let it dry and then applied a couple light coats of Renaissance Wax (highly recommend this stuff for all sorts of applications). Results were satisfactory and it's doubtful I'll ever have to mess with it again.
    I will have to look up Renaissance Wax

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I love mine - maybe my favorite AK. Your furniture looks great. Where did you get it?
    I put that on years ago and don’t really remember. I ordered it online. It’s for a Russian RPK and needed quite a bit of fitting but I think it turned out ok. That gun and a Polytech under folder are the only 2 AK variants I kept. Trying to get a Polytech straight stock back from a buddy but I’m not sure if it’ll ever happen.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    My SKS Paratrooper truck gun. A handy little shooter and surprisingly accurate for that shorter barrel.

HRyUfZUh.jpg

Top Bottom