• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Angrysauce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 30, 2020
    Kokomo
    Are the newer Century Arms VSKAs any good. I’m not an AK guy to be honest but I do have a Polytech folder and an NHM91 and have been thinking I need a standard full stock AK. I’ve been trying to get a full stock Polytech I sold my friend years ago when I needed cash after open heart surgery but he says he’s going to his grave with it so I need to look elsewhere. I know where there is a very nice VSKA, like new, for around 7 bills. It’s flat black with plastic furniture, which I’d like to replace with wood, and looks unfired. I seem to recall Century AKs having issues back in the day. Thanks for your advice.
    With PSAs, Wasrs, and Zpaps on the market, there is zero reason to even look at any of the **** Century makes.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Are the newer Century Arms VSKAs any good. I’m not an AK guy to be honest but I do have a Polytech folder and an NHM91 and have been thinking I need a standard full stock AK. I’ve been trying to get a full stock Polytech I sold my friend years ago when I needed cash after open heart surgery but he says he’s going to his grave with it so I need to look elsewhere. I know where there is a very nice VSKA, like new, for around 7 bills. It’s flat black with plastic furniture, which I’d like to replace with wood, and looks unfired. I seem to recall Century AKs having issues back in the day. Thanks for your advice.
    most of the ak folks aren’t big on the VSKA.

this polish model seems to have a better reputation

pmbiker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    Corn & Bean
    These can be really hit or miss. A lot of people, myself included, have had to file on the mags to get them to fit several of my guns. Enough inconsistency and aggravation with these mags that I don't mess with them at all anymore, and wouldn't take any more for free. But with anything inconsistent, YMMV.
    I have a dozen of them from 3 separate purchases. All fit and lock into a Bulgarian, a Hungarian and a Saiga.

I did have some 20 round Hungarians that wouldn't fit into my Bulgarian milled rifle and needed a little filing. Never had an issue with the Croatians.

I guess buyer beware but I had no problems.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham

As a few others have said, I wouldn't mess with them either. Too many better options on the market, and Century has all but obliterated its reputation in the AK community for all of the turds it has built in house and let out into the wild. Its imports are generally okay, but I wouldn't trust any Century domestic built AK for even plinking duty. My first choice in your situation would be a new, or used but not abused WASR.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    As a few others have said, I wouldn't mess with them either. Too many better options on the market, and Century has all but obliterated its reputation in the AK community for all of the turds it has built in house and let out into the wild. Its imports are generally okay, but I wouldn't trust any Century domestic built AK for even plinking duty. My first choice in your situation would be a new, or used but not abused WASR.
    I’d really love to get my Polytech back since I bought it new and it matched the folder I have. Bought back in the day when they were less than $300 and had the folding spike bayonets and came with 3 mags and accessories. Really nice guns. Hard to believe all the Norincos and Polys have disappeared when there were stacks of them at the shows back then. I’m beginning to think my buddy is keeping it only because he knows how badly I want it back. Lol, jk, he’s been a good friend to me when I really needed one. The search continues.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    I’d really love to get my Polytech back since I bought it new and it matched the folder I have. Bought back in the day when they were less than $300 and had the folding spike bayonets and came with 3 mags and accessories. Really nice guns. Hard to believe all the Norincos and Polys have disappeared when there were stacks of them at the shows back then. I’m beginning to think my buddy is keeping it only because he knows how badly I want it back. Lol, jk, he’s been a good friend to me when I really needed one. The search continues.

The market on Chinese AKs today is just nuts. I have some pretty high end AK stuff but most of the Polytech guns are just too rich for my blood. I hope your bud comes around and sells it back to you.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Just a head's up.

When I was at my buddy's garage building my Romanian underfolder a gentlemen stopped in that he knew very well. I didn't know him at all. Looked to be in his 50s. We were talking kits and he said that he has a couple that was thinking of building out. He happened to have them with him. They were kits he bought at Knob Creek back in 2001. One kit was a Romy G kit with OG barrel and the other was a Hungarian AK63 underdolder kit with OG barrel. Both kits were still together with the stubs still riveted. Neither looked like the guns had been fired before being torch cut. He still had the receipts from when he bought them. $150 each is all he paid. Hindsight and all

FNparabellum

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Aug 30, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Anyone have any hands-on experience with Pod Arms .223 followers, for better or worse? I snagged a few to test out but haven't had a chance to get to the range yet. These things replace the followers in 5.45 mags, to give you more access to the plethora of AK-74 mags for your 5.56/.223 AK. I'm kinda digging the look of old bakelite and plum in a new Beryl.

View attachment 231922
    View attachment 231923
    Now those are some sharp looking firearms.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    300 more rounds through Riley Defense AK-74 Sunday. First hiccup, double feed, load the gun/unload the gun/load the gun cleared it.

Round MAY have been out of spec but cannot tell if it was originally or my clearing the malf caused any deformation. Mag was DDR bakelite.

Gun gets warm after 7th mag. Can smell it cooking after 10th mag.

One more session then may consider it for custom trigger and maybe a dot, one of those M68 clones from Vortex likely.

Angrysauce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 30, 2020
    Kokomo
    **B*TCHING POST**
    My mail carrier decided my Priority Express parcel didn't merit being delivered on time. So apparently a blackhole descended around my home while my entire family was home, in the front yard no less, and we were unreachable to USPS. My package then went back to the office where a wonderful and underpaid government worker decided to throw it in outgoing international mail.
    Been waiting 2 months on a package from RU and it was returned to sender without a delivery attempt.
    Thankfully, they told me to contact the shipper instead of being helpful.
    **** USPS
    Screenshot_20230316_171758_Gmail.jpg
    For context it was a Saiga 12 handguard.

Top Bottom