• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Angrysauce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 30, 2020
    Kokomo
    Yes and No. WBP is NOT a ‘long standing “military” arsenal’.
    I just read more on that. My understanding was they were a subsidiary of FB Radom. They are apparently only "affiliated" with Radom. They began as a factory making replacement parts and began making rifles within my lifetime.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    What's a good recommendation for a side mount rail system. Would like to add either a red dot or lpvo I'm thinking.
    20221029_184542.jpg Would the one linked below be decent and will it work with what I have? I'm new to the AK world. Thanks for any input

pmbiker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    Corn & Bean
    What's a good recommendation for a side mount rail system. Would like to add either a red dot or lpvo I'm thinking.
    View attachment 233624 Would the one linked below be decent and will it work with what I have? I'm new to the AK world. Thanks for any input

I've been looking at Midwest Industries, also RS Regulate. Don't have any first hand experience with either.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    RS Regulate is the nicest by far.

This is the way. Don't waste your time or money on junk. RS Regulate makes a modular mounting system for essentially all optics.

The only arguable downside it has it that it is two parts vs. MI mounts that are a single part - for the RS Regulate systems you need a lower mount, which slides onto your rail, and then a top mount, which bolts to the side mount and holds your optic. But this is a positive to me, because it gives you so many more options and versatility than MI mounts.

I've used nearly every commercial AK mount available, along with the majority of eastern block military mounts, and there is nothing - nothing - that compares to RS Regulate in my opinion.

Last edited:

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Good luck finding any in stock

It's getting easier. Decide on your preferred setup and then find a lower mount (front-biased, rear-biased, or full-length) and whatever upper mount you need. Check all the typical retailers that carry RS Regulate, sign up for any back-in-stock notifications if necessary, and follow RS Regulate on social media. They regularly post fresh batches of mount models that are nearing completion, along with the retailers that will have them in stock. There's always the secondhand market as well.

The founder/owner of RS Regulate is a member on the AK Files, and says he never runs surplus or excess inventory. He only produces what is ordered. Makes it a bit tougher for the consumer, but the business model seems to be working.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Many have seen my previous posts and pics of the Romy kit I got from Centerfire and the issues I stated. Still haven't heard back from them on whether they'd swap out gas tube and handguard. 3 days now. Today I get a package in the mail from them. I think "wow, they just sent another when I told them I'd trade mine out. How cool of them." I open it up and find a brand new production gas tube and blonde handguard. My excitement went south pretty quick as I stood there with it in hand just staring at it. I told them specifically in my email I DID NOT want "new" parts. I wanted romy surplus that was period correct. And that I wasn't expecting perfect. I wish they would emailed me what they were doing so I could just tell them to keep it and not waste their time. It's not even close to a match. I went ahead and fixed the cracked handguard with industrial wood glue. I'll just roll with it. I appreciate their effort but they didn't "fix" anything.
    20221029_210050.jpg

knutty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 5, 2016
    Noblesville
    View attachment 233624 Would the one linked below be decent and will it work with what I have? I'm new to the AK world. Thanks for any input

I'm a big fan of Master Mounts side rail, nobody mentioned them yet.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    If you don't mind taking off your rear leaf sight then these are very slick. I don't own one but have seen one on a friend's rifle. Red dot directly mounted to it. Has a notch cut so you still have iron sights in the lower 1/3 field of view. Very slick. Thinking of one for my WASR

pmbiker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    Corn & Bean
    Previously, my Bulgarian SLR-101 (cousin of the slr-95 but imported as a single stack and milled out in Nevada) had been wearing an AR type buffer tube and a Magpul stock. Lower tang wasn't required, and it is riveted in place, so I cut it off @1/16 proud of the back of the receiver.

Now I'm going with the Bonesteel folder and it needs one screw in the lower tang....which is now gone. The one I ordered from kvar doesn't have the holes for the rivets drilled....:wallbash:

This weekend I'll be removing the stub from the receiver, locating and drilling the holes in the new tang, securing it to the receiver and installing the folder properly.

kBk wz. 1970

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 16, 2021
    Carroll County
    Previously, my Bulgarian SLR-101 (cousin of the slr-95 but imported as a single stack and milled out in Nevada) had been wearing an AR type buffer tube and a Magpul stock. Lower tang wasn't required, and it is riveted in place, so I cut it off @1/16 proud of the back of the receiver.

Now I'm going with the Bonesteel folder and it needs one screw in the lower tang....which is now gone. The one I ordered from kvar doesn't have the holes for the rivets drilled....:wallbash:

This weekend I'll be removing the stub from the receiver, locating and drilling the holes in the new tang, securing it to the receiver and installing the folder properly.
    Any pics of before->during->after would be cool.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

I wonder what an AK would look like with nice walnut furniture like this?

Put several coats of clear gloss varnish on it.
    1667563258571.png

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    IWI's rock n' lock 13" Galil ACE in 5.56 - the civilian version of the military ACE 22 - is officially for sale:

Galil-13-RL-R-scaled.jpg

Anybody here snagging one? The now-discontinued sibling of this in 5.45x39 is without question my favorite gun. I wasn't interested in the 8" 5.56 pistol or any of the STANAG ACEs, but this thing is downright sexy as hell. To me, these Gen-1 ACEs look so much better than the gen-2 offerings, but I wish IWI wouldn't make everything "limited edition." I think there's something like 500 of these ACE 22 clones up for grabs.

knutty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 5, 2016
    Noblesville
    IWI's rock n' lock 13" Galil ACE in 5.56 - the civilian version of the military ACE 22 - is officially for sale:

Galil-13-RL-R-scaled.jpg

Anybody here snagging one? The now-discontinued sibling of this in 5.45x39 is without question my favorite gun. I wasn't interested in the 8" 5.56 pistol or any of the STANAG ACEs, but this thing is downright sexy as hell. To me, these Gen-1 ACEs look so much better than the gen-2 offerings, but I wish IWI wouldn't make everything "limited edition." I think there's something like 500 of these ACE 22 clones up for grabs.

I'm thinking about it.....but I might hold out for a 16" model if it happens. Don't want to mess with braces with the incoming BS or SBR stuff either. 13" is a bit short for a pin and weld.

But yeah, get rid of that polymer grip/magwell and rivet in a proper trigger guard, then a classic Galil grip.. Then a RS Regulate rail. Would be a sweet setup!

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Thanks, kBk. Now off to the races - does anyone have a favorite combloc AK optic?
    Yep, I have a Russian POSP scope with the Russian mount on mine! I started with a Chi-com rifle with the keyhole stock, didn't look like it had ever been shot, know the guy I bought it from had it several years and never fired it. I made it 922 compliant, changed all the furniture with new. (kept all the old parts in case it becomes really collectable! The addition of the scope mount did mean I had to add one threaded hole in the receiver.

pmbiker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    Corn & Bean
    Any pics of before->during->after would be cool.
    I had already started the surgery so I went back and mocked up the way it used to look. If you see gaps.... nothing is tightened down. MI upper hg is removed 'cuz I have one inbound for a RMR pattern red dot.
    IMG_20221106_135529249.jpg
    Drilled out the rivets, popped off the old tang stub and located the holes on the new one. I'll drill it tomorrow at work on a press....with proper bits. I might have shattered 3-4 cheap bits doing the rivets..... IMG_20221106_135832579.jpg
    IMG_20221106_135814811.jpg
    IMG_20221106_135910618.jpg
    New style, no lower tang yet.
    IMG_20221025_202010737.jpg

kBk wz. 1970

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 16, 2021
    Carroll County
    So if a guy wants to build what's the top 2 best receivers to build off of that's currently available. And in the event a guy doesn't want to spend $1500+ on a imported kit, which front and rear trunnions would you buy?
    Rear trunnion would be the least of my worries. You don’t sound like an AK guy by asking-

Top Bottom