• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    So if a guy wants to build what's the top 2 best receivers to build off of that's currently available. And in the event a guy doesn't want to spend $1500+ on a imported kit, which front and rear trunnions would you buy?

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    The Okp-7 looks the best imo. Wish it was easier to get them stateside and cheaper.

Even pre-COVID, I believe there was like one guy with a small Russian outfit basically building these things on an order-by-order basis. The wait times were crazy long and communications were understandably poor. Add to that a really expensive up-front cost requirement, and most folks here didn't want to the roll the dice.

But agreed - it looks like an awesome optic. The newer 77 version has multiple dot colors, and multiple reticles kinda like a Kobra.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    So if a guy wants to build what's the top 2 best receivers to build off of that's currently available. And in the event a guy doesn't want to spend $1500+ on a imported kit, which front and rear trunnions would you buy?

Stamped? Recreator and Childers - full stop.

I prefer Recreator as they tend to be slightly more period correct for many clones. But I have both and they are excellent options. I think Recreator tends to run a longer labor turn-around time though. My last two Recreator 100% Romanian receivers took several months to ship.

And depending on the build, without knowing more details I'd just look for compatible surplus eastern-bloc trunnions. Polish stuff is usually a pretty good analog for builds (again, assuming you are putting together something relatively common).

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    EA09BC48-64C0-4417-8222-FB460A1ADC24.jpeg 5405C3F6-C6A4-4A20-97B0-BD99B509D48E.jpeg
    Okay, this is my Maadi that I would like to change out the furniture. Anyone messed with this set up before? Instead of a regular bottom up grip screw it has this giant headed screw inside the receiver. It is too wide to come out easily.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Stamped? Recreator and Childers - full stop.

I prefer Recreator as they tend to be slightly more period correct for many clones. But I have both and they are excellent options. I think Recreator tends to run a longer labor turn-around time though. My last two Recreator 100% Romanian receivers took several months to ship.

And depending on the build, without knowing more details I'd just look for compatible surplus eastern-bloc trunnions. Polish stuff is usually a pretty good analog for builds (again, assuming you are putting together something relatively common).
    Those are the 2 receivers that I've read to be the best thus far. I've found Romanian parts kits minus barrel and receiver at a reasonable price. Only thing is they're all underfolder kits. Look neat but suck to shoot. Have a buddy that has built several on Childers and he has rear trunnion for a standard stamped AKM if I decided to go with a traditional stock

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    View attachment 230875 View attachment 230876
    Okay, this is my Maadi that I would like to change out the furniture. Anyone messed with this set up before? Instead of a regular bottom up grip screw it has this giant headed screw inside the receiver. It is too wide to come out easily.
    Definitely not a "factory" mount. Pull that screw and a regular grip nut should drop in.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    What print craft said.
    Get the bolt out and wooden laminate with a black grip
    You’ll be good to go.
    Is it threaded for a slant comp?

ltromann

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2022
    Santa Claus, IN
    View attachment 230875 View attachment 230876
    Check out Kalahnicarver. He did some custom furniture for mine and it turned out really well. Pick type of wood, color, and style and make edits if desired.
    He's got a little bit of a wait time, but it turns out well

Attachments

• 20220921_014051.jpg
      20220921_014051.jpg
      712.9 KB · Views: 27

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Definitely not a "factory" mount. Pull that screw and a regular grip nut should drop in.
    That's the thing though, I have tried pulling that screw out of the receiver and get it up and through. it is too wide to come up through the braces. I will keep working on it.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Sounds like a job for the Dremel cutting wheel

+1. Looks like one of those hideous old ATI polymer sets. Not worth anything. Dremel + some beat up Romanian wood and bakelite is what I'd do, until you can find some surplus Egyptian furniture. Any standard surplus AKM grip screw and nut will work.

ETA - And I can't fully tell from the photo, but if you remove the selector and FCG it appears you may have better luck with that bolt.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    That's the thing though, I have tried pulling that screw out of the receiver and get it up and through. it is too wide to come up through the braces. I will keep working on it.
    Get it figured out bro. I just happen to have some AK wood furniture in the classifieds. Just sayin' ;)

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Anyone have any hands-on experience with Pod Arms .223 followers, for better or worse? I snagged a few to test out but haven't had a chance to get to the range yet. These things replace the followers in 5.45 mags, to give you more access to the plethora of AK-74 mags for your 5.56/.223 AK. I'm kinda digging the look of old bakelite and plum in a new Beryl.

20221021_174516.jpg
    20221021_174449.jpg

pmbiker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    Corn & Bean
    Doing a winter re-do on my Bulgarian Slr-101. Currently it's bastardized with an AR type buffer tube, Magpul stock, Midwest Industries railed handguards and a tech-sight rear peep.

Going to a Bonesteel folder, wood or plastic handguards and a standard rear sight/mini red-dot. I've ordered the stock and I'm still doing research on my optic mount options. I still have the old standard black plastic hg.... probably start with them for now.

I like my ar's but there's just something visceral about shooting an AK.

Top Bottom