• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylynsur

Shooter
    Aug 12, 2022
    Evansville
    I have been collecting ww2 replica airsoft guns for a minute and I must say . They are a great alternative to wasting time as real firearms! They can also suck your wallet dry

My first was the WE tech 1911a1 gov and I must say it’s amazing. All metal . Co2 blow back. Last round hold open . All that

Some dude on YouTube hand fitted a 22lr slide on his frame and it functions. I won’t even do that because the pot metal won’t last and will ruin my airsoft pistol, but for the record the frame seems to be an exact copy of the real one minus the ejector (that’s why 22lr will only work)

My next purchase was the WE m1a1 Thompson. Cost about 400 . You can attach the real wood to it. And I even put a real steel front sight on her to replace the orange one. I opted to fill my hollow plastic wood with hot glue to add weight and rid it of the hollow plastic sound. It actually worked so well I was shocked. Other mods were replacing the barrel bolt with a longer one . Everything else is such good replica quality. The trigger group is almost so real that the ATF actually took one to study it as it might be considered a machine gun part with the open bolt full auto sear trigger. I mean the gun functions exactly like the real Thompson. From an open bolt. With semi/full selector. I absolutely love it . Got the replica sling and mag pouch to go with it .

My last purchase was a king arms m1 carbine para model. Real wood . Discontinued production I think at this point.

It’s having trouble cycling. Bolt holds up mid action. I’ve taken everything apart and inspected oiled it all . Except the bolt internals . Which I’m going to dive into later this summer. New bolts are 40 bucks but I’d rather try to fix this one. Could be a simple bad o ring not allowing pressure to build.

I guess the point of this post is to see how many of you guys collect these high end replicas ? They are very impressive and well designed

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I've had a lot of airsoft over the years they are fun. You need to grab one of those Garands i've seen.

Hkindiana

Master
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I've had a lot of airsoft over the years they are fun. You need to grab one of those Garands i've seen.

But, the $509 price is more than I have paid for most of my REAL GARANDS!!!

Basher

Expert
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    But, the $509 price is more than I have paid for most of my REAL GARANDS!!!

But less than half the cost of most Garands at 2022 prices, and “feeding” them is literally hundreds of times less expensive, so there’s that. I just googled it, and a quality 0.2g BB runs about $0.002 each, whereas decent .30-06 is about $1.25-1.50 a shot unless you’re reloading.

Don’t get me wrong, NOTHING compares to the satisfying ping of an enbloc clip popping out of a Garand, but for people who just want to enjoy the feel of a Garand, the airsoft version might be enough to scratch that itch at a significant savings. Or if you like to actually play “milsim” WWII airsoft re-enactments.

Squid556

Expert
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    I’ve had the same thought from time to time. Had a 40 dollar metal 1911 growing up. Got used to it. Later on as an adult when I bought my Colt government model, I was surprised how similar the two to each other. The Colt felt like completely familiar to me.

So yeah to scratch the itch of handling and looking at it occasionally…. Could be a good idea on things that would normally be expensive to buy, especially considering that a lot of gun owners just buy to collect and rarely shoot (unfortunately)

My unicorn would be a Browning Automatic Rifle. Never get to own a real one but man it would be cool to have a steel replica mounted on my mantle.

Atlantic firearms has one for $300
    Would make a great man cave piece.

Could also get an air soft variant for the same price. Might not feel as good as the replica but at least you could shoot it.

Last edited:

Hkindiana

Master
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I’ve had the same thought from time to time. Had a 40 dollar metal 1911 growing up. Got used to it. Later on as an adult when I bought my Colt government model, I was surprised how similar the two to each other. The Colt felt like completely familiar to me.

So yeah to scratch the itch of handling and looking at it occasionally…. Could be a good idea on things that would normally be expensive to buy, especially considering that a lot of gun owners just buy to collect and rarely shoot (unfortunately)

My unicorn would be a Browning Automatic Rifle. Never get to own a real one but man it would be cool to have a steel replica mounted on my mantle.

Atlantic firearms has one for $300
    Would make a great man cave piece.

Could also get an air soft variant for the same price. Might not feel as good as the replica but at least you could shoot it.
    The replica is SOLID RESIN, so the airsoft version would be the better choice, unless you like non functional plastic

Top Bottom