Airguns... not your Grandma's Red Ryder BB gun anymore!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Oh, and I wish I had more time to take my .22 springer to the range. I really need to get it dialed in, but no matter what I do its just not that accurate. I'm familiar with the proper holding technique for springers, but its all over the paper at 25 yards. Ive tried multiple brands and weights but no joy. So frustrating.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    My old 177 gamo shadow springer has eliminated a lot of small critters and starlings. That said, everything has to be perfect for hoped consistency. Still plenty of perfect misses with no explanation.

I have never gotten my Benjamin Trail NP .22 springer to shoot consistently. Found out from a friend with one that the Crosman Premier domed pellets shoot terribly out of this gun. Ugh, I had a stock of these. (Ironically, these cheap pellets shoot very well out if the M-rod.) Go figure?

Chuck26287

Plinker
    Dec 31, 2008
    Anderson, IN
    Thanks for that second video on the Girandoni Airgun, Tank... just goes to show, there really nothing new under the sun I guess... just new bells and whistles! That's a pretty amazing gun.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Rotten weather pushed some kitchen table air gun smithing today. Glass, triggers, etc...

20201029-201908.jpg

Chuck26287

Plinker
    Dec 31, 2008
    Anderson, IN
    Rotten weather pushed some kitchen table air gun smithing today. Glass, triggers, etc...

If you have to have lousy weather, that's a nice way to spend it. Good looking airguns!

I like that white wire rack of exploding targets you have in the background there too!

Flight567

Plinker
    Jun 8, 2020
    US
    I'm into airsofting for training, but I've always found the idea of the precharged pneumatic air guns really interesting.

If you had to start again, but on the budget of a college student what do you think you would get in that category?

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Gd999

Sharpshooter
    Nov 24, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I have a Weihrauch HW30k .177 with a scope and built in silencer. Got it for around $600 from Airguns of Arizona. It’s a break barrel type. Very accurate. But it wasn’t enough to kill some varmints.

I got a new Daystate Huntsman Regal with a MTC optics scope and a DonnyFL silencer. It’s the pcp style. I started out with a hand pump but that was a pain. I found a $500 electric pump and it made things much easier. They need to fill to 4500 psi. The gun before the electric pump was about $1800. The air gun place installed the scope and set it all up.

The new gun can one shot kill about any smaller animal. Raccoons are one shot. It’s very powerful.

BHiland

Plinker
    Jan 17, 2021
    Brazil
    I have a Gamo whisper fusion 177 and a Benjamin 22. I'd like to get into to the better more powerful ones. Would love a Daystate red wolf.

Gd999

Sharpshooter
    Nov 24, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I have a Gamo whisper fusion 177 and a Benjamin 22. I'd like to get into to the better more powerful ones. Would love a Daystate red wolf.
    I had a two month wait or so for airguns of Arizona to get my daystate huntsman in stock last spring/early summer. They said they were the busiest they have ever been by far. I guess people who can’t get other guns are getting whatever protection they can. So I expect they are still similar wait times. They didn’t charge me until the gun came in. So maybe you can time it and get the gun when you are ready to buy. I even noticed some pellets are out of stock. Similar stock issues all across.

Mongo59

Master
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Oh, and I wish I had more time to take my .22 springer to the range. I really need to get it dialed in, but no matter what I do its just not that accurate. I'm familiar with the proper holding technique for springers, but its all over the paper at 25 yards. Ive tried multiple brands and weights but no joy. So frustrating.
    You can't 'pull it in' like any other rifle. With springers you just hold it up loosely and apply the trigger. It takes a bit of 'un-training' to get you there but the groups will get smaller and smaller the 'softer' your hold.

Of course, the next time you shoot the 7mm mag it will kick the lungs out of you...

Mongo59

Master
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I Bought a second hand R2, back in the day, with the iron sights and scope in .20cal for a whole $75. Retail of gun only was $700.

It will bring down anything that climbs a tree around here.

I entertain myself shooting the stems off of hickory nuts and then shooting the nuts after they fall into the drive off of my back porch.

The .20cal isn't that popular (and some folks haven't even heard of it) but it hits harder than a .177 with a flatter trajectory than the .22.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I received this steel pellet gun target as a gift. It resets itself with the bottom target. Man is this thing fun. My boy and I were having a ball with it at 10 yards this afternoon. He'd hit the top and I'd pop the bottom and reset it.

PXL_20210403_223211852.jpg PXL_20210403_220136142.jpg PXL_20210403_220125675.jpg PXL_20210403_223712638.jpg

Last edited:

baranjhn

Marksman
    Mar 8, 2021
    Lafayette
    .....perhaps it could become a STICKY, or even an airgun Sub-Forum category?) that will hopefully go somewhere, and be found to be enjoyable and enlightening to those with little or no exposure to today's airguns.
    +1 on creating a an airgun sub forum!

I have been an avid air gunner as an adult now for over 25 years and even though I still collect and shoot firearms, most of my collection are high airguns which I should more frequently than my powder burners

baranjhn

Marksman
    Mar 8, 2021
    Lafayette
    Chuck. Did you see the Midway USA's Gun Stories episode about air rifles? It was very informative. I had no idea they went back a few hundred years.

Found a knock off recording of part of the episode.

[video=youtube_share;-ISj0uhZUMg]

Airguns date back to the 1600's when they were the stuff of kings!

JSJamboree

Plinker
    Oct 9, 2013
    Avon
    Loud too though. Break action piston rifles these days pack a real punch too. However, they will also get calls placed as they sound just like a .22lr

Top Bottom