• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baranjhn

Marksman
    Mar 8, 2021
    Lafayette
    I’d like to get one of these new air rifles. I have a cheap pump action .177 that I take grackles with but is pretty weak. I’ve seen people hunt coons and even hogs on YouTube but I’ve not shot one of those style. Question though. I am not a fan of shooting a .22 rim fire in the air on my property. Would one of these new pcp pellet rifles be “safer” ie travel less distance? I’ve heard lots of recommendations for .25 caliber over .22 and.177. How would that do for coon hunting?
    Pellets generally shed velocity quickly due to the design, so they don’t travel as far as bullets. If you use slugs then their distance is improved.

Depending upon what airgun you choose, .177, 20, .22, .25, .30 or .35, all can be capable of safely and humanely taking a raccoon.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Oct 9, 2010
    I’d like to get one of these new air rifles. I have a cheap pump action .177 that I take grackles with but is pretty weak. I’ve seen people hunt coons and even hogs on YouTube but I’ve not shot one of those style. Question though. I am not a fan of shooting a .22 rim fire in the air on my property. Would one of these new pcp pellet rifles be “safer” ie travel less distance? I’ve heard lots of recommendations for .25 caliber over .22 and.177. How would that do for coon hunting?
    My Weihrauch springer owners' manuals state the potential danger zone, under ideal launch conditions, is out to 450 yards. From my experience with shotgun pellets, that's probably about right.

...even less if it goes through a critter first...;)

pinshooter45

Master
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Depends on the ammo used. A PCP can use "Slugs" which are shaped like bullets and can really fly well, so range will be farther. But a normal wasp waist pellet by design slows down quickly. Some PCPs can take small game at close to 200 yards when using slugs, in fact there are a few PCPs that approach 22lr power. However a Magnum gas piston break barrel will handle lots of small game once you master the "Artillery Hold".

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    I guess I’ll jump in this one. The budget you have set is pretty much going to rule out almost any pcp (especially when the ancillary equipment is considered. Even a hand pump is going be $50-$100).

The Benjamins are great guns but, again out of your budget.

In your price range most of the rest are a little small with few exceptions.

Maybe you should consider a .22 rifle loaded with CB longs? With CB longs the powder burner and pcp gun have very comparable ballistics. Don’t think pcp slugs will be inexpensive as pellets are. You will find the cost of slugs similar to cheap 22 lr ammo.

Glocker99

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Jul 13, 2020
    Westfield
    Was just looking at Pyramyd Air and they have a Umarex Gauntlet that is very inexpensive for a PCP, would still need to get a hand pump, but that wouldn't be too far out of your price range, might give it a look. .22 cal is better for hunting than .177 cal, but either would work for chipmunks. Good luck in your search and may sure using an air gun in your area is legal, some places it isn't legal.

Mongo59

Master
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Have you ever used one of those hand pumps? It is not for the old and infirm I can tell you that.

I know many think the springers are not up to the standards of a PCP, but if the standard is killing a squirrel I would say they are equal to that task.

I would doubt you will be hunting squirrels in the tops of redwoods on the west coast, but I can sit on my porch with my 20cal Beeman and shoot the pig nuts out of the tree by hitting the stem and then blowing the nut apart after it hits the ground. Any squirrel smaller than the stem to a pignut you won't want...

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Oct 9, 2010
    I guess I’ll jump in this one. The budget you have set is pretty much going to rule out almost any pcp (especially when the ancillary equipment is considered. Even a hand pump is going be $50-$100).

The Benjamins are great guns but, again out of your budget.

In your price range most of the rest are a little small with few exceptions.

Maybe you should consider a .22 rifle loaded with CB longs? With CB longs the powder burner and pcp gun have very comparable ballistics. Don’t think pcp slugs will be inexpensive as pellets are. You will find the cost of slugs similar to cheap 22 lr ammo.
    I used to be of this opinion on CB longs, but the problem that I found after actually testing them, is accuracy. If you actually shoot enough of them on paper to develop groups to evaluate, you see that all of the CB products (short, long) are terrible in accuracy. I'm talking, one round out of 5 could completely miss a small target at across-the-porch distance.

The CCI "Quiet" rounds are a considerable improvement over the ones labeled CB. The CB product is a 29 grain projectile at somewhere around 700 fps, but the powder charges seem to be hella inconsistent. When you move up to CCI Quiet, you're getting the same 700fps, but now it's with a full 40-grain bullet, and the powder charge is proportionately stepped up to a level that can be heard. They are a little more noise than a CB, but more accurate. Not as accurate as standard-velocity 22LR, but more quiet, and a substantial accuracy improvement over CBs with their 29 grain projectiles.

The gold standard, of course, is 22LR standard velocity. But for situations where that isn't warranted, CCI Quiet is the next best balance of power and accuracy. If significantly less power can be tolerated (or is desired), then a good airgun will be more accurate than a CB round. Honestly, when I saw what the real-world accuracy of CB cartridges is when grouped on paper, I consider them next to worthless. I can see why the "Quiet" line with the 40 gr. projectiles was developed. I don't know if the 29 grainers at 700fps don't generate enough back pressure to give consistent powder burn or what, but if you group 10 CBs at 10 or 15 yards it is surprisingly disappointing.

Last edited:

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    I used to be of this opinion on CB longs, but the problem that I found after actually testing them, is accuracy. If you actually shoot enough of them on paper to develop groups to evaluate, you see that all of the CB products (short, long) are terrible in accuracy. I'm talking, one round out of 5 could completely miss a small target at across-the-porch distance.

The CCI "Quiet" rounds are a considerable improvement over the ones labeled CB. The CB product is a 29 grain projectile at somewhere around 700 fps, but the powder charges seem to be hella inconsistent. When you move up to CCI Quiet, you're getting the same 700fps, but now it's with a full 40-grain bullet, and the powder charge is proportionately stepped up to a level that can be heard. They are a little more noise than a CB, but more accurate. Not as accurate as standard-velocity 22LR, but more quiet, and a substantial accuracy improvement over CBs with their 29 grain projectiles.

The gold standard, of course, is 22LR standard velocity. But for situations where that isn't warranted, CCI Quiet is the next best balance of power and accuracy. If significantly less power can be tolerated (or is desired), then a good airgun will be more accurate than a CB round. Honestly, when I saw what the real-world accuracy of CB cartridges is when grouped on paper, I consider them next to worthless. I can see why the "Quiet" line with the 40 gr. projectiles was developed. I don't know if the 29 grainers at 700fps don't generate enough back pressure to give consistent powder burn or what, but if you group 10 CBs at 10 or 15 yards it is surprisingly disappointing.
    Your information is very good to know! You have given me a new research project. I think I’ll try several guns and whatever variety of cb caps that I can find to see if I can get a group.

Who ever thought about testing cb accuracy on anything but a can? Lol

Great to know. Thanks

Ashton1911

Marksman
    Feb 21, 2022
    Indianapolis
    I have used a ruger .177 on squirrels, starlings, and successfully on a raccoon. The raccoon wasn't a clean kill, but i was in city limits, and didn't want to try my luck with an arrow when the raccoons were menacing my cats. I threw a few pellets into it, and it ran and hid in dense brush. Went quiet in less than 5 minutes, and we pulled it out and buried it the next day. I would have liked to make it cleaner, but at that time, those seemed to be my options.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I know what not to use. I have a FWB 10 meter regulated target air rifle with a set of Anschutz small bore target sights It is very accurate. Hitting is not the problem, it is too weak of a hit.

The 500 fps regulation will sometimes take a second shot for even a little ground squirrel or gopher. A common gray squirrel in a tree will usually escape wounded. While they may die later, that is not a good outcome in my book.

Power with poor accuracy is not good. Accuracy with low power is not good for hunting.

scuzee

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Jun 6, 2023
    South Bend
    I have a Weihrauch HW 30 in .177 and it is perfectly capable of squirrel hunting. Like said before, accuracy is the key. I would say a low power scope is a necessity as well.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Oct 9, 2010
    I have a Weihrauch HW 30 in .177 and it is perfectly capable of squirrel hunting. Like said before, accuracy is the key. I would say a low power scope is a necessity as well.
    That is a surprisingly capable gun. It is accurate enough for head shots. Moderate velocity, but will penetrate one side of a shaving cream can at 20 yards. Firing offhand, the more powerful guns also vibrate more violently, and it can be really touchy getting accuracy with them if you're not very careful.

scuzee

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Jun 6, 2023
    South Bend
    That is a surprisingly capable gun. It is accurate enough for head shots. Moderate velocity, but will penetrate one side of a shaving cream can at 20 yards. Firing offhand, the more powerful guns also vibrate more violently, and it can be really touchy getting accuracy with them if you're not very careful.
    Yeah at longer ranges depending on how you hold the gun it can shoot all over the place. You have to establish a repeatable grip on the spring guns in order to get consistent accuracy. Plus you need to make sure your scope is springer rated and your scope rings have pins that will fit into the receiver, otherwise the scope will likely move over time as you shoot it. I learned that the hard way!

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Oct 9, 2010
    Yeah at longer ranges depending on how you hold the gun it can shoot all over the place. You have to establish a repeatable grip on the spring guns in order to get consistent accuracy. Plus you need to make sure your scope is springer rated and your scope rings have pins that will fit into the receiver, otherwise the scope will likely move over time as you shoot it. I learned that the hard way!
    I could not believe a 620 fps gun could walk the scope off the gun within 20 shots.

Caleb8521

Plinker
    Nov 7, 2022
    Woodburn
    I will admit the only think I know about air rifles is I had a crossman as a kid. I scanned some of these post but didn’t find what I was looking for. I am looking for an air rifle to try this year for squirrels. What would be a good rifle? What are you guys using?
    Gammo makes amazing air guns I’ve used them for the past 6 years and love them. 177 is okay and does the job but .22 is so much more forgiving.

Caleb8521

Plinker
    Nov 7, 2022
    Woodburn
    I am a PCP guy myself have a couple FX guns and barrels love my shorty .22 impact set up for packing around. If I want to stretch it out I have .25 and .30cal 700mm barrel setups. unfortunately those guns aren’t really in your price range.
    What pcp do you recommend I want to get into them. I want a .25 but don’t want to spend much over 1k

Butch627

Master
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I have a 25 marauder. It is far more accurate than I could ever hope to be. It is also very big and heavy. If a target is stationary or moving slowly on the ground its a bullseye. If something small like a squirrel is moving around in a tree it is impossible for me to keep up with it and get a shot lined up. FWIW when I bought it I went 25 figuring it would be slower and quieter. I later found out that the 22 is quieter. 22 can be found everywhere, I have to order 25 online. I would really like to find something much smaller and lighter and still quiet to dispatch squirrels in my trees.

baranjhn

Marksman
    Mar 8, 2021
    Lafayette
    I have a 25 marauder. It is far more accurate than I could ever hope to be. It is also very big and heavy. If a target is stationary or moving slowly on the ground its a bullseye. If something small like a squirrel is moving around in a tree it is impossible for me to keep up with it and get a shot lined up. FWIW when I bought it I went 25 figuring it would be slower and quieter. I later found out that the 22 is quieter. 22 can be found everywhere, I have to order 25 online. I would really like to find something much smaller and lighter and still quiet to dispatch squirrels in my trees.
    Try a Benjamin Fortitude. They are regulated, have a magazine and have a shrouded (moderated) barrel.

Then there is the Benjamin Marauder pistol (one of my favorites), they come with a shoulder stock, magazine and also have a shrouded (moderated) barrel.

The new Notos Carbine is all the rage too. Very small, light and handy. 20 ft. lbs of energy, regulated, moderated and has a magazine. $264 at Pyramyd air, plus take 12% off for their 4th of July sale.

If money isn't an issue, there are a plethora airgun to fit your needs.

Top Bottom