• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    I will admit the only think I know about air rifles is I had a crossman as a kid. I scanned some of these post but didn’t find what I was looking for. I am looking for a air rifle to try this year for squirrels. What would be a good rifle? What are you guys using?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Your budget can be the determining factor. A nice break barrel will be $150-$200. A PCP (pre charged pneumatic) will start about $250 and go up from there. Plus a way to fill the tanks.

Pest control around my yard where a 25 yard shot is a long shot and my Gamo break barrel will hold it's own if I do my part.

66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    Your budget can be the determining factor. A nice break barrel will be $150-$200. A PCP (pre charged pneumatic) will start about $250 and go up from there. Plus a way to fill the tanks.

Pest control around my yard where a 25 yard **** isa long shot and my Gamo break barrel will hold it's own if I do my part.
    I was thinking $300 max for everything. I guess I need to do more research between the differences between a break barrel and a PCP.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I was thinking $300 max for everything. I guess I need to do more research between the differences between a break barrel and a PCP.

More money up front for the Mrod, but a much better investment. I bought both my .22 Mrod and the Prod out of our INGO classifieds. Couldn't be happier.

I'm quite content hand pumping the PCPs. Every time I pump one back up, I feel good about my frugality in not throwing more money at expensive additions.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I've got a Crosman Nitro Piston .22 break action, and it has 2 woodchucks under it's belt this year. One at 40 yards the other at 25.

It would easily work on squirrels

Whip_McCord

Expert
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I have several airguns. I never wantd to mess with the PCP guns. My spring guns work fine. Now many have the nitro piston, so you don't need to worry about the pring breaking.

I have a couple that I use for chipmonks. If they are closer than 30 yards, I use a Beeman P-1 pistol with a red dot. Further than 30 yards and I use my Beeman R-11 rifle with a 16X airgun scope. My best shot was 75 yards. Hit the chipmonk on the first shot. Fun stuff.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Oct 3, 2012
    Rifles are too big for squirrels to handle.

I recommend a small pistol.

:)

Correct. Length of pull is problematic due to short limbs. Lack of a fully developed thumb can also make actions like loading a magazine or cocking a hammer problematic. As such, I suggest arming your squirrels with DAO revolvers. They are also mostly red/green colorblind, so pick brass, yellow, or orange for high viz sights. Orange maybe problematic in the fall in their natural habitat, though.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Correct. Length of pull is problematic due to short limbs. Lack of a fully developed thumb can also make actions like loading a magazine or cocking a hammer problematic. As such, I suggest arming your squirrels with DAO revolvers. They are also mostly red/green colorblind, so pick brass, yellow, or orange for high viz sights. Orange maybe problematic in the fall in their natural habitat, though.
    As a bonus, no state requires a permit for a squirrel to carry.

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Aug 2, 2008
    This is the advantage of PCP- unbeatable accuracy and point of impact doesn't change. This is 5 shots with 25.9 grain pellets @ 850 fps,range 27 yards,checking the rifle before going hunting. Aiming at the bottom spot on the wood and hitting about 1/4" high. You won't get groups like this from a hunting springer... 52307270574_dae324c301_c (1).jpg

Top Bottom